What music are you listening to right now?

Skrying said:
I think the SYL style wears thin rather quick, but that's the nature of it. Pure aggresion for no reason, you have to be in the mood for it. This is why I really enjoy his projects like Ocean Machine which have much greater depth.

I've been listening to Katatonia's "This Great Cold Distance" and its a real departure from any of their past styles. Now, under I consider Katatonia to have had three previous styles and now with this album, four. A real evolving band, I'm not so sure I like the new style, but I said the same thing about each of the past. This is much more technical (but in the scheme of things still tame) with a Katatonia styling to it. The vocals went away from being the driving force to a much greater guitar work. You've got Renkse with his clean and dreadful vocals but Nyström's guitar really comes out with something truly new. The drummer is also showing some great skill.

Overall an interesting release, hard to say if its my favorite work of theirs or not yet, very good though and very interesting.

Katatonia - Follower
Or you just have to like metal :p

Katatonia is great imo.
The Great Cold has a nice edge to it.. the first track especially :D
I got into them a few months ago when I picked up their black sessions compilation.
Now I got all their stuff.
I think I like Discouraged Ones the best.

John Prine, his self-titled first album from way back in I think 1970. :)

My parents took me to see him and Steve Goodman up at the Earle of Old Town back in '71-2 when I was 5 or 6, one of my fave childhood memories from that time period.

David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Scary Monsters

Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to tell

is what I've been listening to today.

In Flames, Accept (Wolf H rules), Bruce Dickinson (Jerusalem).

And some Tommy Emmanuel when i want some softer stuff. Man, can he play the guitar.

digitalwanderer said:
My parents took me to see him and Steve Goodman up at the Earle of Old Town back in '71-2 when I was 5 or 6, one of my fave childhood memories from that time period.

My older sisters dragged me a a Osmond Brothers concert.

"And they called it puppy loooooveeee. . . ." :cry:

Recently ripped some songs from my old CD collection. The following compilation CD consists of quite a number of songs that was categorized as "British New Wave" (mostly 80's) but are boogie-licious in my car :

Shout (remix) - Tears For Fears
Don't You Want Me (remix) - Human League
Relax - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
Funky Town - Blondie (yeah!!)
Give It Up - KC & Sunshine Band
Gloria - Laura Branigan
I Ran - A Flock Of Seagulls
Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Love Is A Battlefield - Pat Benatar
Love Shack (remix) - B-52s
Down Under - Men At Work
Take On Me - A-HA
Tainted Love (remix) - Soft Cell (I'd forgotten how good this one is!)
Only The Lonely - The Motels
(Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones

I couldn't resist including the last one! :)

Nom De Guerre said:
Recently ripped some songs from my old CD collection. The following compilation CD consists of quite a number of songs that was categorized as "British New Wave" (mostly 80's) but are boogie-licious in my car :

What, you mean you don't listen to Light & Easy?!

Krust - Hidden Knowledge
DJ Fresh - Escape from Planet Monday

Someone just introduced me to M.I.R.V. so now I'm on a quest to find the CDs I lack. Pretty interesting musical mix varying from rock, country and, yes, opera. Apparently the singer has training as an opera singer... and he does sing some opera on some songs. Their version of ""O Sole Mio" is pretty interesting.

Tool.

And that's it. Some In Flames, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Led Zeppelin - The BBC Sessions.

I listen to a fairely wide selection of music but nothing I have ever heard comes close to Zeppelin.

MuFu said:
What, you mean you don't listen to Light & Easy?!
Hey, a fellow Malaysian! :)

Anyway, no, I don't listen to radio stations at all, neither in the car nor at home. I probably wouldn't mind the selections on various radio programs but the radio sound qualities just aren't terribly good here and I can't stand that.

Oh, a few nice old "new wave" songs I re-discovered last night :

Don't Go - Yazoo
Situation - Yazoo
IOU - Freeez
Pop Goes My Love - Freeez

Nom De Guerre said:
Don't Go - Yazoo
Situation - Yazoo
IOU - Freeez
Pop Goes My Love - Freeez
Ooo Don't forget
In The Name of Love - Thomson Twins
Look Of Love - ABC
Feels Like Heaven - Fiction Factory
Temptation - Heaven 17

God, I still love the 80's music. Brings back the memories. I used to sit in front of my Hi-Fi, finger on the rec button, waiting for that new top hit I'd yet to hear coming from the radio.
If the song was on UK or US top 40 then, it was bound to be good. My music taste was so varied :D

rabidrabbit said:
God, I still love the 80's music. Brings back the memories. I used to sit in front of my Hi-Fi, finger on the rec button, waiting for that new top hit I'd yet to hear coming from the radio.
If the song was on UK or US top 40 then, it was bound to be good. My music taste was so varied :D
Ugh 80's pop still gives me nightmares! :D Thank goodness there were some good metal and punk bands around back then!

Back