Unity and a data-oriented approach

If I were a developer, I still wouldn't touch it. The management is the same, and they've basically shown they can change their license terms from under you at any time. My understanding is that Unreal Engine has part of their license that says they cannot do that. If you start a project, you get to keep the terms you started with. So Epic can change the terms, but you're basically locked into the old one you started with if you want.

The new terms do sound good for people who are too far into development to switch.

Disclaimer: I work for Unity (and it was a hell of a week 😓)

In the live fireside chat Marc Whitten said that we will be changing the TOS so that any future changes will only be applied from a particular version of Unity and not retroactively.

If I were a developer, I still wouldn't touch it. The management is the same, and they've basically shown they can change their license terms from under you at any time.
They've also shown they'll respond to their devs who have demonstrated they won't take abuse. Try it again and see what happens! the execs should be scared at this point and in full "we need to make amends and restore faith or our business is sunk" mode. Of course, they may not be and may be ultra aggressive in a couple of years, but we can see how things evolve.
My understanding is that Unreal Engine has part of their license that says they cannot do that. If you start a project, you get to keep the terms you started with. So Epic can change the terms, but you're basically locked into the old one you started with if you want.
Unity had that too - they removed it! There's a lot of question that's even legal. Any of these companies can try that sort of shenanigans. None of the big players are good agents. They are just competing for mindshare and money and all are vulnerable to the risks of management and attitude changes.
The new terms do sound good for people who are too far into development to switch.
It's not just development but knowledge and best practice and workflows and assets and features of the engines. In chatter over the alternatives, experienced Unity devs have reported Godot isn't ready for prime-time. Flax has a dodgy license (apparently being redrafted). Unigine is for PC. Unreal is quite a different beast (C++ over C# for one thing) not to mention we don't want a single-monopoly on gamedev. etc. There are no direct comparables and a swap to another engine is a massive backstep in some ways. It's a sacrifice worth making if your engine-dev is trying to screw you over, but not one worth it otherwise.

2.5% is very reasonable for a tool that complex. The main issue is the management needs to stop trying to grow in random directions and make smart business moves including progressing the engine, or the alternatives will catch up.

I'd recommend new developers try a range of engines and then develop games for those engines rather than picking a dream game and picking a major engine to drive it. In the case that you want a multiplatform title with various features, if you're a full-fat develop you can use whatever with low level API calls etc., but for a lot of indies, if you're already a Unity dev, the engine should be good for a couple of years. Maybe then the execs will push the fee a little further out, and a little further? Eagle eyes will be on the TOCs each release. So we can use that time to wait for other engines to develop and get our feet wet with them while Unity can also get to a healthier state and hopefully pull up its socks, or we walk once the other engines are ready to take us.

All round, more competition, some investment in the new engines from those who are leaving Unity, an overall rebalancing of power. A healthy shake-up of the industry in the end.

2.5% is very reasonable for a tool that complex. The main issue is the management needs to stop trying to grow in random directions and make smart business moves including progressing the engine, or the alternatives will catch up.
Agreed. It is less than the 5% Epic charges and is enough to cause many developers to think twice when making game engine decisions.

Also mod support out of the box, albeit unintended. C# is such a nice language with such a chatty compiler/linker, it's like having all the game code be open source (like it should be).

I wish all games were made in Unity.

In the live fireside chat Marc Whitten said that we will be changing the TOS so that any future changes will only be applied from a particular version of Unity and not retroactively.

You (Unity) already explicitly made that change in 2019.

Retroactive TOS changes​

When you obtain a version of Unity, and don’t upgrade your project, we think you should be able to stick to that version of the TOS.

In practice, that is only possible if you have access to bug fixes. For this reason, we now allow users to continue to use the TOS for the same major (year-based) version number, including Long Term Stable (LTS) builds that you are using in your project.

As Shifty Geezer notes, Unity then simply deleted that clause in 2023. Sinking more years and costs into using Unity will only make it even harder to disentangle when the same people who are still there try this yet again, or worse.

The dev of Wipeout-clone BallisticNG has said they won't port their game to NSW as Nintendo requires they use the latest Unity. I don't understand that as it means turning down money from a port which is the cheapest ROI once you have a game. Discussion has varied opinions including perhaps the new T&Cs would then retro-affect their Steam copy or complicate development, but it does raise an issue about licensing and changes.

Conceptually, TOS shouldn't change 'mid contract'. As such, someone should be able to use Unity 2022 forever without a change in terms. But then Unity can't move people onto a new Unity with a new license - 2022 and earlier are good enough for a lot of games with no need to upgrade. That ties Unity to their licensing model of yesteryear which was fine back then but no good now.

That must be their concern. How can they introduce a new revenue sharing system like Unreal if the T&Cs cannot be usurped? If they can't change licensing model, they risk being eclipsed. Whatever they do now, they are going to be crucified by developers for the changes. I can say what they did with the uTax was bonkers and wrong, but I can't say what the right next move is regards T&Cs. They'll introduce a very fair 2.5% revenue share, but everyone will stick to old Unity's and they won't see any money. If Unity don't force people to upgrade, they'll get no money. If they do force people, there'll be understandable outrage. Can they coax people by offering a better engine and experience worth the new TOS? Not in any short term so their revenue remains limited.

Unreal has to compete with Unity 2022 too, it's not all that relevant to the relative market for Unity 2024.

The pipedream of growing to justify their size and marketcap will have to die. The CEO tried to get more continuing income from past monsterhits with a 50 IQ play, either directly or by forcing revenue targets and then staying ignorant of how his underlings were trying to achieve it. They'll have to be satisfied working for an ordinary company and not an infinite growth one.

If Unity don't force people to upgrade, they'll get no money

I am partial to Tom Francis's response to this line of argument:

But they have to do this, their game engine business isn’t profitable!​

Ah, I didn’t know that, perhaps because I don’t give a fuck? It’s not the customer’s job to make your business plan pay off. I didn’t ask them to offer terms that don’t work for them, I didn’t ask them to hire 7,000 people, I never even made a feature request. They asked me to pay them $10,000 in sub fees on the promise that it meant no fee per-sale, then once I was in too deep to switch, they changed the deal.

He was more open than I am to re-added TOS guarantees (which have still not happened yet, to be clear).

That's not the argument I'm making. Whether they spent wisely or not (they didn't), if a TOS can't be changed for an ongoing endeavour, it means the companies are locked in in perpetuity. You might start with a Free model, grow, then need an income and find you can't start charging one. You've no idea in Year 1 what you Year 20 requirements will be so you can design a license agreement that'll work for both Year 1 and Year 20 users! Being able to change how your business operates seems to me a sensible and necessary requirement if companies are to be allowed grow and evolve.

When it comes to Unity's situation, I shouldn't have to pay for their mistakes but if the choice is a 2.5% revenue fee over $1 million or the company going bust and me losing Unity altogether, I'd choose the former. Sadly we live in a world where decision-makers can make a complete hash of everything without consequences, so they dick about like this and we have to make best of a bad situation. In the UK, Woking Borough Council went bankrupt £2 billion in debt because they spent on an insane redevelopment strategy. The people responsible aren't punished at all. If the residents have to pay more council tax to pay to get the bins emptied, I doubt many will refuse on principle it's unfair! Letting Unity crash and burn to the ground would only hurt the shareholders. The execs are so damned rich they don't lose anyway. One less yacht to worry about.

On the matter of Unity's spending nonsense, Epic today announced they are cutting staff:
Hi everyone,
As we shared earlier, we are laying off around 16% of Epic employees. We're divesting Bandcamp and spinning off most of SuperAwesome.

For a while now, we've been spending way more money than we earn, investing in the next evolution of Epic and growing Fortnite as a metaverse-inspired ecosystem for creators. I had long been optimistic that we could power through this transition without layoffs, but in retrospect I see that this was unrealistic.
Considering the crazy money they make, even they are having to optimise. There's no sanity to Unity's acquisitions which aren't hugely profitable and bolstering the company's income. Hence they feel a monetary pressure they shouldn't. Shedding dead weight seems necessary, but I doubt they will. Everything they've done since floating has been a disaster.

Considering the crazy money they make, even they are having to optimise.
Only in order to continue to push growth of profits at scales that investors are demanding, not to make profits to sustain and grow the company.

good riddance. Unity staff maybe could take legal action against him. What a foolish way to waste millions of dollars in brand value.

No doubt Riccitiello is the MVP of Unreal Engine right now, which is beating their biggest threat without any more weapons than a few simple statements.

Last edited:
No doubt Riccitiello is the MVP of Unreal Engine right now, which is beating their biggest threat without any more weapons than a few simple statements.
Right. The timing couldn't have been better, either. You had the first batch of UE5 games shipping with performance issues or running at very low resolutions on console, and the alternative engine is shooting itself in the foot and trying to cut off the leg to stop the bleeding.

The board is the real problem, Riccitiello is just the fallguy. They will (and need to) find other ways to generate more income and lower operating costs.

John Riccitiello is not a beloved figure amongst gamers. The former EA CEO notoriously pushed for microtransactions and increased costs to gamers, floating the idea of charging for weapon ammo in Battlefield back during his time at EA. Thankfully, the industry hasn't reached that point of price gouging yet, but his push for microtransactions can certainly be felt across the industry today, with the mobile gaming space relying almost entirely on microtransaction spending and many premium console and PC games also relying on microtransactions to support growing development costs.
While the recent controversy was not addressed in the announcement, the fact that the departure is immediate, with no successor lined up, indicates that this move was unplanned and fairly sudden. Now, Unity will begin its search for a new CEO

The board is the real problem, Riccitiello is just the fallguy. They will (and need to) find other ways to generate more income and lower operating costs.
hope they recover from this. I like Unity and alternatives, and now it has a nice extension for VS Code -along with .net maui-, so it might be fun to toy around with it

What makes you think that it will be a standard?
In Unity DOTS, the only actively developed options left are between URP and HDRP. HDRP is not supported on mobile devices and even if you don't use DOTS, Unity still wants to eventually make URP the default option. OpenGL ES also can't be used at all with deferred renderer in URP so a version bump (GLES 2.0 vs GLES 3.0) is a lot more tame in terms of system requirements to be able to use the forward+ renderer ...

Back