Vista Opinions

:rolleyes: :LOL:
Crysis will be very retro.
Oblivion was retro as well etc.
Windows gaming is in sharp decline and already looks pretty insignificant against what's going on on the consoles.
Oblivion may not feel exactly "retro" today, but it's old, past tech. It's over. It's a Windows game.
Windows is like an SNES emulator, or perhaps a Gamecube. You can fire it up to access a certain back-catalogue of games but the real action happens elsewhere.

Don't know what platforms Crysis will target. They may make a Vista version if Microsoft blows cash up their asses. I don't mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll get Vista only if I'm forced to (like many important apps/games requiring it). Othwerwise, no way.

That's funny, I always thought of consoles as being retro, in the sense that they only regenerate every 5 years or so, while PCs see advances each year or so. But I'm speaking strictly as a zsnes user.

I'll be one of the first in line for Vista, but I won't necessarily be proud of it.

My solution to the Vista issue is a shiny new MacPro running OS X.
I saw the new inhell macs in the mac store on market street in SF when I was there, they looked pretty darn slick. UI felt very smooth and responsive, guess they improved performance since the first OS X versions, or else the hardware simply got faster, hehe.

Aero glass is undoubtedly mostly a knee-jerk from bill gates in response to OS X.

I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A105 S4211. It comes with an Intel Core Duo 1.6 Ghz and uses Intels 945GM chipset with integrated intel GMA 950 videocard...

I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB and the HDD to 160 GB... As a notebook its rated as Vista Capable by Toshiba and Intel rates their chipset as Vista Ready ....and you know what? Vista does not recognize Intel's chipset at all... Not the video chipset, not the soundchip, not the controllers... nothing... and defaults to generic drivers for all of them and reports the hardware as having a "problem" in the MMC.

I am using Vista Beta 2 (build 5384) and I know this shouldnt be happening... Although visually nice in basic mode, because of the incompatibilities Vista will not rate the machine higher than a 1 which is the weakest Vista rating possible... which does not allow to access Aero, Aero Glass or any higher visual capabilities of the OS oh and I HATE IE7...

thanks for letting me share..

I just bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite A105 S4211. It comes with an Intel Core Duo 1.6 Ghz and uses Intels 945GM chipset with integrated intel GMA 950 videocard...

I upgraded the RAM to 1 GB and the HDD to 160 GB... As a notebook its rated as Vista Capable by Toshiba and Intel rates their chipset as Vista Ready ....and you know what? Vista does not recognize Intel's chipset at all... Not the video chipset, not the soundchip, not the controllers... nothing... and defaults to generic drivers for all of them and reports the hardware as having a "problem" in the MMC.

I am using Vista Beta 2 (build 5384) and I know this shouldnt be happening... Although visually nice in basic mode, because of the incompatibilities Vista will not rate the machine higher than a 1 which is the weakest Vista rating possible... which does not allow to access Aero, Aero Glass or any higher visual capabilities of the OS oh and I HATE IE7...

thanks for letting me share..

That's a driver issue and not a capability issue.

I had a Vista beta long ago running on my eMachines 6805 notebook. Athlon64 3000+, VIA K8T800, Radeon 9600. It got all of the drivers minus wireless and the mobility radeon. Managed to get both of those working too after a little effort, and this was like a year ago.

It looked a LOT like XP once you got into the control panels, etc. That was long ago though. Seemed to run very well actually.

I don't think you can judge a Beta like that. Intel gave no such guarantee about the unfinished release. It's not even RC.

My solution to the Vista issue is a shiny new MacPro running OS X. I will run Vista dual booted when I want to play games, and otherwise run it inside a Parallels/VMWare desktop if I need any MS specific non-game apps (doubtful)

Linux desktops suckass, Mac OS X gives me Unix and gives me a great desktop too. I'd like it if it run on any HW, but oh well.

Vista looks like a heaping pile of buggy shit right now.
It's surprising how many people I know (me included) that are taking the same route..

Windows gaming is in sharp decline and already looks pretty insignificant against what's going on on the consoles.
Oblivion may not feel exactly "retro" today, but it's old, past tech. It's over. It's a Windows game.
Windows is like an SNES emulator, or perhaps a Gamecube. You can fire it up to access a certain back-catalogue of games but the real action happens elsewhere.

Don't know what platforms Crysis will target. They may make a Vista version if Microsoft blows cash up their asses. I don't mind.
And yet the XB360 struggles to match the quality of pc games from a few years ago ;)
Windows gaming has been superior to console gaming for many years and will continue to be unless vista's final release blows chunks.
By any chance are you a console gamer??
And Crysis will be the first "dx10" game (therefore vista), this has bee known for quite some time.

i don't usually do this, but... Q.F.T.! ;) well... except for the whole, "still on AGP" thing. wtf man! XD i'm proud of you. i couldn't do it! but mostly because i needed a new pc...

thanks! you make me feel less of a Abraham Simpson elder nut. (even though I'm 21..)
(but, my mouse still has a ball!)

thanks! you make me feel less of a Abraham Simpson elder nut. (even though I'm 21..)
(but, my mouse still has a ball!)

Great Spotnik! A ball mouse, really!? and i take it you don't mean some fancy gaming mouse? amazing. I love old pc equipment, I just can't use it. XD A while ago i had a 486/66 lying around just for playing old games like Star Control 2 /melee, but I had to move. I bought my stepdad an IBM clicky "M" keyboard awhiles back, and I've been jealous of him ever since. But wireless usb! omg it's so convenient. I'm typing this from bed right now. I usually feel like the stick in the mud around here for saying things like "graphics are overrated" and "buy the nicest item at the point of diminsihing returns, not the most expensive CPU/GPU"... so it's nice to see someone that appreciates the ability to play SNES roms more than the ability to play Need fror Speed 40952... or at least, someone else who is cheap. ;)

Back on topic... the only way I'll buy Vista is if Crysis knocks my socks off. I do believe I've already firmly decided that the feature set doesn't appeal to me much, and Vista sounds like it's going to be fucking expensive! I didn't buy XP until SP1 came out, anyway. You can forget about me having an MS OS before the first SP. It's frustrating. I'm not an MS hater, really. I appreciate that they have the fastest gaming OS out there. I just don't like new video games that much. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with buying new Windows versions if they cost roughly half as muich. The OEMs pay far, far, far, less than that. why do they charge us (private individuals who upgrade/install our own Windows) so much, when we're the smallest segment of the market?

Crysis does NOT need Vista in order to work. You only need Vista if you wish to use the DirectX 10 code path.

The only game I know of that requieres Vista in order to work at all is Halo 2.

Crysis does NOT need Vista in order to work. You only need Vista if you wish to use the DirectX 10 code path.

The only game I know of that requieres Vista in order to work at all is Halo 2.

oh, right... sorry, i remember that now, but got forgetful. Great! Then I won't be buying Vista. ^^; At least not for a good couple of years.

Vista is a slow glorified XP with a bunch of small insignificant updates, more cumbersome UI, annoying as all hell "security features," bloated hardware requirements, DRM integrated spyware, tons of new activation and rights limitation and of course the touted new graphics application layer designed to make you upgrade, not to mention buggy and unstable (granted it is improving). Did I mention slow?

There is a service that starts up automatically and controls all DRM related management for the system. You can disable it like any service, only doing so makes explorer freeze for 30 seconds each and every time you try to access any file or folder, purposefully I might add. :rolleyes:

It's going to take alot to get me to use it.

Back