What advances are being made in terms of LOD technology for next gen?

We're hearing a lot of exciting news about the next gen consoles and their hardware. Sub-surface scattering, high-res normal mapping, motion blur etc.

But one field that I've heard very little about is LOD. What kind of new concepts are being put into action there?

When looking at the Cell slides just posted, we see a lot of stuff about NURBS and subdivision, and I'm just wondering to what effect this will be put to use?

Will we be able to see an engine that can determine distance/detail for a character model adapt the mesh on the fly? Or are we going to be "stuck" with three or four pre-defined models that pop in and out? Will this be able to be applied efficiently to larger static models like houses etc?

I apologise in advance for my numerous factual errors :p

Shrike_Priest said:
We're hearing a lot of exciting news about the next gen consoles and their hardware. Sub-surface scattering, high-res normal mapping, motion blur etc.

But one field that I've heard very little about is LOD. What kind of new concepts are being put into action there?

When looking at the Cell slides just posted, we see a lot of stuff about NURBS and subdivision, and I'm just wondering to what effect this will be put to use?

Will we be able to see an engine that can determine distance/detail for a character model adapt the mesh on the fly? Or are we going to be "stuck" with three or four pre-defined models that pop in and out? Will this be able to be applied efficiently to larger static models like houses etc?

I apologise in advance for my numerous factual errors :p

well good lod engines are here now. psp has a couple of hardwired nurbs programs and stuff. current consoles had software lods which sucked but it helped. if you wanna find out more on them, direct your search to psp because most likely that what be in next gen systems.

Shrike_Priest said:
Yeah, they kept toting the PSP's NURBS capabilities before launch, but I've never really seen a good example of what it can do.
becuase it not very easy and its cpu intensive. which means battery life will be shorten if used.

Back