What music are you listening to right now?

Skrying said:
Did I ever mention Mike Patton was a musical genius also?

Definitely! I love Fantomas, saw them live twice already. First time with Lombardo, last year with Terry Bozio on drums. Two very different gigs, but both very nice.

Isn't it time for FNM to reunite? :p

_xxx_ said:
Definitely! I love Fantomas, saw them live twice already. First time with Lombardo, last year with Terry Bozio on drums. Two very different gigs, but both very nice.

Isn't it time for FNM to reunite? :p

Lol! FNM, a band that always seemed to truly hate each other but made some incredible music together.

I've never seen Mike Patton live, I would love to though. He's truly one of my favorite artist, there's just something so special about his works, hard to describe, even when he's in the realm of being pop (like Peeping Tom) there's just something that puts him far above the rest.

Just WTFR, the lil internet radio station some of our staff and members run. Last two songs LadyVic played:
Yesterday - The Beatles
1979 - Smashing Pumpkins.

Eek Machina. Nothing beats Siamese dream, thats rock perfection.

xxx, I agree with your comments, I have started to tolerate a few of the other tracks, but only just. Dont like either wings marie songs, too soft, nothing happening for me.
Cant stand his female voice at the beginning of one of the songs, and did you notice the electronic drums and effects used in a couple of them? I nearly spat out my food on hearing that.
I agree the own live. They toured my country first, and came back a 2nd time on Lateralus tour since NZ has most tool albums per capita by far :)

Siamese Dream is indeed a great album and era for SP. Really, 91-96 was where it was at for them in terms of alternative rock. 98 came along with Adore and was a drastic departure, though an album I love for its own merits. Machina isn't their best and may even be the worst because of about four or five specific songs. Machina II was much better, but under produced.

If anything it would have to be SD, MCIS as my top two albums from them and also eras...though the Arising! tour was good as well. We'll see what Corgan manages to come up with for the new stuff, at least Jimmy is on board.

Skrying said:
I think SYL is really one of the worst (but still great compared to other bands) of Devin's projects. I guess I enjoy his softer stuff more, such as Ocean Machine. Though I still think his heavy stuff is often times miles ahead of so many other bands.
I love SYL's "City" but I never really got into their newer albums. Devin is a genius and I bought most of the stuff he has released but lately I feel that his style is getting a bit old. I really like the song "Loser" that he contributed to Ayreon's "The Human Equation".

L233 said:
I love SYL's "City" but I never really got into their newer albums. Devin is a genius and I bought most of the stuff he has released but lately I feel that his style is getting a bit old. I really like the song "Loser" that he contributed to Ayreon's "The Human Equation".

I think the SYL style wears thin rather quick, but that's the nature of it. Pure aggresion for no reason, you have to be in the mood for it. This is why I really enjoy his projects like Ocean Machine which have much greater depth.

I've been listening to Katatonia's "This Great Cold Distance" and its a real departure from any of their past styles. Now, under I consider Katatonia to have had three previous styles and now with this album, four. A real evolving band, I'm not so sure I like the new style, but I said the same thing about each of the past. This is much more technical (but in the scheme of things still tame) with a Katatonia styling to it. The vocals went away from being the driving force to a much greater guitar work. You've got Renkse with his clean and dreadful vocals but Nyström's guitar really comes out with something truly new. The drummer is also showing some great skill.

Overall an interesting release, hard to say if its my favorite work of theirs or not yet, very good though and very interesting.

Katatonia - Follower

At the risk of showing my age, I've broken some vinyl out and been enjoying my triple album Wings over America. Nothing beats the 70s. :p

Back