US salaries question

Is the number of paid days of holiday in the US still quite low?

Yes. Most companies have between 7 and 11 paid holidays per year.
Employees typically start with 10 paid vacation days too.
Paid sick days are also often limited to about 4 per year.

Vacation days increase with seniority with more progressive companies allowing employees to accrue as many as 20 or even 25 per year. Most companies, however, don't go above 15.

FYI: "holiday" are fixed days off (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) whereas "vacation" days are chosen by the employee

Yes. Most companies have between 7 and 11 paid holidays per year.
Employees typically start with 10 paid vacation days too.
Paid sick days are also often limited to about 4 per year.

Vacation days increase with seniority with more progressive companies allowing employees to accrue as many as 20 or even 25 per year. Most companies, however, don't go above 15.

FYI: "holiday" are fixed days off (Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.) whereas "vacation" days are chosen by the employee

Wow. That's really crap. How can you stand that? The more time goes on, the less i want to work. I need my breaks!

How do you think it is that American workers have the "highest efficiency" of Western work forces? Fewer holidays.

Of course if you're a key person or owner you have a lot more flexibility.

How do you think it is that American workers have the "highest efficiency" of Western work forces? Fewer holidays.

Of course if you're a key person or owner you have a lot more flexibility.

Certainly explains why you're all crazy!! :LOL: j/k

Certainly explains why you're all crazy!! :LOL: j/k

No doubt.

Seriously though, if you're floated an offer and you KNOW they want you, you can push hard for more time off. Most companies won't go over 5 weeks (25 days), but the difference between two weeks (10 days) and five weeks is huge for keeping the spiders at bay.

No doubt.

Seriously though, if you're floated an offer and you KNOW they want you, you can push hard for more time off. Most companies won't go over 5 weeks (25 days), but the difference between two weeks (10 days) and five weeks is huge for keeping the spiders at bay.

Massive difference. Come on, i have things to do, people and places to see! 2 weeks just aint gonna cut it :D

Well, based on your paragraph resume, you should be in a position to insist on 5 weeks.

Wow. That's really crap. How can you stand that? The more time goes on, the less i want to work. I need my breaks!

Well if the base salary is much better, then it shouldn't matter as much if the employer doesn't pay for the vacation. Mize what do the employers say about free days without salary?

To me that system sound much better than the European system, where employees can stay home for whatever reason they can come up with and still get their salary. That really hurts the businesses around here, especially on fields where the work output is the thing a company sells. Why should a company pay you money for anything other than the work you do? They should let you have for example 4-5 weeks of free time per year without salary, while keeping the yearly income competitive.

I'm sure it's the same in the UK, but when negotiating the job (salary, etc.) EVERYTHING is negotiable. Hell, if you want a polka-dotted office that's the time to negotiate for it. Once hired, too late.

Well if the base salary is much better, then it shouldn't matter as much if the employer doesn't pay for the vacation. Mize what do the employers say about free days without salary?

To me that system sound much better than the European system, where employees can stay home for whatever reason they can come up with and still get their salary. That really hurts the businesses around here, especially on fields where the work output is the thing a company sells. Why should a company pay you money for anything other than the work you do? They should let you have for example 4-5 weeks of free time per year without salary, while keeping the yearly income competitive.

Leave without pay varies from company to company and by position.
Some companies will simply say "no" and your fired if you do it, while others are lenient. If you have a truly key position (no back-up) you'll find companies reluctant to let you take more than one consecutive week even if you have vacation time accrued. Some companies are so bad they buy back vacation time and virtually all US companies limit how much vacation you can carry-over to the following year.

There's also comp time here. So, for example, if I send someone to Asia and they fly on Saturday (arrive Sunday night) and return Saturday they will effectively give up three weekend days. While many states don't allow for comp time, I will "look the other way" if they choose to take a couple/three extra days off to make up for those weekend travel days.

I am not the norm, however. Many companies see travel-on-your-time as part of the job. Personally I think that's bullsh*t.

Sorry but what is the difference between having 5 days of fully paid holidays(= 'my way'), and, say, 5 weeks of unpaid holidays but with a salary which is higher in order to cover those holidays (= 'your way')?
'Your way', the business will actually gain from the employee using the full 5 weeks and 'loses' more the less holidays he uses. On top of that, the salary would be higher than 'my way'.
'My way', the business 'loses' 5 weeks whether the employee stays at home or not. The salary would be, as you said, comparatively lower than 'your way'.

Surely a business is set to lose less doing it 'my way', especially if we start talking about real efficiency of an over-stressed worker: 'being at work' hardly means being efficient, especially if one is over-worked and in need of a break!

I am not the norm, however. Many companies see travel-on-your-time as part of the job. Personally I think that's bullsh*t.

Have to agree with you their Mize - spending time in an airport for someone else is not done willingly, even if they are related!

As to the salaries comparison - if you factor in exchange rate the difference doesn't seem to be all that. Or am I misunderstanding something here (easily done).

Sorry for barging in on your thread LB - nice to see you back. You must have missed me too. :cool:

As to the salaries comparison - if you factor in exchange rate the difference doesn't seem to be all that. Or am I misunderstanding something here (easily done).

Yes. Let me clarify.

Real estate is comparable expense between London and NYC. Everything else is about 1:1 in the relative currency. If a sandwich costs you $6 in NYC it's 6 pounds in London. I can't understand why, but it is.

Sorry but what is the difference between having 5 days of fully paid holidays(= 'my way'), and, say, 5 weeks of unpaid holidays but with a salary which is higher in order to cover those holidays (= 'your way')?
'Your way', the business will actually gain from the employee using the full 5 weeks and 'loses' more the less holidays he uses. On top of that, the salary would be higher than 'my way'.
'My way', the business 'loses' 5 weeks whether the employee stays at home or not. The salary would be, as you said, comparatively lower than 'your way'.

Surely a business is set to lose less doing it 'my way', especially if we start talking about real efficiency of an over-stressed worker: 'being at work' hardly means being efficient, especially if one is over-worked and in need of a break!

You're right about the overstressed part, as many would just stay at work. I have to admit I didn't really thought it through as my main point was just about the responsibilities of the employer and with regards to those, I think it makes sense that they pay for work.

I don't know how holidays work in most places, but atleast in Finland the employee would lose more than 5 weeks in 'London boy way', because they would have to pay 5 week salary + 30 days of holiday compensation (in Finland one holiday week spends 6 days from your earned holiday "reserves") In Finland you earn 2 or 2.5 days of holiday each month and if you don't use them, you get the money. If you use the holiday, then you get pretty much the normal salary+ 50% more when you get back to work.

You're right about the overstressed part, as many would just stay at work. I have to admit I didn't really thought it through as my main point was just about the responsibilities of the employer and with regards to those, I think it makes sense that they pay for work.

I don't know how holidays work in most places, but atleast in Finland the employee would lose more than 5 weeks in 'London boy way', because they would have to pay 5 week salary + 30 days of holiday compensation (in Finland one holiday week spends 6 days from your earned holiday "reserves") In Finland you earn 2 or 2.5 days of holiday each month and if you don't use them, you get the money. If you use the holiday, then you get pretty much the normal salary+ 50% more when you get back to work.

So advanced and complicated! So nordic! :LOL:

Here, you get your salary every month (if you're lucky and your company isn't bought by a big american group and you still have a job at the end of the month), a certain amount of paid leave (between 20 and 30 days per year normally) and that's it! .
The holidays you don't use in one year get carried over to the next (in my company this is capped to 5 days). Some companies (not mine unfortunately) 'buys back' days if you dont need them, while others let you 'buy days' - which is pretty much unpaid leave, really, and is closer to 'Dr Evil's way'. :D

Back