Video card problem?

it could just be speedfan reading the wrong information. i would tend to believe your bios, personaly, but the overheating CPU does explain the symptoms you are having. i would try getting a second opinion from another temperature reading program.

BIOS readings are the same as previously posted when these monitors were captured.

BIOS:
System Temp 31C
CPU Temp 29C

while hmonitor is running what does speedfan say? does speedfan still have 65C and fire icons or does it fall in line with hmonitor?

Heh, a techie rollercoaster.

Clearing my CMOS didn't help, but taking out the 9800P and using the IGP got me working again. Maybe I just need to reseat the 9800P better, or maybe it's kicked the bucket.

I didn't consider that Speedfan could read the wrong info given that your system is pretty old and therefore probably well-tested (it's an Intel-based MB, after all). The fact that the temp changes with use might mean the reading's right. Let's say you run a CPU-intensive benchmark that gets your CPU temp up to 75C, if you reboot right away into the BIOS, does it still read 31C or is it slightly higher? This isn't the most accurate test, b/c CPU temps tend to drop quickly. {S}W mentioned the most obvious test: placing your hand near (not on!) the HSF to see if it feels 70C hot (as in, scalding, in which case Speedfan might be right), just reasonably hot (in which case the BIOS would be right), or cool (in which case the HSF's likely still not making good contact with the CPU).

If the temp reading got up to 75C and you were able to remove the HSF immediately afterward, I wonder if it's transferring heat well. I'm not sure if a HSF at 30C/86F is too hot to handle, though, in which case the BIOS and your hands could still be right, and Speedfan, wrong.

Curious that the MB reports 30C, Speedfan 69C, and HMonitor 14C. 14C doesn't sound right at all, as I doubt it's 57F in your room. Again, 69C is consistent with CPU throttling and your problem, and Speedfan says it's reading that from ACPI, which Albatron says your MB supports.

I had Speedfan 4.24 installed, and it gave me just three temps: Temp1 for my MB, Temp for my CPU, and my HD temp. I tried Speedfan 4.31 and I saw all those extra temp readings you're seeing. I can tell you that the last reading is for my CPU temp, so it's probably the same with your PC (even though I'm AMD and you're Intel, Speedfan might show temps in the same order).

I'm guessing you normally plug the CPU HSF into the fan header near the RAM slots, and have only plugged it into the header near the AGP slot b/c it's easiest to reach while you're doing all this HSF swapping?

Finally, you could try installing the latest Intel Application Accelerator. If nothing changes, try uninstalling it (your PC should fall back to the default and possibly less problematic Windows ATA drivers). This brings us back to an I/O bottleneck or quirk, but I still think it's your CPU or HSF.

Back