What do you think of this quote?

A religion such as Judaism or Catholicism might survive even if it comes to reject a literal account of God creating man and animals. But it cannot survive the rejection of the immaterial soul. Pope John Paul II was clear about this. A few years ago, he famously conceded that our bodies may have evolved, and that the Darwinian theory of evolution might well be true. But he drew the line at souls, stating that theories "which consider the mind as emerging from the forces of living matter, or as a mere epiphenomenon of this matter, are incompatible with the truth about man."

Do you agree or disagree?

Yeah but it's here, and it's a very interesting topic (nothing we haven't discussed already though) so why not comment on it... After my coffee... ;)

Well dude, I've got about 500 different theories about evolution and no evolution that fit quite well with religion.

Here's my comment:

I disagree. Unsurprisingly really, since i pretty much disagree with everything coming out the Pope's mouth (or any priest for that matter). I disagree with his existance. Let alone what he says.

He speaks about the "truth about man", and goes on about how a theory is "incompatible with the truth about man". What exactly IS the truth about man? If he thinks he knows what the truth about the universe is, then i'd love to know something about it. I'd laugh at his face, knowing what he would say, but hey, i'd love to know.

london-boy said:
He speaks about the "truth about man", and goes on about how a theory is "incompatible with the truth about man". What exactly IS the truth about man? If he thinks he knows what the truth about the universe is, then i'd love to know something about it..

"You can't handle the truth!"

Hanners said:
london-boy said:
He speaks about the "truth about man", and goes on about how a theory is "incompatible with the truth about man". What exactly IS the truth about man? If he thinks he knows what the truth about the universe is, then i'd love to know something about it..

"You can't handle the truth!"

:D I surely can't, and neither can he. So i don't know why he (and all these religious men and women) think they know what the truth is, just by reading a book written by a bunch of men (no women there...mmmmmmmmmm.... :? ...) thousands of years ago....

Without some sort of non-material mystical thing-me that science isn't allowed to explain, religion is redundant, and more importantly the official conduit to God (ie. the church) and their CEO (ie. the pope) are redundant.

So it's kind of in his interest to make up some guff about some unknown truth(s) that people only get access to by going along with all his little rules and doctrines (and forking over all their money).

Would you buy a used car from the Pope? I know I wouldn't.

nutball said:
Without some sort of non-material mystical thing-me that science isn't allowed to explain, religion is redundant, and more importantly the official conduit to God (ie. the church) and their CEO (ie. the pope) are redundant.

So it's kind of in his interest to make up some guff about some unknown truth(s) that people only get access to by going along with all his little rules and doctrines (and forking over all their money).

Would you buy a used car from the Pope? I know I wouldn't.

I wouldn't buy anything from a dead man. You know i had this theory, where the people around the pope are only keeping him alive until they find a WHITE pope to replace him. Cause they know that if he dies (for real, cause he already is in my opinion) today, that black bishop (or whatever he is)(what's his name?) will replace him. And trust me, the last thing the Vatican wants is having a black pope.

You mean resurrecting like 'Gandalf the White' in LOTR... instead of Darth Vader, the Dark (Black) Lord that is kept alive artificially :?

rabidrabbit said:
You mean resurrecting like 'Gandalf the White' in LOTR... instead of Darth Vader, the Dark (Black) Lord that is kept alive artificially :?

He's got pipes coming out of his back. Kinda like the Matrix. They charge him up for the hour he appears in public once a month or so, then when he's finished plug him back for the next month.

Back