Unread posts timeout limit and edit time limit

About the most annoying part for me is that New Posts only shows posts in which you have not read since the last post. Its very annoying to view a thread, then click New Posts again to get the newest list and those posts be gone, basically it makes finding rather recent posts but have not been posted since your last read a pain.

Possibly a minor issue to most, but I just find it very annoying, makes me have to go fishing around the forum to find threads. There's more in regards to how the list builds itself after a long period of time, but I just did a "Mark All Read" and I'll see how it behaves again after 24 hours.

hm... well, I don't have a particular problem with it so long as there's that sentence saying that the thread hasn't been updated since I last saw it. Although it'd be nice if there was some sort of date cutoff for it. I'm seeing threads that go back to the 4th of December. (It may not seem a long time ago, but the internet has this time dilation effect, see? It's uncanny!)

it'll take a bit for it to settle and work how it's supposed to
make sure you log out and back in again too

This new method might turn out to be pretty nice. Sometimes I only have a little bit of free time and would like to check B3D, but don't because all threads will be marked as read. If this keeps them around until I manually mark them read it will solve this issue. Plus there is the nice notification of what posts are truly new since the last visit.

We'll see how it works out after a few days though.

Oh no, I never log out from B3D after reading it at home or office. I just close the window, now it still shows the threads I already read as uread.:???:

Oh no, I never log out from B3D after reading it at home or office. I just close the window, now it still shows the threads I already read as uread.:???:
Ditto, after logout/login all article titles are still bold.

Ditto also. It's surprisingly irritating having to check the date of the last post to decide if you've already read the thread or not. :mad:

Not for me. Now, it shows all threads that have posts I haven't read since the last time I hit 'Mark Forums Read'. Before, unless the 15(?) minute session cookie was still active, it showed all new posts since my last visit.

Personally, I liked the old way better (but wouldn't have minded a slightly longer session window). I guess a change in surfing habits is in order to keep the 'New Posts' list for getting unwieldy.

Try the Mark Forums Read under "Quick Links" in the forum header for a one-time catch up and then see how it works.

That seems to be working great for me in the User CP of new posts of threads I'm subscribed to. I don't use "New Posts" tho.

It seems that this method is having a poor time of it when transferring from one PC to another. Threads that have already been marked as read at home appear as unread here. Threads that I have read here are still appearing as unread as well.

Interesting, that's not my experience here. Just tested it between desktop and laptop and it worked fine.

I love the new changes, but am currently only using B3D on one pc. The old way didn't bother me too much, though. Love the subscription list appearing in the CP, don't change that! ^^; However it ends up, thanks for being so attentive, guys!

I love the new changes, but am currently only using B3D on one pc. The old way didn't bother me too much, though. Love the subscription list appearing in the CP, don't change that! ^^; However it ends up, thanks for being so attentive, guys!

The User CP has always shown your latest subscribed threads, or at least it did for me.

I must say, I'm really not liking the change personally. I found the problem I stated earlier a real hassle, makes checking your post over a pain, or if you want to go back to that thread real quick a pain to find it through the normal forums list (I hardly ever take note of what forum a thread is in).

Also the list from the day before includes tons of threads I did read and that I know for sure has not been updated since my last visit. Marking all read isn't that bad, but that then also marks all recent posts read also.

This is working really well, thanks!

I'm using two computers (one at home, one at work) and haven't noticed any problems with threads getting marked as unread.

yes, once it settles down and starts working how it 's supposed to it's really very good.

2) Sometimes I end up editing my posts a few times and I end up with a "has been edited" footnote very shortly after I originally posted the message. Can't this be increased a bit? Say a 5 minute delay maybe? I usually just end up deleting my message and reposting it.

And the wheels of B3D may grind slowly, but they do grind. We've increased the delay on getting the "edited" footnote to five minutes, courtesy of The Tool.

Back