Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

(especially the NPC shadows popping in and out frames at certain distances)
Beyond that, what other shadow "LOD" issues are you seeing? Do you just mean resolution stuff? I mean there's some minor issues in places due to the light angle being extremely low + very high detailed geometry, leading to some rather challenging cases for shadow maps, but overall there aren't a ton of visible issues in the demo that I know of. Be curious what you're referring to if you could post a quick video or screenshot.

Beyond that, what other shadow "LOD" issues are you seeing? Do you just mean resolution stuff? I mean there's some minor issues in places due to the light angle being extremely low + very high detailed geometry, leading to some rather challenging cases for shadow maps, but overall there aren't a ton of visible issues in the demo that I know of. Be curious what you're referring to if you could post a quick video or screenshot.

As soon as I get a chance to take some shots I will.

As soon as I get a chance to take some shots I will.
Waiting for you to line up the light with the stupid overhead freeway signs perfectly to make the geometric grating aliasing cast over a huge region of the highway :p

But beyond that I'm curious what you find! I'm not claiming it's perfect, but overall pretty happy with the results especially considering there was basically zero artist tweaking involved in the directional light shadows, whereas usually it's pretty common to adjust biases, cascades, filtering and light angles to avoid artifacts.

Yea, figures that a PC demo likely isn't in the works because it's likely a lot of extra work. Sucks, but what are you gonna do? There'll be plenty of cool UE5 tech demos coming over the years I'm sure. I expect Nvidia to collaborate with some visual effects studios again and raise the bar even farther.

That "Troll" demo was made in UE4 and looks absolutely bonkers to this day and features some pretty advanced RT effects too. I think that was supposed to be a multi part demo (iirc) so perhaps they'll release a new iteration of that demo to show how far the engine tech, and their hardware has come since then.

Waiting for you to line up the light with the stupid overhead freeway signs perfectly to make the geometric grating aliasing cast over a huge region of the highway :p

But beyond that I'm curious what you find! I'm not claiming it's perfect, but overall pretty happy with the results especially considering there was basically zero artist tweaking involved in the directional light shadows, whereas usually it's pretty common to adjust biases, cascades, filtering and light angles to avoid artifacts.

LOL. No, I left the sunlight position in the original setting.

I'm converting the PS5 video webm files now. I wish I had captured some of the prior stuff... I believe the issue maybe is how I perceive geometry [Nanite] LoD when it comes into perspective or scene and the way shadows comes into focus or play.

If you focus closely, you will see some geometry/Nanite LoD coming into focus, which from my perspective creates an illusion of shadows popping in.

FYI, great next-generation demo!!!

Last edited:
The most impressive aspect to me is that the XSS can run it relatively well, i'd expected the PS5/XSX to run UE5 engine/games since the engine has been showcased on both platforms before. The XSS has gotten negativety due to its low (ish) hardware but it seems to be able to tag along quite well this generation, albeit at lower resolutions and not the performance modes the premium consoles might offer. Someone on a tighter budget with a 1080p screen has a cheap alternative to get 'next gen' hardware at home. Also, their actually available.

DF updated the article about resolutions : https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...kens-previewing-the-future-of-gaming-graphics

Same for me unfortunately :( Did you set them to private or something? Maybe unlisted instead?

Should be working now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you focus closely, you will see some geometry/Nanite LoD coming into focus, which from my perspective creates an illusion of shadows popping in.

FYI, great next-generation demo!!!

Last edited:
@Shortbread That is really interesting. Almost looks like a bug. Between videos there seems to be no consistency in the depth at which that occurs, and it also doesn't affect all of the buildings in the same depth from the camera.

I honestly can't tell if it's a change in lod or if it's a change in shadows. The general shape doesn't really look like it's changing to me, but i don't know.

I mean, you can also see some pop in Hellblade 2, along the ground as the camera moves quickly along the rocky beach at the beginning.

Is that nanite, or "virtualized heightfields"? Dunno, could even be in part due to fast camera movement and TAA not having time to clean it up.

I mean, you can also see some pop in Hellblade 2, along the ground as the camera moves quickly along the rocky beach at the beginning.

Is that nanite, or "virtualized heightfields"? Dunno, could even be in part due to fast camera movement and TAA not having time to clean it up.

It's so hard to tell with video compression. Hellblade 2 is almost the worst case because it's dark, has high frequency detail, aggressive depth-of-field, motion blur, and the camera is moving. I really wish there was some better tech out there so wee could get better quality video with reasonable bit rates. There's only so much I can tell from looking at vids of the matrix demo and hellblade 2. Not even removely comparable to the native experience.

Edit: Hey, I can enable vp1 playback on youtube with my rtx 3080. Who knew? This trailer still looks pretty blurry though.

Last edited:
there was basically zero artist tweaking involved in the directional light shadows, whereas usually it's pretty common to adjust biases, cascades, filtering and light angles to avoid artifacts.

Is that true for open world games? For the dynamic sun? I assumed these are tweaked once for the most robust solution for all possible scenarios, and then begrudgingly accept the artifacts that can't be avoided. No? Are there ways to tweak it more beyond that?

Back