Water Stain in LCD screen.

Deepblue

Regular
So last night I decided to clean the LCD screen on my laptop using a lens cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth - went well and everything looked pristine. So I put away my laptop with the microfiber cloth packed away between the keyboard and the screen (where I normally keep it). However, much to my chagrin, it seems that cloth had retained far more moisture than I thought it had and opening up my laptop in the morning revealed that the portion of screen touching the microfiber cloth was "moist." Now I have what appears to be a slightly darker shadow, stain, or blotch in that same area (most visible when viewed on uniform light backgrounds). Everything I've read seems to indicate that it's moisture trapped in the optical layer above the LCD panel. I'm curious if anyone can tell if it's possible to get out, and what are the best ways to go about doing it (preferably without opening up the screen). So far I've read about using Iso alcholol to remove it as well as a bounce pad. Any ideas, experiences, helpful advice and tips would be greatly appreciated as I would love to get this fixed without resorting to anything particularly drastic.

iso alchohol could remove the anti glare coating from the screen
ps: how the bloody hell did liquid get through the glass ?

pps: hair dryer ?

Don't use anything containing alcohols, ammonia or derived from naphta/petroleum, as that will likely damage the coat on the LCD panel. When cleaning an LCD, I would only use water to slightly moist the microfiber cloth, or possibly a very small amount of dishwashing liquid if the screen was too greasy (have you been eating off of it? :p)

If you indeed have moisture lodged inbetween layers of your panel, just let it dry out on its own.

Possibly the spot you're seeing isn't actually moisture though, but rather damage to the surface coating, as glass is fairly inpenetrable to water molecules... ;)

Hope everything works out for you. Oh, and don't keep moist cloths stored in contact with sensitive bits of your computer in the future...

The screen doesn't have any type of glass on it, just some type of plastic. As far as an anti-glare coating is concerned, I doubt that one exists seeing as how it is a very glossy screen. I suppose the question is whether or not it's moisture, some kind of residue, or as you stated, damage to the optical layers.

Even if it's a glossy screen it probably still has a surface treatment of some kind, either a scratch-resistant coat or a clear anti-reflective coat like found on camera lenses or eyeglasses for example. Well, maybe not if it's a very cheap screen, I dunno. :p

In any case, be careful with using chemicals on LCD displays, often they don't react well to it. :)

Do not use alcohol-based or ammonia to clean the LCD screen. The water stain can be a bit annoying to the eyes, but you just have to let it dry naturally.

Spambot necro-threads are hilarious, because I haven't the faintest clue why they consistently pick so OLD threads to post in. You'd think they'd choose something from the front page, not something from two, three years ago. Sometimes even further back.

Back