What is "trolling"? Are there examples?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FutureCTO

Banned
Unless that involves a boat, I have no idea what it is? I've just been too pre-occupied to get around to asking for a definition. Any explanation with examples would help better understand the issue.

Thank you for your time.

From Wikipedia,
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial and usually irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, with the intention of baiting other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

troll844.jpg

Most times I've seen people accuse others of being trolls it's usually because of a disagreement of opinions. Like how in politics fascism is a favorite to call anyone you disagree with. Not every controversial opinion is trolling, some people just sincerely believe what they say. In a perfect world trolls would just be ignored letting them talk into the wind without anyone responding. But alas when egos are involved everyone has to be heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love trolling when I'm the only one that can troll :devilish:

Unless that involves a boat, I have no idea what it is? I've just been too pre-occupied to get around to asking for a definition. Any explanation with examples would help better understand the issue.

Thank you for your time.

Well, there are two strains to the eytmology. And one of them is indeed based on the kind of trolling one does from a boat. Which is to say, with malice aforethought, "bait" a hook with the concious intention to cause others to bite at it with a reflexive rather than thoughtful reaction.

The other strain of the etymology is those wide and furry critters who hide under bridges and jump out to grab unwary travelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back