Unity and a data-oriented approach

Unity's IL2CPP compiler which compiles C# into C++ is vital infrastructure to enable their engine to support C# on every important platform including consoles too.

Do they hook up a GC to malloc/new for that? Isn't that really slow?

Do they hook up a GC to malloc/new for that? Isn't that really slow?

Above is their blog post on how their IL2CPP compiler interacts with their garbage collection and below is a sequel of sorts ...

Some historical insight into Unity's technology stack:

Above is their blog post on how their IL2CPP compiler interacts with their garbage collection and below is a sequel of sorts ...
I'll take that as a yes :)

Video game engine maker Unity has apologised after a furious response to its proposed new pricing plan.
The company behind the development tool said it wanted to charge studios every time a game made with it was installed.
Among heavy criticism, studios behind indie hits like Among Us, Slay the Spire and Cult of the Lamb threatened to ditch the tech in protest.
Unity's now said it will amend the policy, but developers say it will have to work hard to regain trust.
This generated a quick, angry response across the games industry, and some studios threatened to move to different engines even if it meant possible delays to new releases.

Garry Newman, creator of popular Garry's Mod and founder of Facepunch Studios, said the move had left people "furious".
"That would be like Adobe charging all users of Photoshop per image view," he said.

Developers also accused the company of violating their trust, and raised questions about how the charge would be applied.

In particular, developers worried about being charged for installations of pirate copies, and potential effect that being promoted on a subscription service like Microsoft Game Pass could have.

While the changes aren't official yet, Bloomberg got hold of a meeting recording where Unity executives outlined the new plan, which reportedly caps the Runtime Fee at 4% of the game's revenues over one million dollars. Developers will also be asked to report the installation figures themselves instead of being forced to deal with Unity's proprietary technology. Lastly, the installation threshold won't be retroactive, so only new installations made after the policy's announcement will count toward reaching the Runtime Fee thresholds.

caps the Runtime Fee at 4% of the game's revenues over one million dollars.
This remains a concern as worded. Is it still a huge percentage of low-income titles? And why 'installs'? We can't count installs, only sales. We can provide all the data from Steam, Google, Apple, itch, et al. for sales. And what about people buying a game and installing it multiple times - why is that supposed to incur a fee? Are we supposed to license to end user "valid only for one install. To request a new activation, please pay ..."???

Why does door-in-face comes into my mind ?
'cos it's too little too late for quite a few people. Trust is quite lost, Riccittello, who wanted to charge people for reloading a weapon, or adding packs (like Ultimate Team packs) in every EA game, has just disappeared after making the company crumble in the stock market and won lots of money after selling the companies shares when the time was right.

This remains a concern as worded. Is it still a huge percentage of low-income titles? And why 'installs'? We can't count installs, only sales. We can provide all the data from Steam, Google, Apple, itch, et al. for sales. And what about people buying a game and installing it multiple times - why is that supposed to incur a fee? Are we supposed to license to end user "valid only for one install. To request a new activation, please pay ..."???

I guess the problem (for Unity) is that many titles are now "free to play" and rely on in-game purchases to make money. Since Unity can't force you to use their payment processing system (they are not Apple after all), they take nothing from these revenues. That's where the stupid "fee on installs" scheme came from.
In the hindsight they should start with the "a percentage of self reported revenue." If a small studio with small revenue tries to cheat I'd say it's really not that big deal (though one might argue that when many do that it could add up quickly). On the other hand, if a studio with large revenue tries to cheat then I guess there are many different ways to counter that.
In a way I understand their concerns, though of course their original solutions are obviously not well thought out. I used to work for a software company which sells bundled software to smaller webcam vendors. They almost always cheat (one of them even got caught using our software after they refused to sign contract, by showcasing their product in a big trade show). My boss tried every sorts of "solutions", starting from serial numbers to even make the software phone home (not a very good idea). In the end he gave up and changed the contracts to a flat yearly fee. However, after a few years the company finally went bust.

I totally get the need to monetise. It was just horrifically underhanded. As developers, we are dependent on Unity, or whatever platform. We know we have a partnership and want it to work, so are happy to invest more. Particularly those who have been able to grow from nothing and make a lot. Given the choice of not giving Unity money and them struggling, and giving them a cut and them thriving, we're all in the latter! Going with your camera example, there's no such mutual relationship there as clients can abuse you and then get another supplier, but using alternative engines is not really viable.

But Unity sought more revenue in such an arse-about-face way. Not just the fee move, but the way they've taken a profitable company that was doing fine, blown billions on acquisitions that don't help their audience, run out of cash and are now scrabbling about to make the difference. Since floating on the stock market, it's gone completely to shit. 7000 employees achieving not a lot, Unity Engine in a wonky state of development, and management making bonkers decisions that's destabilised their entire business. Who didn't listen to their own employees telling them not to do this, nor their Trusted Partners who told them not to do this.

Problem is the money men these days want massive growth and try to get it with massive expenses. No-one wants slow, organic growth building up. Everyone wants to be an Amazon but it's not a workable business model. Massive spending, massive debt, panic-driven monetisation efforts and everyone getting fleeced and pissed off.

Alanah Pearce's latest Play, Watch, Listen episode has Unity chat with well known devs Mike Bithell and Rami Ismail. Starts about 15mins in after lots of random music chatter.

Don't think the recent 'we're listening' from Unity changes much of the discussion.

Problem is the money men these days want massive growth and try to get it with massive expenses. No-one wants slow, organic growth building up. Everyone wants to be an Amazon but it's not a workable business model. Massive spending, massive debt, panic-driven monetisation efforts and everyone getting fleeced and pissed off.

This phenomena permeates many markets even more important than gaming.

Too many investors are clowns gambing with other people's money (sometimes partly tax payer's) who are chasing trends and shortcuts and nothing else.

At the same time, too many companies dont take the way they go about going public and what investors they allow in seriously enough.

Everybody things they'll be on forbes cover next week.

New terms sound reasonable. 2.5% revenue share or installation fee thing, but you choose, so pick the lesser. Self reported too. A lot of insult and injury, some won't forgive. I'll be okay with Unity a little while longer. ;)

New terms sound reasonable. 2.5% revenue share or installation fee thing, but you choose, so pick the lesser. Self reported too. A lot of insult and injury, some won't forgive. I'll be okay with Unity a little while longer. ;)

If I were a developer, I still wouldn't touch it. The management is the same, and they've basically shown they can change their license terms from under you at any time. My understanding is that Unreal Engine has part of their license that says they cannot do that. If you start a project, you get to keep the terms you started with. So Epic can change the terms, but you're basically locked into the old one you started with if you want.

The new terms do sound good for people who are too far into development to switch.

Back