UT 2007 screenshots

UT2K7 is a DX9 and DX10 game, so I doubt the DX10 version will look anything subpar :???:

I understand the whole "lower the quality when it comes to large multiplayer scenarios" thing, but if the DX10 counterpart will still look like crap, wow is all I got to say :|

i havent seen it stated anywhere that the Unreal 3 engine will support beyond DX9.0C for the immediate titles, have a link?

Guns are often oversized in multiplayer games because it enables you to see what your competitors are armed with. You might not want to run up to someone toting a missile launcher. Or a battlefield nuke.

Why not? In fact thats what I do because I know at least the splash damage could hurt him as well. Or that if he fires off that nuke he kills himself too if I'm near. I generally don't care what my competitors are armed with. Then again, I'm a novice at FPS and I dont imagine my strategies to be anything brilliant.

I still stick to my original reasoning for big guns :devilish:

Hmm, very interesting.

I kind of agree GOW is an ugly game, despite incredible technical merits. That's one of my problems with it. (but then again if you say that, you'd have to throw Resistance in to that boat as well).

It can be pretty at times though. I remember playing co-op with my brother (pretty much his first time with a next gen console, though he plays WOW), showing off the graphics by examining an towering iron statue in a courtyard. It was pretty nice. That is what the UE3.0 does so well at, statues, because they use that normal mapping to get the detail in many million polygon models down to game level. But in GOW, the colors or lack thereof can get oppressive, so one of the things that made that particular statue "pretty" was that it was in one of the more colorful outdoor enviroments that are a relief to the eyes in Gears.

BUT, I think the Halo 3 shots could be said to look pretty by that comparison. They have clean lines and you cant really say Halo features a destroyed world (well, in the outdoor areas).

Another example of this is Mass Effect. I think part of what makes that game so appealing to me is that it's "style" is so different. Odd, clean, whatever. I wouldn't call it happy, but it's clean with distinct colors. I think that bothered me the most about Gears, it's like everything is run through a decolorizing filter. There are no "brash" colors.

Yeah, Lost Planet is another one..that is going to feature "clean" visuals. And the walking animations and your whole character are just cool.

I'm down on UT series a lot too though. It's not what it used to be. Game designers need to focus more on "awesome" if you ask me. The original UT, this is a perfect example, the famous facing worlds map. Besides being graphically impressive for it's day, that map just showed a sense of wonder and creativity to it's setting that you dont see in the new, inferior UT games.

For example, if I'm lead designer on UT2k7, I'd probably make some kind of "No run down factories" type of rule. Because you know that is what 80% of the levels in UT2k7 are going to be.

Ugh, I'm really down on Epic as well. Gears was a real let down imo. It all comes down to creativity and they seem to lack it lately.

All that said, I'm still REALLY looking forward to UT2k7, probably, maybe my #1 most anticipated game, and especially how well each next gen console handles it's graphics...
________
NEXIUM INJURY LAWYER

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not? In fact thats what I do because I know at least the splash damage could hurt him as well. Or that if he fires off that nuke he kills himself too if I'm near. I generally don't care what my competitors are armed with. Then again, I'm a novice at FPS and I dont imagine my strategies to be anything brilliant.

I still stick to my original reasoning for big guns :devilish:

If you go for the enemy with the nuke unprepared and you both die, you have to respawn, go looking for weapons, get put into a weaker position, etc, and all the while others are racking up kills.

There's no point playing to the strengths of your enemies. If you know someone has (for instance) a Redeemer ready to fire, you can be ready to duck into cover, or use suitable weapons (such as the mini-gun) to shoot it down. In team games where the redeemer is being used to attain particular goals (like taking down your node in Onslaught), stopping their play can ruin the other team's strategy and put them badly out of position.

Likewise, if someone is armed with a shorter range weapon, you can stay back and hit him with longer range weapons instead of closing and letting your enemy gain advantage.

Or quite simply you can rack up the deathmatch kills by going for the weaker and less armed opponents in preference to the better armed enemies if you have the choice.

Being fast and accurate is not the only thing that makes a good online FPS player. Knowing the map, playing to team objectives, moving well, being aggressive, understanding the game mechanics, being devious, listening for sounds, and using the right weapons to give you an advantage also make you a better player.

For instance I've won matches against better players, because while two better players than me spent the whole game cat-and-mousing with each other in an epic battle of skills, I spent the game killing everyone else and making several kills for every one the top players did against each other.

If you look at 20 minute Lost Planet deathmatch video thread you can see what I mean. Dot50Cal does everything right and his opponents do not. He's sneaky, finds the mech suit, activates the radar sites (and then uses them to advantage), uses the grapple, uses the homing weapons, etc, where his opponents rarely do any of these things.

<a lot of advice>

Thanks for that, I'll try to keep some of those points in mind when I next play some FPS. When I play though, I just go for the fun factor and not to "win" (I suppose you win when you get the most kills then). But do keep in mind I'm a typical Jap so I'm more green than green I suppose you could say.

I read this interview

And it sounded like he was hinting that UT2K7 will get DX10 support one way or the other.

Its not really a question of support, infact i'd almost expect a blanket DX10 support at some point, i just dont expect it to be some huge feature for something like UT2007. A graphics engine really is only as good as the technology that was around in the first couple of years of its birth. In relation to your previous comment as well, since i didnt really mention it but i might as well now that i skimmed that interview, this is true:

Realistically, DirectX 10 doesn't introduce fundamentally new capabilities, but brings many new features that will enable developers to optimize games more thoroughly and thus deliver incrementally better visuals and better frame rates.

so dont expect some incredible visual boost. We still have alot of things that can be tapped into with regards to DX9, DX9 Crysis compared Farcry to is an excellent example of that. But DX10.1 will be further enhancing DX9C with respect to making things run smoother and faster, which will in turn allow more neat effects and pretty graphics. Even geometry shaders problably wont seriously impact gaming engines in a serious way for a number of years after their introduction simply due to the time it takes to get native support for new features. Basically if you're expecting a whole new generation of visuals with DX10.1, and especially in the first couple of years of its introduction, you're setting yourself up to be dissapointed.

The closest we'll get to next generation visuals, beyond that of anything we've currently seen or know about, will problably be leaked to us in very small doses in the likes of tech demos.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up :smile:

After seeing the Crysis flyover video, I didnt expect much anymore from DX10(in the mean time), and your comments have further clarified it ;)

Back