Web layout termonology

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Web layout terminology

For those who with some web savvy, what is the proper term for a design that is:

* 3 columns
* main content in the left fartherest column; both "side bars" are on the right (versus a traditional 3 column where the sidebars are on the right and left with content centered)
* a single column above the two right sidebars that spans their width

The old Arstechnica website used this layout and I was looking to emulate something similar but wanted to look at some code samples and recommendations to make it compatible with various browsers as I guess there can be some issues with the single column spanning the two right sidebars.

I am currently working on a new design for my wife's website and have long had a layout concept in mind using this generalized layout as it fits her content well, but implimenting it correctly is another issue. Thanks for any tips or links to tutorials.

I don't know that there is any specific term. I'd look at Wordpress, though, as it's easy to set up and there are billions of free themes like you describe that you can customize to your delight. Basically every web host supports wordpress installs and it works great as a content management system. A site I helped create at albanymx.com is like that (though you have to scroll down to see where the sidebar splits). It's based on a theme for wordpress called Maze.

I'm a bit busy, so only a quick reply:

There are various ways to do this. You can use a conventional table to create the 3 columns or you can use stylesheets (CSS) with the style-tag to place 3 boxes (your columns) next to each other. If you use the latter, you should be able to use the attribute float and position to place the boxes.

Thanks for the feedback. My wife's site is on Drupal and is 3 years old today. I never did do a custom design (a long while back I did freelance design). My CSS styling is rough and I know floats and padding on these sort of designs can be tricky--especially when you start looking at cross browser compatibility. Tables are much easier for that sort of thing... but that would just be wrong! ;)

Thanks for the Maze reference as a Wordpess theme is probably been tested a bit... you would hope! ;) Adapting it over shouldn't be an issue (theming in Drupal is simple) ... the real challenge is my lack of color coordination :LOL:

Thanks guys.

Back