Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Streaming assets for rendering instead of requiring everything in VRAM would be awesome.

Star Citizen Dev said, that there will be no visual uplift if he use Nanite. Is this true?
When I see the trees in Star Citizen it is not looking good, vegetation looks boring and this is the main reason I bought into this game, for exploring interesting worlds.

See here example for Star Citizen trees and Nanite trees, look at the border of the trees left and right and how much details micro Polygons add. Also see the shadows of the leaves at the right below picture.(Star Citizen Top, Nanite Below in the image)
0AC099E3-D6F6-4310-A4E7-7F9C9A2FFCE9.jpeg

Attachments

• CE83D885-9368-4EAE-8334-48F8C213FAB5.jpeg
    CE83D885-9368-4EAE-8334-48F8C213FAB5.jpeg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It's just an old post talking about their hard surface modelling, which is being switched over to some sort of tessellation anyway. No mention of trees/etc.

Of course it's still wrong, meshlets are useful everywhere and with work are portable everywhere, CoD and Doom Eternal and even Ubisoft titles (I believe? it's unclear how many) use such. It'd certainly make sense for Star Citizen even without the poor vegetation geo.

What a difference proper materials and lighting can do

It is not llightning. It is the geometry which interacts with the light. You she the Bolts and the fine shadow of these bolts? This makes the Sceen realistic. You don't need ray tracing to look good. You need a medium light source and good gemotry and you will have astonishing effects.
geometry.jpg

You think they'd just toggle it on. It's essentially a static scene though, so it's not like they need Nanite's streaming/LOD shenanigans.
FAQ

- Is it real time? No, it's a high-res render (around 7 frames per second). I can run it in real time (30-50 fps 1440p for daytime), but image quality is worse. It's not particularly optimized anyway, you could get better performance with a little more work

- Specs? RTX 2080, Ryzen 7 3700x.

- Breakdown? I'm working on it, but it'll probably be a post on my Artstation.

- How long did it take? About a month.

- How did you record the camera? I used a VR controller for motion tracking.

It is not llightning. It is the geometry which interacts with the light. You she the Bolts and the fine shadow of these bolts? This makes the Sceen realistic. You don't need ray tracing to look good. You need a medium light source and good gemotry and you will have astonishing effects.
View attachment 6478
the geometry doesnt do wonders by itself. This is simple geometry, complimented by what you actually describe to be proper materials and lighting. This is the power of the latter two.

Lightning is nothing without geometry. Without geometry no shadows. are more complex geometry as more complex lightning you have.
This is true but you guys are acting as if dropping this mesh into unity or ue4 (which you can totally do!) would look as good. The shadows you’re calling out are a direct consequence of the vsms.

This is true but you guys are acting as if dropping this mesh into unity or ue4 (which you can totally do!) would look as good. The shadows you’re calling out are a direct consequence of the vsms.

Its a new rule of the forums that at least one new fight of the importance of Geo Vs. Lighting must be had each month. Just ignore it untill all the old tired arguments are repeated at least 8 times each.

Its a new rule of the forums that at least one new fight of the importance of Geo Vs. Lighting must be had each month. Just ignore it untill all the old tired arguments are repeated at least 8 times each.
We need both lightning and geometry. The thing is that with geometry we are fare behind. With lightning you will make only miner improvment but with geometry you will improve a lot. You can see this also in this comparsion between the UE4 and UE5 Engine. The Geometry make it looking good in both engines.

If you have high poly assets even old engines with simple lightning looks incredible good, but it eats a lot of performance. Also the forest i postet above was not Unreal 5 (Sorry for my mistake) It was born in UE4 Engine.

Last edited:

Man, that takes me back to 80's Japan when so many train stations were wooden structures like that. The nostalgia is huge in this for me.

If there's anything I'd really like from VR, it would be faithfully recreating how things looked decades ago so that I can revisit them. Well, minus the smell from attached outhouses in most Japanese homes of the 80's. :p

Would love to be able to walk down bar row in the outskirts of Tokyo in the mid 80's during rainy season again.

Regards,
SB

Back