Value of NXGamer technical investigation videos *spawn

Eh, I would seriously question that. I don't think people upgrade their TV's that often.

Normal people, no. Most probably aren't upgrading TVs every 4-5 years or less.

Console gamers, however? Some probably don't, but IMO, many do.

And even if they don't, people generally don't upgrade TV capabilitites (like 4k) until it is either established as a tech (unbiquitous) or they now have a compelling reason to do so.

And right now
  • 4k TVs are almost ubiquitous so it's not like a few years back when someone might be upgrading from a 1080p TV to another 1080p TV.
  • The current gen consoles give a compelling reason for people to upgrade their TV if they didn't already do so (due to owning a PS4-P or XBO-X).
    • Since those populations at most represented just 20% of console owners, there's a whole lot of current gen console owners that are likely looking to get a 4k TV.
      • Unless you only have a XBS-S. :p
Basically prior to the PS4-P and XBO-X what was the compelling reason to get a 4k TV? There really wasn't one for most people unless they had a 4k BD player (rare) or a PS4-P or XBO-X (also rare) or they were using it with PC (rare as well). It's not like there was a lot of 4k broadcast channels prior to 2016 (before the introduction of VRR TV sets). :p

So, anyone that got a 4k TV for PS4-P or XBO-X likely already has a VRR capable TV if they got a decent Samsung or LG TV at any point during that time. Anyone that got a TCL, Hisense, or any other Korean made or Chinese made TV say a year or two after PS4-P and XBO-X came out likely have a VRR capable TV. Anyone that got a Sony 4k TV during that time probably don't. :p

Anyone getting a 4k TV to go with their new 4k console (PS5 or XBS-X) because they were still using a 1080p TV with their PS4 or XBO likely has a VRR capable display now ... as long as they didn't get a Sony TV.

SB
Regards,

Last edited:
No we just get," 24 million this, you're wrong. No, 8% that, you're wrong. Na-ah, because 78% of your 8% of my 120 million trumps your 300,000 last month over $230. You so dumb!! Lolz. 330,000 last month, actually, while you only 5/16ths out of 22% annually for last quarter's 14 titles with an A in the tile."

So what should people say then? There are more then enough DLSS/FSR capable GPUs out there, more so then PS5's, many more. If were not allowed to use numbers, that goes for the playstation too then, i guess.

However, there are enough gpus out there capable of either DLSS or FSR, so i dont see how its invalid to include upscaling tech on the pc platform.

I don't care that he made a 3090 run the gauntlet, max ultra with no help and compared it to a PS5 with less than ultra settings combined with TAAU from 1080p to bring it up to 4K.

Its just not a worthy comparison anymore like that..... If your going to gauge performance to dGPU's then you should (try to) run at equal settings, including resolutions who have a huge impact on performance. Not 1080p/lower settings vs native 4k Ultra on a choking GPU (did he place the PC in a warm enclosure?). I can imagine the 3090 running at its normal temps could do some high-fps gaming at 1080p, lowered settings, DLSS'd to 4k.

Anyone getting a 4k TV to go with their new 4k console because they were still using a 1080p TV with their PS4 or XBO likely has a VRR capable display now ... as long as they didn't get a Sony TV.
Oh I agree - anyone getting a 4K TV now. I just don't think most people who picked up an SX/PS5 already didn't have a 4K TV with HDR and just tossed it for VRR support, especially since the PS5 doesn't support it yet. I full expect that VRR is still in a minority of homes, even those with a SX/PS5. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of console owners even know what VRR is - the people like us who are on forums discussing this are the minority of the actual userbase.

Oh I agree - anyone getting a 4K TV now. I just don't think most people who picked up an SX/PS5 already didn't have a 4K TV with HDR and just tossed it for VRR support, especially since the PS5 doesn't support it yet. I full expect that VRR is still in a minority of homes, even those with a SX/PS5. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of console owners even know what VRR is - the people like us who are on forums discussing this are the minority of the actual userbase.

Sure, but how many PS4 and XBO owners gamed on a 4k TV instead of a 1080p TV prior to 2016? You know to watch all those 4k Cable TV channels that didn't exist. :p

If they got a TV for 4k HDR to utilise HDR on PS4 and XBO (which was introduced to consoles in 2016) and got a Samsung or LG TV in 2016 (since that's when Samsung and LG started including VRR in their sets) or later they likely have a VRR capable TV. How many that got 4k HDR set after 2016 didn't get a TCL, Hisense, Vizio, or other Chinese or Korean made TVs in the years between 2017-2018 and now? If they did, they likely have a VRR capable TV.

The only real exception is Sony made TVs.

The whole no reason to buy a 4k TV was why many hadn't upgraded to a 4k TV up until this current generation of consoles. Hell, even getting a 4k TV for HDR wasn't really much of a thing for most people until after VRR TV sets were already on the market.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I love how people have been so offended by me saying DLSS isn't in a lot of games.

It's not, that's just pure fact.

How many tens of thousands of PC games are there? How many DLSS games are there? My point exactly.

As I've said previously, give it a few years for AMD (And now Intel's) GPU hardware to evolve a long with DirectML and DLSS will end up like PhysX....dead.

YouTube channels and PC gamers are so concerned with comparing the absolute best hardware to console, why? Developers don't even care about that hardware, it's too exotic, too expensive and simply not common enough for them to care.

They care about the average gamer, the guy with the GTX1060, RTX2060, RX6600..... the 'mid-range' GPU's..... that's the most common hawdware, that's what they target and that's the hardware that I believe should be used for comparison to consoles as it covers the most common PC's and the performance they have.

I love how people have been so offended by me saying DLSS isn't in a lot of games.

You keep saying that as if DLSS is the only thing that people are bringing up. You do understand that while DLSS is currently the best bolt on solution on PC, that it is not the only form of reconstruction/upscaling on PC, right? There are developer made reconstruction/upcaling methods in use in games which can be as good or better than DLSS as well as FSR, which obviously isn't as good as DLSS. And those are usable regardless of what GPU you have in your PC.

DLSS may or may not die, but reconstruction/upscaling methods of which DLSS is a part isn't ever going away on the PC. It is just as needed there as it is on the PS5 or XBS consoles.

Regards,
SB

People responding to you aren't 'offended', you're not speaking brave truth to power here. Give it a rest.
It's not, that's just pure fact.

How many tens of thousands of PC games are there? How many DLSS games are there? My point exactly.
How many consoles are there? How many PS5's are there? My point exactly <folds arms>
As I've said previously, give it a few years for AMD (And now Intel's) GPU hardware to evolve a long with DirectML and DLSS will end up like PhysX....dead.
Like, hopefully? How is this in any way relevant? People don't want DLSS because it's proprietary, then want it because it's the best method of reconstruction available now. It's good that Intel has released an open-source variant.
YouTube channels and PC gamers are so concerned with comparing the absolute best hardware to console, why?
Guess you gotta ask NxGamer who used a 3090 in his video that then.
Developers don't even care about that hardware, it's too exotic, too expensive and simply not common enough for them to care.
Yet they're supporting DLSS - routinely. So apparently it's not that exotic.
They care about the average gamer, the guy with the GTX1060, RTX2060, RX6600..... the 'mid-range' GPU's..... that's the most common hawdware, that's what they target and that's the hardware that I believe should be used for comparison to consoles as it covers the most common PC's and the performance they have.
Then it makes even more sense to cover DLSS and FSR in your multiplatform comparison, which provides the most significant benefit to low and midrange cards.

The vast majority of people and talk is about DLSS and thank you for the patronizing comments.
People talk about DLSS here because it's by far the most commonly used method of reconstruction on the PC, used by the GPU vendor with (by far) the most marketshare, and is (generally) the best quality of any reconstruction method.

I wish both things weren't necessarily true. I wish AMD went toe to toe with Nvidia more often so we'd have more competitive prices ages ago (as usual, 'normal non-covid market' stipulation). I wish they had introduced a more effective reconstruction method of their own. I wish methods like checkerboarding/TAAU were used more often on the PC for non-RTX cards. But we are where we are.
I was not aware with my decades in gaming (Including PC) that DLSS wasn't the only reconstruction method.
This isn't saying much - there are a lot of graybeards here, this site has been around a long time. I was on here when the Rendition Verite was the new hotness, and I was beta testing the Nvidia NV1 with Virtua Fighter. Throwing around your seniority like some kind of 'gamer resume' is silly, people are critiquing your posts because of what you put in them.

Last edited:
The vast majority of people and talk is about DLSS and thank you for the patronizing comments.

I was not aware with my decades in gaming (Including PC) that DLSS wasn't the only reconstruction method.

I'm responding to you in a similar but less confrontation tone with which you are responding to others. If you do not like it then how about introducing a more neutral and less confrontational tone into your posts? You'll get much farther that way.

Also, yes, there are some people on this forum that have that same type of posting style but that's no reason use it. :)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I'm responding to you in the same tone with which you are responding to others. If you do not like it then how about introducing a more neutral and less confrontational tone into your posts? You'll get much farther that way.

Also, yes, there are some people on this forum that have that same type of posting style but that's no reason use it. :)

Regards,
SB

How about leading by example.

YouTube channels and PC gamers are so concerned with comparing the absolute best hardware to console, why?

This is not true. The 2060S is a regular comparison point in DF's videos which are the Gold standard for this type of thing. NXG has until this video been comparing to a 2070 which is also a sensible comparison point. Of course it's interesting to see how much better an experience you will get with high end hardware, but for me at least, it's equally as interesting to see how the experience compares on more mid range hardware.

People talk about DLSS here because it's by far the most commonly used method of reconstruction on the PC, used by the GPU vendor with (by far) the most marketshare, and is (generally) the best quality of any reconstruction method.

I wish both things weren't necessarily true. I wish AMD went toe to toe with Nvidia more often so we'd have more competitive prices ages ago (as usual, 'normal non-covid market' stipulation). I wish they had introduced a more effective reconstruction method of their own. I wish methods like checkerboarding/TAAU were used more often on the PC for non-RTX cards. But we are where we are.

This isn't saying much - there are a lot of graybeards here, this site has been around a long time. I was on here when the Rendition Verite was the new hotness, and I was beta testing the Nvidia NV1 with Virtua Fighter. Throwing around your seniority like some kind of 'gamer resume' is silly, people are critiquing your posts because of what you put in them.

Ah, yes, I also owned the NV1. Sigh, it was such interesting hardware with virtually no support from game developers since it was doing things that weren't conducive to how 3D hardware accelerated rendering would evolve on PC. Interesting bit of hardware though.

Regards,
SB

You missed the sarcasm ay?
lol, no. I'm responding to your sarcasm - the premise of your sarcasm was clear - it's that obviously due to your impressive 'experience' in gaming that of course you know there are more reconstruction methods than DLSS, hence being supposedly offended that you were being talked down to.

I'm saying that to tout this (especially when no one would know otherwise) is ridiculous, no one cares about your history, then only care how you express the arguments now.

However, if you were a content provider for IGN with its 16 million subscribers, constantly making that assertion might create a belief amongst less informed subscribers who might make buying decisions based on your false declarations.
The 'Call of Duty Vanguard - PS5 & PC Performance Review' post on IGN's YouTube channel, it has 24k views. So utterly insignificant. And I'd wager that most people watching it are the more informed who understand the tech and less likely to be deceived by errors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ultimately, the impact of your mistakes grows with the number of people who read, watch, listen and trust your content. The more people you can touch the higher the standard that should be applied.
I agree. 24k. That's 0.18% of PS5 owners, assuming only PS5 owners watched. I think the knowledge and integrity of IGN reading gamers is undamaged. :runaway:

The 'Call of Duty Vanguard - PS5 & PC Performance Review' post on IGN's YouTube channel, it has 24k views. So utterly insignificant. And I'd wager that most people watching it are the more informed who understand the tech and less likely to be deceived by errors ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree. 24k. That's 0.18% of PS5 owners, assuming only PS5 owners watched. I think the knowledge and integrity of IGN reading gamers is undamaged. :runaway:

I'm not sure why you're drawing parity between a video thats gained 24k views in around 3 days and a typical B3D forum posters post?

Clearly one has several hundred times more reach than the other and so should be held to a much higher standard of accuracy. How those view counts compare to the overall PS5 user base isn't really relevant. What is relevant is the number of people you're spreading false or misleading information to.

Back