US salaries question

You should become self-employed and then you can theoretically decide for yourself how much holiday to take...

...unfortunately, from my experience, I know that being self-employed means you actually end up taking hardly any holidays!

Not helpful in the least! Last time I did upscale in London is was a place calle Mirabelle (fantastic) and it was well over 100 quid and we didn't drink that much.

Or what does it cost you to take two to an upscale dinner with drinks/wine?
You'd have to define HOW "upscale"; in a city like London such a dinner would basically have no upper limit to the price you could end up paying. Want to dine on a starter of Russian black caviar topped with leaf-gold shavings, main course of wagyu steak, and dessert of sorbet flavored with diamond dust, all washed down with bottles of a century-old champagne, no problem. My imagination is probably not nearly decadent enough, what I just described is probably a BUDGET dinner for the ridiculously wealthy... ;)

Well $6 is the US gets a lot of food too, that's not the point. What do you pay for a pint of beer in London?
I haven't got a clue.
Or what does it cost you to take two to an upscale dinner with drinks/wine?
Bicubic or just bilinear? The last time out, 3 course dinner for two + bottle of wine was £30 - but that's more of an exception than a rule.

Why anyone would want to move to a country having currently 20% unemployed (and rising) and being on the cusp of total financial collapse, is a mystery to me. I'd say stay where you are for another couple of months till you see how it all plays out.

Why anyone would want to move to a country having currently 20% unemployed (and rising) and being on the cusp of total financial collapse, is a mystery to me. I'd say stay where you are for another couple of months till you see how it all plays out.

Well this is not something i'm actively planning so if it happens, we're talking in one or more years, not months!! :D

Hello guys!

I am looking at options to move to the US to work. Not sure how long, but the most likely scenario will be New York (where i would assume i'd get a higher salary but also much higher costs).
B3D is pretty much the only place i know with a relatively vast US audience, one that is unlikely to lie to my face or give me wrong advice, so please help!!

The idea is to have the same (or better) lifestyle as i do now.

Now, with the mess in exchange rates, financial meltdowns, war, famine, global warming, you name it, i have absolutely no idea what kind of salary i should be looking for. I don't think that a straight conversion of my earnings would translate very well, so how do we go about this?

I live on my own in central london. I go out every weekend, pretty much. I eat out way too much for my own good. I have around 4 holidays per year (two big ones and two or more long weekends here and there). I save absolutely nothing, in fact i'm lucky if i don't fall into debt at the end of the month...

Thanks guys!! :D

If you want to go to NY to work and don't need the city living you can move into Northern New Jersey. Its about a 15-30 min bus drive or train ride from this area into the city. You'd end up saving alot of money and having a much bigger place to stay in vs the city. East Rutherford is a good place as it has a train station right in the center that will take you into the city. I was living there. Was renting a house with a few friends for 1.8k a month which is about what you'd spend for a studio in the city.

I'm going to put my money on L-B being the type of guy who likes to walk to bars and walk home.

:LOL: Funny thing is, it's true!

You can do that in East Rutherford , you can also look into hoboken. Its expensive but right across the river and its still cheaper. Its also a college town and very popular for jersey people to head into.

Prob looking at 1k a month for a studio. 2k for a 1bed room. About $800 less than the city.

I've had many a drunk night in hoboken much better looking girls than in the city (though i doubt you'd care about that !)

You can do that in East Rutherford , you can also look into hoboken. Its expensive but right across the river and its still cheaper. Its also a college town and very popular for jersey people to head into.

Prob looking at 1k a month for a studio. 2k for a 1bed room. About $800 less than the city.

I've had many a drunk night in hoboken much better looking girls than in the city (though i doubt you'd care about that !)

Well i'm one of those crazy people who actually believes that living in a nice place increases the quality of life and is happy spending more than half of his monthly salary on rent... On, say, 100k, that's quite a large budget for rent.
That 'nice place' would include being very central.
In NY 'being central' doesn't really mean much as i'd happily live pretty much anywhere in Manhattan, but it will have to be Manhattan. Not really anywhere, but at least there are a few areas i can choose from. Like London, really.

Well i'm one of those crazy people who actually believes that living in a nice place increases the quality of life and is happy spending more than half of his monthly salary on rent... On, say, 100k, that's quite a large budget for rent.
In NY 'being central' doesn't really mean much as i'd happily live pretty much anywhere in Manhattan, but it will have to be Manhattan. Not really anywhere, but at least there are a few areas i can choose from. Like London, really.

Hoboken is much newer. It was a slum in the 80s and in the late 90s exploded into brand new condos . The construction on most of the city is brand new. You can hope on the water way , bus or path and be in the city in less than 5 minutes.

But like I said if you have to live in the city your going to pay for it. Manhattan is easily going to be 3 times the rent of what you'd get Hoboken and most likely double what you'd pay in brooklyn or queens.

You can find yourself devoting much of your pay check into just having a place to sleep.

L-B strikes me as "the Village" (Greenwich Village) people. It's obvious.
Nice place if you're a walking-to-party person,

You can get a nice 1 BR apartment in Greenwich Village for under $3k/month easy.
You can buy a $300k house in New Jersey for the same amount :)

The West Village is more artsy people (typically 30 somes), Chelsea is more common for the gay community, but pretty much anywhere downtown will have nightlife and a good vibe.

Manhattan is pretty inexpensive aside from the rent (or if your company/school/whatever finds you a place). It is not like London where you spend an absolute fortune on cabs and everything under the sun. Things like laundry, food, cleaning materials are readily findable for not so much (if you know where to go)

Now, of course if you party every night, and want to eat at the good restaurants, buy the good art and so forth, then yes it is expensive.

But i've been here for a number of years, and get by just fine on a researchers salary so take it for what its worth.

The biggest cost reducer in Manhattan is the fact that you don't need a car, and typically the girls here don't require the men to spend a fortune on them (they often have more than I do anyway). The biggest expense (other than rent) is having rich friends who can trivially afford to go on vacations whenever they want, play at golf clubs, buy bottles at night clubs and the like... Its very easy to get caught up in that lifestyle and its embarrasing when you can't necessarily follow them.

Back