What if nintendo releases another console in 2011

Do you have a source for this? We know MS's platform sells more software than the others combined, but that doesn't translate to making more money than the others combined. If first-party titles are the most profitable, then Nintendo is in a favorable position.

I said revenue not profit..

You also said "Look at how poorly 3rd party games are selling even gems like Zack and Wiki and NiGHTS."

To which I answered that those niche games were probably not going to sell anywhere, so blaming their tanking on the Nintendo platform was inaccurate.
Your fixating on those two games I only listed in an offhand way. I'll concede Zack and Wiki probably wouldn't have sold well on other platforms but NiGHTS is a different matter. It's a franchise with a cult following and the game had pretty visuals with nice prerendered cutscenes and a big marketing campaign. It surely would've done better on other platforms than the tens of thousands it's sold so far.
In addition, I listed several extremely successful 3rd party games.
There are exceptions to every rule. Quit being so literal just for the sake of argument.
Suda clarified his comments later :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230502&highlight=suda

Besides, NMH (a niche title anyway) is on its way to become Suda 51's most successful release so far. Killer 7 didn't exactly light up the charts, in spite of being on the allmighty, 3rd-party heaven PS2...
I know about Suda 51's 'clarification' even though what he said before was pretty straightforward(gee, I wonder what brought his 'clarification' about? A visit from the suits perhaps?).

And I wouldn't call No More Heroes a niche title. It's a pretty looking game that's got sex and violence in a loud 'MTV style'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would Nintendo see this as a problem that needs solving? In an ideal world (for Nintendo), every game would be a 1st party game.

Hardly. 3rd party titles are free money. No investment, but you make money off of every title sold. And more software is never a bad thing. I'm sure not every wii owner is a Mario fan.

Hardly. 3rd party titles are free money. No investment, but you make money off of every title sold. And more software is never a bad thing. I'm sure not every wii owner is a Mario fan.

Free money eh?.. MS and Sony are losing massive amounts of money on hardware (and third party subsidies for selected titles no doubt) battling it out to win this 'free money' :)

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/847/847472p1.html

"Wii Tie Ratio at 8:1 in December
Players bought eight games for every Wii sold in December. That number is better than Xbox 360 and PS3."

:)
In case anyone gets misled by this that's only for December. Overall the x360 still has a much higher attach rate. As noted in that article Wii at 4.64 and x360 at 7.0 attach rates. That difference between the Wii and x360 attach rate is a difference in the tens of millions.

Free money eh?.. MS and Sony are losing massive amounts of money on hardware (and third party subsidies for selected titles no doubt) battling it out to win this 'free money' :)

You might want to amend that to were. Its not very ikely MS is losing money on hardware atm.

If Wii sells over 100m then they can come out with another console that makes only a sliver of profit yet be a machine that competes with PS3,Xbox360,and modern high end PC performance-wise.

The people who don't care for high end games buy the Wii. The people that do buy the N6 but at a hefty premium price.

If Wii sells over 100m then they can come out with another console that makes only a sliver of profit yet be a machine that competes with PS3,Xbox360,and modern high end PC performance-wise.

Sure. 5 years after the launch of XB360. By that time there might even be a new console from the other vendors, so matching the 360's performance 5 years after the fact is anything but impressive. I doubt they'd

They've never done anything major to attract the hardcore even when many thought their survival depended on it.

What, did you just decide that the NES, SNES, and N64 never happened or something? The Wii is a huge departure for them. It's also a ridiculously successful departure, giving them no incentive at all to try to break into the risky high-end market, where one failed game can mean tens of millions lost.

Third parties will eventually figure out how to make games that Wii gamers will buy. Some of them already have, actually.

What, did you just decide that the NES, SNES, and N64 never happened or something?
What? Nintendo has always been about the fun for everyone casual games. Although the NES and SNES being so popular meant a lot of awesome 3rd party support.
Third parties will eventually figure out how to make games that Wii gamers will buy. Some of them already have, actually.
I think this is about how Nintendo targets people not just about what 3rd parties do. No More Heroes is selling out everywhere. I hope we see many more games like that. And hopefully Nintendo gets in on it too like they did in trying to attract the hardcore on the Gamecube with Eternal Darkness and the deal they made with Capcom for those Resident Evil games.

What? Nintendo has always been about the fun for everyone casual games.

Um, no. Each Super Mario Bros platformer presented one of the deepest, most extensive gaming challenges seen up until that time. Nintendo games were generally groundbreaking and challenging. It's only in recent years that "serious video game" and "has blood and possibly swearing" have been seen as equivalent terms. Furthermore, their hardware was always at or near the top of the game when it was released. The NES, SNES, and N64 all had extremely competitive home console technology.

Comparing Wii Play to Super Mario Bros 3 or the overclocked Gamecube in 2006 to the N64 ten years earlier is frankly ridiculous.

By the way, Nintendo did not make or publish Conker. That was 100% Rare.

Um, no. Each Super Mario Bros platformer presented one of the deepest, most extensive gaming challenges seen up until that time. Nintendo games were generally groundbreaking and challenging.
That's great game design. Like Sonic Team games. Fun to play casually but hard to master. They're not strictly for the casual because they did have their challenges for the hardcore but the games' priority was primarily to be a fun experience for casuals.
It's only in recent years that "serious video game" and "has blood and possibly swearing" have been seen as equivalent terms.
Some people do take that too far. I would object more to many people these days only counting high end visuals as hardcore, one of the most hardcore games I've seen come out in the past few years actually came out on the DS(Etrian Odyssey which didn't have impressive visuals even by DS standards). A game being cutesy is meant to appeal to everyone. Having safe for everyone content is the definition of casual.
Furthermore, their hardware was always at or near the top of the game when it was released. The NES, SNES, and N64 all had extremely competitive home console technology.
Ah yes, on B3D nothing can be hardcore if the hardware isn't impressive. The NES and SNES selling hugely ensured lots of 3rd party support but the same can't be said about the N64 which played second fiddle to the Playstation. That's where Nintendo's casual gaming orientation shined brightly as there weren't many 3rd party games to round out the variety of gaming genres on the console.
Comparing Wii Play to Super Mario Bros 3 or the overclocked Gamecube in 2006 to the N64 ten years earlier is frankly ridiculous.
No, compare Mario Galaxy to SMB3. Nintendo has had a problem with being too casual and not enough 3rd party support since the N64 days. Even Joystiq mentioned that today.
By the way, Nintendo did not make or publish Conker. That was 100% Rare.

No, Nintendo was involved in that at least for a while I remember reading about it. Nintendo had a very close relationship with Rare in those days. I don't know why Rare ended up publishing it. On Wiki all I can find about it is 'Conker's Bad Fur Day is a Nintendo 64 video game developed and published by Rare, and distributed by Nintendo.' I'm not sure what that means since Nintendo didn't publish. Also look at the news reports for the game here, it's always Nintendo presenting the game to the media and holding events for the game, like a publisher would. They appear to have distanced themselves from the project for release though, my guess is they had second thoughts and saw it as a train wreck.

Back