VF5 on PS3 thanks to NVIDIA?

sonyps35 said:
as DVD 12X despite much lower theoretical speed.
Much as I would like to have faster drives - in big picture, those differences are mostly marginal.
GCN drive was slowest by a wider margin then that, and the machine was generally perceived as the fastest loading of the 3.

Vysez said:
In fact and as a matter of concrete example, Naomi was the Arcade version of the Dreamcast, it had twice the main system RAM and twice teh video RAM the DC had.
Yet, the DC received perfect port of Arcade games.

Dreamcast ports of NAOMI arcade games were not "perfect" the texture quality was noticably lower in the Dreamcast versions. but otherwise, Dreamcast versions rivaled the NAOMI arcade games well.

regarding Virtua Fighter 3, that game was made in 1995-1996 for MODEL 3. the Dreamcast version was downgraded significantly, although not too badly.

For the former reason I previously pointed. And given that Sega's AMs rarely, if ever, compress the textures they use on their Arcade games, the DC's lack of video RAM compared to Naomi was made a non issue by compressing the said textures (using SimonF's favorite: VTC) on the DC.

well as I said, Dreamcast textures weren't as good as NAOMI textures. you can easily see the difference in Crazy Taxi
Therefore, in conclusion, I see no technical reasons, as far as the hardware is concerned, for anything else but a perfect port of VF5 on PS3.

it won't be perfect, as in pixel for pixel. it will might be a little worse, but it could also be a little better because of the shaders that RSX has.

I *do* expect the PS3 conversion of VF5 to be one the closest home versions of a VF arcade game to date.

nothing like previous generations of massive or significant downgrades.

Vysez said:
and at the minimum they could turn AA on on the PS3 version.

God I hope so.
PS2 VF4 needed AA badly.

Megadrive1988 said:
I *do* expect the PS3 conversion of VF5 to be one the closest home versions of a VF arcade game to date.

nothing like previous generations of massive or significant downgrades.

It would be nice to finally see a near perfect port. VF4 was close, mainly the background scenery was less complicated. The aquarium stage had less fish, little things like that.
But oh those jaggies hurt my eyes ! As a longtime fan, a perfect port of VF5 would be a good reason for me to purchase the system.

The NAOMI2 arcade versions of VF4 had more graphical advantages than just background detail. The polygon counts on the characters were literally twice as high, even with a greater amount of complex light sources. Image and texture qualitites were also better.

Back