What do you think has a "mainstreamified presence"?

nintenho

Veteran
This is a kind of odd thread. What I want to know is what artistic people or things do you think are seen by the general public as good. Since the question referred to "mainstreamified presence", I'll say a movie, band/singer, videogame, and book that is good and one that is bad. However, I'm not talking about what is necessarily popluar to the general public.

Good:

Movie: Hiest
Band/singer: Green Day
Videogame: Metroid Prime
Book: Fight Club

Bad:

Movie: Crash
Band/singer: Fifty Cent
Videogame: Final Fantasy
Book: Harry Potter

This isn't meant to be a pissing contest, it's just that I believe that the most powerful people are those that have everything before them.....yeah, huh?

Am I the only one who doesn't quite get this.
I mean why is for example "Final Fantasy" on the "bad" list while it's been a critical and commercial success.
And isn't mainstream the same as popular, "Green Day" became mainstream when it became popular to the mainstream, same for Final Fantasy, I don't think the first FF's were yet mainstream while they might have already been good.
And Harry Potter, wasn't it designed to be mainstream... as most commercial things really at least hope to be someday.
Is there really such a thing as "designed for "underground" audience" in commercial products?

rabidrabbit said:
Am I the only one who doesn't quite get this.
I mean why is for example "Final Fantasy" on the "bad" list while it's been a critical and commercial success.
And isn't mainstream the same as popular, "Green Day" became mainstream when it became popular to the mainstream, same for Final Fantasy, I don't think the first FF's were yet mainstream while they might have already been good.
And Harry Potter, wasn't it designed to be mainstream... as most commercial things really at least hope to be someday.
Is there really such a thing as "designed for "underground" audience" in commercial products?
Any criteria is an ad-hominem attack..meh.

Seriously though, those things that try to be maistream are what I put on the bad list since it means that the person or thing is reliant on a lack of needs in order to succeed. It's not supposed to be something you defend. It's like asking somebody to explain why they like red-headed girls, but that they couldn't use pictures. It all boils down to liking something only because it isn't defined by it's adjectives.

What are you trying to do, measure how much of a product's success is based on hype/reputation as opposed to content?

i.e. "Why have Halo 1 and 2 sold 8-10 million units when *insert game or franchise here* is better and has only sold 1 million?"

Blade said:
What are you trying to do, measure how much of a product's success is based on hype/reputation as opposed to content?

i.e. "Why have Halo 1 and 2 sold 8-10 million units when *insert game or franchise here* is better and has only sold 1 million?"
"Gold doesn't drive the world around, love of gold does."

Back