Unity and a data-oriented approach

How does UE handle this? I'm sure they get a % of sales but is it self reported by the publishers?
5% on earnings over $1 million or somesuch, but no idea how they determine that.
I can see Unity games being the most cracked from this. Not because purely if piracy, but for legitimate owners wanting to give the developers a little bit more income by preventing it from phoning home.
Pretty sure they can't include that except as an express opt-in, plus Apple for sure will not allow that as a privacy issue. Besides which, Unity are just using a 'model' and aren't actually collecting metrics. Well, that's what they had previously said. May have changed their mind since then. More than once.

Interestingly, just before this policy announcement on September 6, CEO John Riccitiello divested around 2,000 shares of the company stock, contributing to a minor surge in stock value. However, the subsequent Wednesday saw a decrease of over 7% in share value.

Riccitiello has been consistently divesting his stake in Unity over the past year, without repurchasing any shares. In the last 12 months, he has sold over 50,000 shares, a significant amount for someone who has been at the helm since 2014. This trend does not only apply to the CEO. Several top management members have reduced their shareholdings. For instance, Unity's Chairman of Growth, Tomer Bar-Zeev, disposed of 37,500 shares amounting to around $1.4 million on September 1. In a similar move, Shlomo Dovrat secured a profit of $2.5 million by offloading 68,000 shares on August 30.

5% on earnings over $1 million or somesuch, but no idea how they determine that.
Thanks, it's the "how they determine that" part I was wondering about. They find out directly from storefronts (Steam etc.)? Or are publishers required to give Epic the sales figures for commercial projects on UE? Basically if I released a UE game on Steam, how would Epic even know?

The shares sold are a drop in the bucket compared to what he owns. That said, I have a conspiracy theory. Apple is going to buy Unity and Riccitiello is crashing Unity's reputation to make the acquisition easier both from a regulatory and shareholder point of view.

the developer of the super successful game Rust is furious with this, and he mentions that they had 10 years to develop their own engine. It's worth the read.

"
Over the last 24 hours there have been many reasons pointed out why this is a bad idea. Tracking installs is messy. Piracy, reinstalls, new computers, giveaways, bad actors. There are a lot of reasons why it isn't feasible.

It makes you wonder how they could think it's a good idea. And maybe it is a good idea if you think of Unity as a mobile game engine. If you view it through that lens maybe it makes sense to them.

Maybe they forgot about PC gaming. Again
."(...)

Last edited:
Thanks, it's the "how they determine that" part I was wondering about. They find out directly from storefronts (Steam etc.)? Or are publishers required to give Epic the sales figures for commercial projects on UE? Basically if I released a UE game on Steam, how would Epic even know?
I really think it's based on the game calling home.

there is Godot, open source and it accepts several programming languages, from C++ to C#, for instance

Apparently it's even worse than the CEO. It's the entire board, meaning if they got rid of the CEO they'd probably just get another person to do the same garbage.

Yeah. Big concerns that since going public, Unity is doomed. There are the occasional appearances of Unity staff saying how they feel and what they want and it seems they're as screwed as use Unity users.

Caveats like that make considering a switch all the more problematic.
The .NET framework has started to support Android so Godot might eventually support C# on Android but that still leaves out NDA'd platforms like consoles since they only support C++ ...

Unity's IL2CPP compiler which compiles C# into C++ is vital infrastructure to enable their engine to support C# on every important platform including consoles too. Unity Technologies is also paving the way to offer even higher performance with their Burst compiler with a restricted high performance C# subset which will make an even bigger difference on mobile platforms. They badly want DOTS/ECS to be the future of mobile game development since it ensures their continued dominance and self preservation for years to come in that space ...

Unreal Engine doesn't have great support for mobile platforms outside of iOS. C++ can be overly complex for many equivalent projects in Unity. Epic Games also doesn't do themselves any favour by having a mediocre Vulkan RHI implementation and being behind the curve in terms of data oriented design ...

Talk on the Unity forums is ECS is basically dead. Unity have taken it so far but it's not becoming the core of Unity. Don't know how true that is.

On the other side, you have ECS systems like Rust that people are combining with Bevy, but it's a lot of 'in development' engines years behind Unity. Honestly there aren't any good solutions yet.

The alternative that has my eye at the moment is Flax, unknown to my until raised in the Unity forums. It's Polish, and I'm positively biased in favour of European devs who I tend to associate with good designs, solutions, and ethics. But Unity is so much more than the engine; it's the finally streamlined platform integration (build to Android from editor, all Android toolchain downloaded and managed for you) plus assets as well.

Back