Upgrading network to 1Gbit

1199444203.png

When I was downloading Ubuntu updates today, I noticed a download speed of 5,084KB/s ... so I went to check, and turns out we recently got a 33% speed boost. :)

Also wondering: if someone like Frank (or me if I pay 15 more euros p/m) gets 120Mbit/s, isn't that faster than the average read speed of the current gen consoles?

I'm lucky if I pull 600-700k/sec here in Ohio using Time Warner cable.
Ye gods... And you call yourselves a first world country? :p (I keed, I keed...)

Looking forward to pay-per-byte schemes and the end of net neutrality too, btw? It's like, you've been having it too good up until now, and you need to be brought back down to earth again, from listening to all those US ISP company execs...

Ye gods... And you call yourselves a first world country? (I keed, I keed...)

We've let our infrastructure go to shit over the last few decades. Unregulated capitalism *always* works best, dontcha know?!!

1362204291.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that DSL or cable John?

Comcast in my new area, a middling/good plan:

1362261998.png

EDITED BITS: Just noticed the "faster than 99% of the US", wft? :oops:

We've let your infrastructure go to shit over the last few decades.
Sorry to hear that. Pretty sad that you get 2.5ish Mbit/s and are faster than 90+ of the US. So you're a sparsely populated country, but surely a majority of the population lives in urban areas? And the speed of a bandwidth connection doesn't neccessarily have to be all that low just because it's a rural area, a buddy of mine is able to get 8Mbit/s ADSL out in the middle of a friggen forest. Of course, due to distance to the DSLAM and the ancient, patched-a-million-times-due-to-windfelled-trees aerial phonelines he only manages to get about 1.5, but if he'd had a proper cable the speed would have been much better.

I'm a little slow lately for whatever reason, I usually get 15ish Mbps:
1362297959.png

Unregulated capitalism *always* works best, dontcha know?!!
Ugh, don't get me started, man! lol... You should know better than to ask ME rethorical questions like that! ;)

I'm surprised at how well I connected to a server over 300 miles away. There's still one plan level above what I'm on too.

1362356311.png

TWC's best plan in Columbia SC. Split between 3 unwittingly bandwidth hogging roommates :cry:

Thought i'd join in this 'fun'

1362628598.png

The connection 'seems' fast to me :) and isn't too bad considering I live in a small town of only 1500 people and it says i'm faster than 96% of AU.

thats because you have a mega awesome ISP :LOL:.

my Inet connection is the lame :cry: , but i could post pics of my nexus lab thats far more impressive :D

Thought i'd join in this 'fun'

1362628598.png

The connection 'seems' fast to me :) and isn't too bad considering I live in a small town of only 1500 people and it says i'm faster than 96% of AU.

That's actually very good for an Australian connection :)

My connection at work:

That's actually very good for an Australian connection :)

My connection at work:

i wouldn't say its very good, its not bad (above average). There are millions of homes on HFC running DOCSIS 3.0 , a little bit on fibre, a few on VDSL and the rest on ADSL 2+. for the most part most houses are within 5k/m (cable length) of an exchange/rim/mux and generally looking at around 4-5mbit at that distance.

this is my work connection (on site at client for long term engagement), speed is being limited cuz of the old POS proxies.
1363892388.png

im sure with some TCP stack tuning i could get that upload much higher. ( not that i want to touch those proxies with a 10 foot poll)

We've let our infrastructure go to shit over the last few decades. Unregulated capitalism *always* works best, dontcha know?!!

1362204291.png

Heh, that's cable for you. Each neighborhood trunk is set to serve quite a few residences. If you're like Digitalwanderer and not many subscribe in your area you get fast speeds. On the other hand if you have your situation with lots of subscribers in your area that download frequently you end up with low bandwidth.

Yours isn't even the worst I've seen. I've seen people paying for 40 mbit Comcast connections that are lucky to download anything at higher than 100-200 KB/s during primetime with pings hitting in the 500-2000 ms range. Probably one of the posterchild area's which prompted Comcast to try instigating all those bandwidth caps they've been experimenting with.

That's the main reason I'm on DSL. Not shared and always have full bandwidth available, at least for my service. It's max is much much slower in my area. But it's not variable or dependant on how many subscribers there are on my trunk. Have a friend here with Comcast 20 Mbit service that's slower than my 7 Mbit. Then again another friend with 20 Mbit service is much faster.

Regards,
SB

Being on DSL doesn't mean you have a private line from network root node to your PC. ISP's always oversell their capacity, no matter what technology they use to connect end-users.

1364889105.png

I had much faster Cable connection last year, but it had a shit ton of problems, I got tired of it and now I'm running this DSL. It gets the job done, but wouldn't want it to be any slower though. I'm married to this until Jan 2013 and if I still live in this flat by then, I hope there will be faster and better options available.

Being on DSL doesn't mean you have a private line from network root node to your PC. ISP's always oversell their capacity, no matter what technology they use to connect end-users.

In which case, my DSL provider must not oversubscribe by much as I live near downtown in an area where there are blocks of apartment buildings and advertised speed is always available even during primetime. Unlike everyone I know with Comcast who doesn't live out in the suburbs here. They get PO'd when their 20+ Mbps plans net them lower transfers than me during primetime and weekends.

Now if only Verizon FIOS was out here or my DSL provider would get around to rolling out Fiber to the Curb here.

Regards,
SB

Back