Unread posts timeout limit and edit time limit

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
I've been annoyed for a while at two things:

1) When I leave B3D in a tab and forget about it, it seems to fairly quickly mark all the unread posts as read. Could that be boosted up a lot more or even eliminated somehow?

2) Sometimes I end up editing my posts a few times and I end up with a "has been edited" footnote very shortly after I originally posted the message. Can't this be increased a bit? Say a 5 minute delay maybe? I usually just end up deleting my message and reposting it.

I've been annoyed for a while at two things:

1) When I leave B3D in a tab and forget about it, it seems to fairly quickly mark all the unread posts as read. Could that be boosted up a lot more or even eliminated somehow?

2) Sometimes I end up editing my posts a few times and I end up with a "has been edited" footnote very shortly after I originally posted the message. Can't this be increased a bit? Say a 5 minute delay maybe? I usually just end up deleting my message and reposting it.

Is there some mark of shame in "has been edited" that I'm unaware of?

Its just mostly embarrassing because people realise you type alot and just dont proofread. As someone who edits their posts often after I make the post within the first 2-3 minutes I can understand where he's coming from. Often I will say something. Then realise I dont like how I worded it and change it up so.

I fully accept that the limit should be increased. Heck, I do it stupidly aggressively myself. I preview a lot, and even when the wording pleases me, I always edit a lot to make the formatting to my tastes. It's perfectionism to a whole new level, and I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this to an extend or another.
A limit of 10 minutes or so might be a lot more reasonable. But then again, I'm not affected, being a mod and all... ;) But still, I can relate to the problem.

Uttar

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but...

1) When I leave B3D in a tab and forget about it, it seems to fairly quickly mark all the unread posts as read.

... this is so annoying! Pretty please, could you fix it somehow?

Wheeh, thank you :love:

Though an additional question, if you don't mind. Why cookies over database? Are these two methods
  1. Database (no automatic forum marking)
  2. Database (automatic forum marking)
too "processor intensive", like the post says?

We're doing some internal testing and consulting on that. We might end up there yet.

We've increased the session timeout to 20 minutes and enabled the Database (automatic forum marking) method for read/unread posts. You need to logout and then back in again to clear your cookies for it to be accurate.

We'll see how that goes.

hm... how long did you make it? It seems very very long. I did a new posts thing this morning, and now after about 5 hours I got the same list. :|

Well, we've switched to the DB way now. Try signing on/off to clear cookies and see how it looks.

oops musta posted at same time.

:oops: 306 new posts or something just went crazy.

edit: ah... "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts."

....except it seems to take everything into account. hm.... :???:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, my CP just loaded way up. What I did was use the Quick Links to Mark Forums Read, and that seems to be working going forward. I think there's a one time "cost" to turning on the DB method --everything is unread initially.

Yeah, that was not the part I was hoping for clarification on.

If you're interested in convincing us to change it back, we need more detail on your objection to what it is you're seeing now. At least I do, if you expect me to support you. Maybe others on the staff read your posts and went "Ah, yes, of course, how true!"

Back