Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Sure it might look a bit better, but most people won't notice anyway, as Lumen looks more than good enough.
I guess the main issue is that SW version has a lot of limitations which devs should keep in mind. This shot looks bad for a reason, the character looks totaly out of place since it's lit just with the screen space info (which is mostly absent in this shot) since SW lumen doesn't work for skinned geometry

https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.0/en-US/RenderingFeatures/Lumen/TechOverview/ - this is probably the most interesting documents section. Just finished reading it.
Yes, they do support HW RT GI for all types of geometry via the low poly proxies. Moreover, they claim that it's a better quality solution overall because the quality of proxies can be adjusted and it works for all geometry. SDF based Lumen has a lot of limitations and simplifications
Nice. Good to know all the limitations beforehand.

They make it sound like HW-RT is a lot slower than their software solution, which kind of defeats the purpose of having HW-RT at all.

Sure it might look a bit better, but most people won't notice anyway, as Lumen looks more than good enough. They should focus on having HW-RT accelerate Lumen.
The limitations for Lumen regarding screen space artefacting or the shadow map misalightment for GI out of screen space though seems like they could be Show Stopper at times visually. I Gotta try and test all this Stuff out when I have the time.

Runs well on my 3080, 35-40-ish fps at native 4k

ue5_18ykbq.jpg

ue5_2amjke.jpg

Reading through their shaders it seems they have a fall-back path that uses either a vertex shader or primitive shader based on the h/w support (for the raster path).

Would it be possible to check how much ram the demo uses? Does it use ssd or does it preload to ram and avoid streaming? I suppose easiest way to check ssd usage would be task manager and fly/run around and see how much disk io there is.

The most valuable thing somebody here could do is:
1- make a build
2- run the build with the editor closed
3- check ram consumption.

my money says <10gb, but who knows
oh, gofreak on resetera:

Oh, that'd be too big for me to pay for the bandwidth on D:

Performance was actually kind of crap, but I need to check my streaming connection and make sure it's not that. I'm using a cloud rig to run it. While running the demo doesn't actually use much system ram at all - ~4GB. Not sure how much video RAM it is using. Once I've cleared up any streaming issues i'm having and can get a proper fps counter on it i'll let you know.

4gb ram for a build. :)

Would it be possible to check how much ram the demo uses? Does it use ssd or does it preload to ram and avoid streaming? I suppose easiest way to check ssd usage would be task manager and fly/run around and see how much disk io there is.

Around 40 gigs of ram and all of the VRAM :yep2:

Tried a quick run on my 2080Ti sytem (the fastest gpu i have now), runs very well 30fps 4k.
Kinda cool we can actually play and move around in game worlds with graphics we where so wowed at last year (ue5 tech demo) on even older (but powerfull) systems. I build this thing late 2018.
Expected the editor early stuff to be much more taxing.

Edit: Seems that even before Direct Storage/RTX, PC IO/nvme is having no trouble at all doing what the ue5 tech demo did, laptop leak was kinda spot on lol ;)

Last edited:
Edit: Seems that even before Direct Storage/RTX, PC IO/nvme is having no trouble at all doing what the ue5 tech demo did, laptop leak was kinda spot on lol ;)

Yep! And why wouldn't it have been -- what kind of a game engine wouldn't run on a gaming laptop. SSDs are amazing but the hype cosole gamers have attached to them has been unreal.

Yep! And why wouldn't it have been -- what kind of a game engine wouldn't run on a gaming laptop. SSDs are amazing but the hype cosole gamers have attached to them has been unreal.

The jury is still out there. It kind of looks like pc version of current demo might have overcome disk IO by just loading most of the things into ram to begin with. But this is understandable. Epic cannot do awesome ssd streaming on consumer windows until microsoft releases DirectStorage for us to use. Epic likely already has DirectStorage integrated and working on xbox.

Well, the last DF video put an end to that. Only better times coming when things get even faster, direct storage isnt even here. 7gb/s nvme before compression aint too shabby either but still. Intresting times ahead for sure, Zen4 around the corner (zen3 is already a huge ipc uplift), RDNA3 and RTX4000 not far off either. Not to say RDNA2 aint impressive with its infinity cache, 2.5ghz clocks and 20TF+ gpus already out. For NV (Ampere and up), DLSS and RT are going to be intresting aswell.

The jury is still out there. It kind of looks like pc version of current demo might have overcome disk IO by just loading most of the things into ram to begin with. But this is understandable. Epic cannot do awesome ssd streaming on consumer windows until microsoft releases DirectStorage for us to use. Epic likely already has DirectStorage integrated and working on xbox.
Multiple resetera users report 4gb ram use for builds (sounds like a good number to fit on the consoles) -- I don't think there's any chance its loading the whole scene into memory.

The most valuable thing somebody here could do is:
1- make a build
2- run the build with the editor closed
3- check ram consumption.

my money says <10gb, but who knows

VRAM is 4GB someone tried on era.

It seems easy to port UE4 code to UE5

https://www.resetera.com/threads/unreal-engine-5-dev-workflow-stream-today-5-26.431627/post-65791916

All my code, blueprints, all the custom shaders, everything got transferred to UE5 with zero issue, And the craziest thing is that Lumen got the same value, color and overall LUT that I had with baked lighting. It's gonna be a very easy transition.

Back