Wait for news from Unwinder (nvworld.ru)

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by chavvdarrr, Jun 11, 2003.

1. cellarboy

Newcomer

The 8500 drivers at release were terrible under XP. They were lurching around like a drunken sailor on my system until ATI released a fix for 'systems with large amount of memory' in January '02. Performance was awesome across the board after that.

2. whql

Regular

http://www.nvnews.net/articles/david_kirk_interview.shtml+David+Kirk+optimize&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/kirkint/page3.asp

3. CorwinB

Regular

Pass it along, David...
    [​IMG]

73 elements and 50 shaders, hey ?
    /me thinks the drivers guys at Nvidia really deserve a raise...

4. tEd

tEd Casual Member
    Veteran

how many of the ~50 shaders are for real games? How many shaders does shadermark have?? :twisted:

5. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

Any updates?

6. chavvdarrr

Veteran

Well first results for R300 (no results for R200 drivers yet)
    any anti-ATi comments? :)

7. RussSchultz

RussSchultz Professional Malcontent
    Veteran

For shame for shame. ;)

I'm not suprised. All the companies seem to do it. There's been a long history of 'cheating' in benchmarks from just about any of the companies, all the way back to the VGA days.

8. jvd

jvd
    Banned

chavvdarrr ati already admit to it . They stated it will be gone from the next driver . The same thing that caused the diffrence in 3dmark 2003 is causing that. At the end of the day at least ati owned up to it .

9. Evildeus

Veteran

Hu? There's no pb with GT2-3 on 3Dmark03.

10. mczak

Veteran

Interesting that both ATI & Nvidia got a large improvement in Nature with optimizations (though Nvidia did the better job :x ) without sacrificing image quality (or did they?). I'm wondering what exactly they did - shader optimizations probably won't cut it (as those are relatively simple PS 1.1 shaders) and GT4 is usually quite bandwidth limited (due to the alpha-tests).

11. jvd

jvd
    Banned

actually one of the test drops 13% with out the optimizations .

12. Althornin

Althornin Senior Lurker
    Veteran

Damn shame.
    Personally, i iwll wait till i hear what the cheats do to IQ before i decide which is worse, but i dont like either of them.
    I also wonder which of them cheater "first"?
    IE, was it a case of "they cheated, we had to to keep up" (which i dont buy, you can always just expose them, of course, they did that this time, and look! ATI and 3dmark are getting all the bad press, so obviously, its not always the best path, eh?)?

13. StealthHawk

Regular

Does anyone know if this anti-detection patch script will ever be released to the public? I am most interested in seeing the results of 3dmark2001 with a gfFX card, and not a gf4Ti4600. And of course, I'd like to see some extensive game testing.

14. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Hey SH, I would also like to see the FX perform with Unwinder's anti-detection patch script.

15. jvd

jvd
    Banned

the ati thing doesn't do anything for iq . But there is a diffrence with it on. They found a way to speed up thier rendering . I dunno i will look for where i read it and post back asap

16. Evildeus

Veteran

There's no drop in GT2/3 in 3Dmark03 which use PS1.4 contrary to GT4 which uses PS2.0. So there's some optimisation for PS1.4 in 3DMark01 and not in 3Dmark03.

17. FUDie

Regular

PS 1.4 is not used in any of the game tests in 3D Mark 2001. The advanced pixel shader test in 3D Mark 2001 uses PS 1.4, if supported, but it has no bearing on your score.

-FUDie

18. Evildeus

Veteran

Well it's not true, it's used in the advanced pixel shader. But you are right i confused with it ;). Thx you for correcting me.

Anyway, the "optimisation" on nature doesn't seem to be the same as the one on GT4 on 3DMark03

19. just me

Newcomer

Anyone consider that ATi optimized the PS1.0 into PS2.0 (or PS1.4 for 8500/9100) for the higher FPS w/o loss of IQ? Could simply be the ATi cards use the highest PS they support & I don't see anything wrong with that in 3DM2K1. I hope they do it for my games too! :D

Mountain out of a molehill, IMHO. :wink:

20. Doomtrooper

Veteran

Yes ATI is probably doing more than re-ordering in 3Dmark 2001, they are possibly even replacing the shader with a superior PS 1.4 version since Futuremark never included PS 1.4 in scoring during the benchmarks 2 years of existence...a really big joke.

Is image quality reduced, I would say absolutley not...and I personally have no problem with optimizations that don't reduce quality, as those examples could also be used in games.