What do you think of this site?

Reverend

Banned
Does it even look half-decent? Or does it look dated in this time and age? <note : link/host changed since some rightfully complained about security issues>

Suggestions about layout/design/whatever appreciated. Not that it'd progress much in the future :)

Dude, I don't know what you're thinking here, but I'm NOT installing any damn activex controls just to look at a website. ;)

Maybe it is your webhost that forces that thing to pop up, but if so you have a sucky webhost and need to find someplace else to put your site.

After that, THEN I'll look at it...

???

I guess I have them all installed, but it doesn't look like you have any active content there or is there?

Anyhow, it looks OK, even though a little dated.

Nice

Really nice!

But I would drop the cross. It is so late 80's

And the green links (dark red?)

So nice it looks like at least a one week project

I think it looks OK and is nicely functional. However, the underlying HTML is pants! What is with all the uncessary nested tables?
Here's one example of totally awful HTML:
Code:
CENTER>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=760 bgColor=#333333 border=0>
  <TBODY>
  <TR vAlign=center align=middle>
    <TD vAlign=center align=middle>
      <CENTER>
      <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=#666666 
        border=0><TBODY>
            <CENTER>
            <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=#999999 
            border=0>
              <TBODY>
                  <CENTER>
                  <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" 
                  bgColor=#000000 border=0>
                    <TBODY>
                        <CENTER>
                        <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" 
border=0>

Reverend said:
Does it even look half-decent? Or does it look dated in this time and age?

Suggestions about layout/design/whatever appreciated. Not that it'd progress much in the future :)

I think it's nice. Doesn't it look like it did in the beginning at VE? With cross and all? I think it was about the same. Reminds me of some good times... :D

Diplo said:
I think it looks OK and is nicely functional. However, the underlying HTML is pants! What is with all the uncessary nested tables?
Here's one example of totally awful HTML:
Agreed on both points. I'll take function over form on the web any time. Looks aren't that important, and what you have seems fine to me. The less than stellar coding clutters up a few things however, like the ability to change font-size in IE. Also I might add that lot's of people find reading white on black for too long causes discomfort. Depending on where you eventually want to go with it i'd consider looking into a CMS of some sort no matter what. There are several open source (or free for personal use) alternatives out there. From the very simple ones to the 'top of the line'. Of the latter, for example Movable Type (for a comprehensive blog-type website) or eZ Publish (for a full featured complete setup). It'll save lots of time, work, and hassle in the long run.

Guden Oden said:
Dude, I don't know what you're thinking here, but I'm NOT installing any damn activex controls just to look at a website. ;)

Maybe it is your webhost that forces that thing to pop up, but if so you have a sucky webhost and need to find someplace else to put your site.

After that, THEN I'll look at it...

I'm getting that too and IE isn't even showing the information bar.

I guess I'm not destined to see the site. :)

Edit: After clicking close and then again when it showed up again, the site loaded. The background is all black, though. :)

YEah, I got some ActiveX from "632100 Canada" (or some number like that).

CDT IE control was the name.

And no, I'm not going to install it to see your site.

Don't worry about the HTML codes -- I intend to clean it up. You see a lot of tables there, for example, as I used them to create the slightly rounded look of the grey rectangles surrounding the site logo as well as the news body.

The active-x control is auto-generated by the free host. The source is right at the top of the page source. This free site won't be permanent home for 3DPulpit -- like I said I used this for testing. If you're uncomfortable with the active-x control don't visit the site. If things work out, I'll have my own domain and then things should be fine.

Overall, I intend to mess around a bit more but I just wanted to see feedback of the overall look/design. Will do some fine-tuning before I post a new tidbit I just received from JC about his current engine, here as well as on my blog.

I'm "uncomfortable" with anything that I don't know what it does, where it comes from or who controls it. The site doesn't explain any of those things, it just says I must install it or else no go. Is it adware? (Probably.) If so, will it track me across multiple sites? Does it call home? Does it insert links into otherwise plain text? Does it show popups that I can't block? Does it snoop search queries or other text entered into a browser (or worse - other programs)? Etc.

I'll treat it as scumware until I know the status of all of these things.

Reverend said:
You see a lot of tables there, for example, as I used them to create the slightly rounded look of the grey rectangles surrounding the site logo as well as the news body.
Do yourself a favor and go XHTML sooner rather than later. Keeping style and structure separated makes everything much easier to handle. This is a good read. Speaking of reading: After reading your 'Shtuff' post (rather than just looking at it) may I suggest you take look at Drupal. It's reasonably easy to work with and might be a good fit for a 'pulpit'.

Yeah, well curiousity killed my Google toolbar. It uninstalled it and put in some Websearch toolbar instead. Which is now gone.

Back