what do you think of this "gimme a raise" letter?

Sage

13 short of a dozen
Regular
(Boss1) and (Boss2),

I know that both of you wish to make my transition to part-time as soon as possible; I feel the same. However, there is the matter of compensation and, I do not feel that it has been solidly decided. Being that I am offered exactly half of my current work hours, recieving fair compensation is a very important issue to me. As you know, I am currently working at the rate of $10.50 per hour. I have been offered $1 per hour more upon transitioning to part-time. Although I appreciate the offer I do feel that it is insufficient. As you are aware, full-time employee's recieve the benefit of medical insurance coverage. The clinic pays 75 per-cent of the costs and offers two plans- a $2500 deductible and $500 deductible. With a deductible of $2500 that ammounts to $143.46 per month or, $1721.52 per year. Alternatively, one may choose a $500 deductible. This is certainly a more economic choice and I belive most who can afford the 25 per-cent that employee's must pay would take that option. The cost to the clinic of an employee recieving the $500 deductible $409.44 per month or, $4913.28 per year. If we take into consideration a 40-hour work-week that ammounts to 2080 hours per year, which is $0.83 per hour for an emplotee on the $2500 deductible plan or, $2.36 per hour for an employee opting for the $500 deductible plan. An employee working only 20 hours per week accumulates 1040 hours per year. This makes the cost of insurance to the clinic $1.66 per hour or, $4.72 per hour. However, an employee working only part-time is not entitled to medical benefits. Thus, an employee working part-time must recieve not less than $1.66 per hour and not more than $4.72 per hour in order to be working at the same effective rate as if they were full-time. If I were to move to part-time at $11.50 per hour I would actually be making less per hour than I am currently. Also, clinic policy is for performance reviews of new employee's after their first 90 days. My first 90 days will end on the 23rd of this month. Although it is not guaranteed that a performance evaluation results in a raise, in this case I would certainly expect one. The current rate being offered by employers hiring in the D/FW area for possitions which requirements I meet or excede is $15 to $17 per hour. Additionally, when I started work here my qualifications were two years of technical school and very little experience; I did not even have my high school diploma. It did not seem unreasonable to start at $10.50 an hour, given that my credentials were not particularly strong. However, in the past three months I have recieved both my high school diploma and CompTIA A+ 2003 certification. I also expect to recieve CompTIA Network+ certification within a few weeks. Although, as I have mentioned, there are currently employers with open possitions for which I am qualified that are offering $15 to $17 per hour I would certainly prefer to stay at (The Place I Work) long-term if we can arrive at an acceptable agreement on compensation. Please do not misunderstand, I am not eager to jump ship for more money. I do, however, feel that I am being grossly underpaid in comparrison with my peers. I would like to reach a final and clear agreement on compensation before transitioning to part-time.

Thank you,
(Sage)

Too many numbers, not enough paragraphs ;) Also you didn't make clear enough why they should pay you more, why you are so valueable for the company. The bosses need to feel good about paying you more as well.

thop said:
Too many numbers, not enough paragraphs ;) Also you didn't make clear enough why they should pay you more, why you are so valueable for the company. The bosses need to feel good about paying you more as well.

all these guys understand and care about is numbers. I thought I did make it clear why they whould pay me more- because if they don't then they risk loosing me. they know they can't loose me because I'm the only one guy they have. and they know they are underpaying me.

Sage,

Like previous replies; more paragraphs. That's a very dense block of text, makes it hard to read. Also, run it through a spel chequer before you print it out, unless you intend to deliver your message orally, in which case I don't think it really matters. :)

Guden Oden said:
Sage,

Like previous replies; more paragraphs. That's a very dense block of text, makes it hard to read. Also, run it through a spel chequer before you print it out, unless you intend to deliver your message orally, in which case I don't think it really matters. :)

it was an email and I already sent it... heh intended to run it through a spell-checker but oh well. i think its the point that matters most.

Not to dredge up an old topic, but you weren't planning on buying that SLK350 on that income, were you? Or even the $17/hr number.

SLK350, sounds kind of Mercedes-ish to me.

The A-class rules IMO. Great looks, great engines (TD 300nm torque on a tiny car like that, omg!), very practical, very smart, and on top of all else, environmentally conscious too (as far as cars go anyway). I just wish it was built out of aluminium too, that'd been even better. Steel is so crude, and it has this annoying tendency to start to rust after a couple years...

RussSchultz said:
Not to dredge up an old topic, but you weren't planning on buying that SLK350 on that income, were you? Or even the $17/hr number.

well i was planning on getting a second job, and I also have other income from other sources

also, I have virtually zero expenses aside from housing, electric, water, and occasionally food.

Guden Oden said:
SLK350, sounds kind of Mercedes-ish to me.

The A-class rules IMO. Great looks, great engines (TD 300nm torque on a tiny car like that, omg!), very practical, very smart, and on top of all else, environmentally conscious too (as far as cars go anyway). I just wish it was built out of aluminium too, that'd been even better. Steel is so crude, and it has this annoying tendency to start to rust after a couple years...

We tried Al, but the structural stability wasn't good enough, as well as crash behaviour. So it was good old (Swedish? :) ) steel again. Some minor cosmetic parts are Al though, I believe.

Back