VF5 on PS3 thanks to NVIDIA?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/716/716043p1.html <<More detailed revision of the same report.

No, I'm very thankful that it has a hard disk. It's not the case that Blu-ray's transfer speed is fast compared to DVD, and with the increase in the data amount, we were worried about just how long load times would take. If we cache data to the hard disk, the loading time drops dramatically.

These two aren't picking on the PS3's competition, though. "I believe that if development is done with multiplatform in mind, there probably won't be a difference in the abilities of the PS3 and Xbox 360," said Kataoka.

I had to do it.

Anyways it's a nice sentiment, but VF5 is not exactly a graphical boundary pushing game.

Last edited by a moderator:
SEGA-AM2 president Hiroshi Kataoka & SEGA R&D 4 Section Chief Noriyuki Shimoda (producer of the PS3 version) talk:

The game is currently running in an advanced state on PS3 hardware, he revealed. Currently, the game is at a place where it can be played, but 'home specific' features are gong to be added from here on out.

on the ps3 itself:

"My feeling is that, when considering its capabilities, it's not expensive," said Kataoka. "If that hardware was released not as PlayStation, but under the Vaio brand, and you got a Blu-Ray drive, a Cell chip and the latest NVIDIA GPU for under 100,000 yen, you'd definitely call it cheap. However, there are surely many people who buy it with the image of a game machine, and that price is pretty daring.

on the hdd:

No, I'm very thankful that it has a hard disk. It's not the case that Blu-ray's transfer speed is fast compared to DVD, and with the increase in the data amount, we were worried about just how long load times would take. If we cache data to the hard disk, the loading time drops dramatically."

on ps3 exclusive:

"There is the fact that VF4 had already been released on the PS2, but another big reason is that the Lindbergh and PS3 GPUs are both from NVIDIA, so the technical barriers are low. Also, VF5 is tuned to the limits of the Lindbergh's capabilities, so multiplatform development would have been difficult."

sonyps35 said:
I had to do it.

What, selective bolding?

No, I'm very thankful that it has a hard disk. It's not the case that Blu-ray's transfer speed is fast compared to DVD, and with the increase in the data amount, we were worried about just how long load times would take. If we cache data to the hard disk, the loading time drops dramatically.

"I had to do it."

The funny thing is I thought of you Titanio..you had basically implied that due to various factors Blu-Ray would be just as fast as DVD 12X despite much lower theoretical speed. Apparantly that's not the case.

Just poking some fun.

sonyps35 said:
The funny thing is I thought of you Titanio..you had basically implied that due to various factors Blu-Ray would be just as fast as DVD 12X despite much lower theoretical speed. Apparantly that's not the case.

Just poking some fun.
I dont think VF5 is a constantly streaming game.

Black Dragon37 said:
Maybe this topice should be merged to here...
Yeah I was thinking the same. No offence to OP.

sonyps35 said:
The funny thing is I thought of you Titanio..you had basically implied that due to various factors Blu-Ray would be just as fast as DVD 12X despite much lower theoretical speed.

Where? When? The figures are well known. The only point of debate has ever been how BD reads a disc (clv v cav), which ultimately doesn't affect the maximum read speed anyway, and I've never argued that.

PS3 version SHOULD look better, given a 7900GTX vs 6800GT supposedly in the Arcade machine.

Reasons it might look the same/"slightly degraded":

Memory? Does the arcade have more?
128 bus on RSX
CPU-I'm sure the P4 I believe in lindbergh is an easy to use general purpose monster compared to Cell (not speaking of Cell's flop advantage here)

Most of all: "poor port".

VF5 already looks pretty good for a next gen fighter compared to the other we have out, DOA4. It's not leaps ahead despite what some say, but it does seem more dynamic.

sonyps35 said:
Most of all: "poor port".

If the port is identical to the original, it shouldn't be called poor, I would say the biggest reason for it not looking better is that it is a port, made for another specs originally, however the port in itself should be good.

The most you could expect would be a perfect conversion. I would not expect them to bother to go beyond what its 'native' machine is capable of! Sega would quite proudly boast of an arcade-perfect conversion - I don't think it would enter their heads for a second to go further.

:oops: @ "poor port"

Hi. I have been reading this site for months now, and i have learned quite a lot thanks to you guys.

Now, regarding the degradation of the graphical quality of VF5, first lets check the Sega Lindbergh specifications:
* CPU: Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with 1 megabyte L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Compatible, 800MHz FSB
* RAM: 184 pin DDR SDRAM PC3200(400 MHz) 512 MB × 2(Dual)
* GPU: Nvidia Unknown GPU (GeForce 6 Series) 256 Bit GDDR3 256 MB,
Compatible Vertex Shader 3.0 & Pixel Shader 3.0
* Sound: 64 channel, 5.1 ch SP-DIF
* LAN: On board, 10/100/1000 BASE-TX. JVS I/O Connector
* Serial: 2 Channel (can switch one channel between 232C and 422)
* Other: USB port x 4, Compatible HDTV (High Definition), DVD Drive Support, Sega ALL.NET online support

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Lindbergh

In my personal oppinion it will be quite difficult to achieve a perfect port of VF5 on the ps3 due to the big differences in Ram amount in the Sega Lindbergh.

Of course, this is what i suppose is the cause, since i am not a techie guy.

Excuse my english skills, since it is not my main language.

Does lindburg not have vram as well for the 6800?

edit - saw it - 256mb

So they're taking a game using a total of 1280mb ram (1gb + 256mb) and porting to a system with 512 (256 + 256) and you guys think it will be a perfect port or am I misunderstanding? If it is a perfect port I'd say they did a damn good job but overall I'd say they will probably improve in some areas and degrade in others. Overall not a perfect port but still very good looking and close to the original.

I wonder if those that might be thinking this port will be no problem, also think ps3 games will have no problem porting to 360 or if the "huge technical disparity" between ps3 and 360 will prevent such "perfect ports". :)

TheChefO said:
So they're taking a game using a total of 1280mb ram (1gb + 256mb) and porting to a system with 512 (256 + 256) and you guys think it will be a perfect port or am I misunderstanding?

I think people are just quoting what Sega has said - that is, it'll be there, or very close to it.

I would agree that it will be a good port if they get to or close to the arcade standard. I'd only consider it a poor port if it was very noticeably poorer quality.

TheChefO said:
Does lindburg not have vram as well for the 6800?

edit - saw it - 256mb

So they're taking a game using a total of 1280mb ram (1gb + 256mb) and porting to a system with 512 (256 + 256) and you guys think it will be a perfect port or am I misunderstanding? If it is a perfect port I'd say they did a damn good job but overall I'd say they will probably improve in some areas and degrade in others. Overall not a perfect port but still very good looking and close to the original.

I wonder if those that might be thinking this port will be no problem, also think ps3 games will have no problem porting to 360 or if the "huge technical disparity" between ps3 and 360 will prevent such "perfect ports". :)
So you believe that VF5 exploits 1250mb of ram plus 256mb of vram and that quality is the best the PS3 can do?

Nesh said:
So you believe that VF5 exploits 1250mb of ram plus 256mb of vram and that quality is the best the PS3 can do?

hey ease up man! I said I expect somethings to improve and others to degrade. With the amount of ram that must be made up for I expect some corners will be cut while other efficiencies in hardware will make up for and surpass the arcade version in other areas.

overall - roughly the same.

Will this game tap out the maximum potential of ps3? - of course not. But I also think they can do better on lindburg too. This is mostly a time/money thing though.

TheChefO said:
hey ease up man! I said I expect somethings to improve and others to degrade. With the amount of ram that must be made up for I expect some corners will be cut while other efficiencies in hardware will make up for and surpass the arcade version in other areas.

overall - roughly the same.

Will this game tap out the maximum potential of ps3? - of course not. But I also think they can do better on lindburg too. This is mostly a time/money thing though.

Ok I ll say it differently then. Do you believe that there is anything on the arcade version of VF5 that uses more than 512MB of ram or is so advanced it cant be done on a PS3?

Back