Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Should be working now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you focus closely, you will see some geometry/Nanite LoD coming into focus, which from my perspective creates an illusion of shadows popping in.

FYI, great next-generation demo!!!

My guess is those are LOD changes, and not even Nanite ones, but Hieralchical LODing, as already stated before. If you could switch to the different Nanite view modes in those videos, we'd be able to see what's happening better.

I also speculate these HLOD transitions do use the old stochastic transparency fade, unlike nanite that simply switches models with no transition (TAA does all the work). If that is the case, and it is possible to turn off TAA and Reconstruction, we'd be able to spot the stipple patterns of the stochastic transparency.

Last edited:
I'm not simply talking about aesthetics and artistry, I'm talking about the amount of activity, animations, population density, traffic density, and interactions going on. PS3 GTA 4 edition wasn't even remotely close to showing the amount of things/activities/interactions going on screen as seen in the TG3 demo. If I'm not mistaken, The Getaway 3 playable demo failed to impress because so much was stripped from the original reveal demo.
we had a Getaway playable demo? :eek:

we had a Getaway playable demo? :eek:

No. If my memory serves me right, a playable demo for both Eight Days and The Getaway 3 got canceled days prior to E3 2007 (then both projects got canned around 2008-09 time period). From what was rumored by those in the know, both demos *cough* CELL *cough* didn't live up to what was expected.

i didnt realize that the models were from movies (or movies-quality, and the younger keanu even captured from old movie reel in a warehouse somewhere) and simply used in unreal, according to the verge's interviewer here

that i forgot the time stamp

My guess is those are LOD changes, and not even Nanite ones, but Hieralchical LODing, as already stated before. If you could switch to the different Nanite view modes in those videos, we'd be able to see what's happening better.

I also speculate these HLOD transitions do use the old stochastic transparency fade, unlike nanite that simply switches models with no transition (TAA does all the work). If that is the case, and it is possible to turn off TAA and Reconstruction, we'd be able to spot the stipple patterns of the stochastic transparency.
Why wouldn't they use Nanite LOD changes in those buildings? Being completely static geometry it seems like it's the perfect scenario for Nanite.

Might just be that some Nanite LODs are being able to capture more geometric detail than others, changing from almost a flat polygon to a more complex surface that, even though it satisfies the perception of being almost the same from a geometry POV at that resolution , generate complete different shadows.

If you focus closely...
You don't have to watch closely - it is obvious! ;) I wonder if that's what I noticed watching the original, with these great aerial vistas, and then suddenly something glitched, not unlike The Matrix. I'll rewatch and get timecodes.

Edit: These are some errors that stand out because the rest is so perfect. Remarkable detail and stability, and then a few oddities. Needs to be watched in motion as they are all of single frame blips.

upload_2021-12-14_11-32-21.png

upload_2021-12-14_11-32-29.png

upload_2021-12-14_11-32-36.png

upload_2021-12-14_11-36-15.png

Am I nitpicking? Well, if you don't want nits, you want someone to pick 'em. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
i didnt realize that the models were from movies (or movies-quality, and the younger keanu even captured from old movie reel in a warehouse somewhere) and simply used in unreal

FXGuide tells the deaged Keanu story a little differently

Deaging Keanu was one of the more challenging things to achieve. Adam Skutt, Senior Character Artist at Epic Games. When Keanu visited 3Lateral to be scanned he had finished filming with the main unit and he was clean-shaven. But de-aging the 57-year-old actor was complex as there was no perfect reference from 1999, there was a plaster scan but the expression was not ideal. “We didn’t have a perfect neutral pose and to add on top of that one of the references was from the 1999 ‘universal capture'” comments Adam. Back on the original Matrix films, the key actors were filmed with a set of HD cameras side-mounted (9:16). But due to the ISO on the Sony F900s then the multi-camera performance capture used very strong lighting. “He was under extremely hot, bright lights.so I think he was squinting and then there was the outdoor reference but then he had sunglasses on.”

Keanu does not age.

a97Pz3m_700b_v1.jpg

Why wouldn't they use Nanite LOD changes in those buildings? Being completely static geometry it seems like it's the perfect scenario for Nanite.

Might just be that some Nanite LODs are being able to capture more geometric detail than others, changing from almost a flat polygon to a more complex surface that, even though it satisfies the perception of being almost the same from a geometry POV at that resolution , generate complete different shadows.

Because these buildings are made up out of a collection of hundreds of different and repeated instances. They are not single models. Each window, corner, square meter of wall, stretch of roofing, air conditioning box, etc, is a different separate nanite object.

At a certain distance, each one of those will already have been simplified down to their limit through nanite itself, down to a single quad, or at most a cuboid shape. The next level of simplification would mean having all those smaller pieces be switched by one single larger model wich can then be simplified even further, also through nanite. I'm guessing those larger changes causing some pop-in are those largee swaps, which are not typical Nanite LOD changes. Its outside Nanite system's scope. They are more like old-school LOD changes.

Last edited:
keanu, tom cruz, etc won the genetic lottery hahaha
Keanu looked really rough and bloated around the bill and ted filming time. Tom cruise basically has a cult that give him everything he needs. They are both extremely rich and who's job it is to stay fit. So I am sure they are on every vitamin and supplement known to man and most likely have the highest quality skin care creams and treatments. At this point in time if you get rich young enough you can have an amazing middle to end of your life. You see this with female actresses also. Jennifer Aniston looks amazing at 52 as does kate Beckinsale at 48. Yes they all get botox and other surgeries that can help (or make it worse depending).

As for the graphics in this demo. Well it be great if this is the standard moving forward in games although the transition from real keanu to fake is jarring

The transitions looked awesome to me. The cutscene in the car was really realistic looking. And UE5 keanu looks much more convincing than 2002 CGI keanu un the movie.

@0:09 hum, that clipping never happened to me. I know the car crashes are very dynamic (or rarely the same) when shooting out the tires. So, it seems from that clipping, that transitional scenes are affected as well from the dynamic behavior of how one approaches these chases.

Sorry if this has been brought up before but does anyone else find interesting that The Coalition, who is arguably the best UE developer in the Xbox side, had to be brought to optimize the demo on XSS/XSX and even after that, it runs worse (framerate-wise) than the PS5 version?

Two possibilities I can think of:
- Either Epic doesn't have the knowledge to optimize their own engine on those platforms, which seems unlikely
- Or the XSS/XSX hardware is not really well suited to run something like this

Seeing as UE is one of the most, if not the most, used engine across third parties I don't think it bodes well for comparisons across platforms. If I were Microsoft I'd undoubtedly give in to every demand Epic has when developing a hardware console

Another thing interesting is UE running better on the PS5 when none of their first party studios use it.

Or Epic has had more time with the PS5.

https://www.gamesradar.com/epic-reveals-how-its-been-working-with-sony-for-years-on-unreal-engine-5/
In the interview, which is in E347, Sweeney says that discussions between Epic and Sony started several years ago: "It was three or four years ago at least when we started to talk with Mark Cerny about possibilities for the next generation." As Edge goes on to detail, the conversations between Epic and Sony centred around the growing realisation that storage architecture in game hardware was limiting what developers could do when it comes to making games.

PS5 specs is the console's new storage system. With its tailor-made SSD, the PS5 is set to process game data 100 times faster than a PS4, and will speed up PS5 loading times for the next-generation of game worlds. Sweeney says the collaboration with Sony has been longer-running than with Microsoft, and the team at Epic were able to get very early access to Sony's next-gen hardware, which influenced the decision to debut the Unreal Engine 5 tech demo on the PS5.

Looking at some of the screenshots I can imagine something like this happening at take2

CEO - GTA6 engine developers, can you come in here for a second
CEO - sorry to say with the work you've done over the last 2 years on the new engine for GTA6, but you're all fired
CEO - get me epic on the phone now

J/K of course

More like, "Scrap it all and start again!!! Plus GTA Online is still killing it so we are in no hurry."

Back