Upgrading network to 1Gbit

Is that DSL or cable John?

Comcast in my new area, a middling/good plan:

1362261998.png

EDITED BITS: Just noticed the "faster than 99% of the US", wft? :oops:
Yeah, I totally believe that. I don't think most of the US even gets close to 10Mb/s.

Being on DSL doesn't mean you have a private line from network root node to your PC. ISP's always oversell their capacity, no matter what technology they use to connect end-users.
Well, you do have a private line going from your own residence to your ISP's equipment central, namely your twisted pair of copper wires in the phone line trunk... Only there do you start sharing bandwidth, whereas with cable potentially many customers are all connected up to the same physical pipe, like bad ol' coaxial ethernet. So you get two kinds of sharing for the price of one there; first, bandwidth like with *DSL, and second, elbow room for your packets on the cable conductor...

I prefer a system where I don't have to fight with others for bandwidth quite as much. :p

Funny thing is at least here in Estonia it's the DSL customers that are constantly complaining about not getting their maximum promised throughput while cable users don't generally seem to have much problems :p

hoho said:
Funny thing is at least here in Estonia it's the DSL customers that are constantly complaining about not getting their maximum promised throughput while cable users don't generally seem to have much problems :p

Same here ... cable providers are the only ones here that match their promised speeds consistently, sometimes even overdelivering.

it seems like I'm having a 1.37Mb upstream instead of the advertised 1Mb, on DSL.
the download is a nice enough 15Mb.

torrenting is incredibly fast, as the upload speed is rewarded (I cap it at 100KB/s) and there are so many more people at it.
back in the era of 512/128 DSL, then 1024/128 and 2048/128, a movie took about a week (without back luck), with major slowdowns in browsing or gaming, and you would upload 400% of it before getting it done. aww!

my provider (free.fr) was the one that launched the "all your line can eat" model, on their first broadband offers, and the other ISP had to reluctantly follow suit.
now in areas were fiber is commercially available, people report of getting > 200Mb down, about 200Mb up :), advertised speed is 100Mb/50Mb while competitors sell 100Mb/10Mb.

I believe my town is mostly wired (i.e. all the underground stuff in sewers and the like), fiber has been deployed over the last two years, but they'll do some big commercial launch this year. the ISP provided box sitting here is dual mode, DSL modem and fiber network interface.

I don't know about those speed test percentages... I'm pretty sure my 24/2Mb connection is not faster than 99% of the connections in here. I think in most of the big cities in Finland there is a cable option with 100-200Mb speeds and many new building are wired with fibre and has a option for similar speeds. No way in hell is my 24Mb in top 1%. I dunno maybe if it counts all the mobile connections as well...

Yeah, probably.

By the way, to show the consistent speeds for our cable, here's the test ran at the busiest time of day over here (22:00)

At around 20pm CET I was downloading ~10GB of stuff from gamersgate (servers at least 1-2k km from me through several countries) at average of 14MB/s(~112Mbit/s). I wish Steam could provide that kind of numbers, usually I get just 2-3MB/s when using Sweden or Finland servers that should be <500km away.

all this nums are a bit suss (hell I tried mine as well I forget exactly what it was)
but like everyone else Im in the upper bracket top >=85%
ehildt theres a fair chance readers of this forum will have better plans/tech than the average person but not to this extent

all this nums are a bit suss (hell I tried mine as well I forget exactly what it was)
but like everyone else Im in the upper bracket top >=85%
ehildt theres a fair chance readers of this forum will have better plans/tech than the average person but not to this extent

Why are they a bit suss? It's not as if we can max out these connections anytime we want, very highly dependant on sources. For most of these connections it's what the modem is capping us at, or what the line to the house is physically capable of.

or what the line to the house is physically capable of.
As long as you aren't going into tripple-digit mbit/s then pretty much anything that's wired and can transfer bits is not going to bottleneck you.

For capping out the connection p2p works pretty well.

Back