Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, wasn't Naughty Dog using the same model for in-game and prerendered cutscenes in Uncharted 3?

Drake-Knows.jpg

2417300-3741363049-averm.png

With the obvious difference being facial animation. And this is their in-game model for Joel in TLOU:R

thelastofusremastered0epe0.jpg

thelastofusremasteredqvolq.jpg

thelastofusremasteredo5orl.jpg

I don't think we'll see a specific cutscenes only model for Drake that won't be there for closeups during gameplay, especially because this time cutscenes are running real-time.

Hmm, wasn't Naughty Dog using the same model for in-game and prerendered cutscenes in Uncharted 3?

Drake-Knows.jpg

2417300-3741363049-averm.png

With the obvious difference being facial animation. And this is their in-game model for Joel in TLOU:R

thelastofusremastered0epe0.jpg

thelastofusremasteredqvolq.jpg

thelastofusremasteredo5orl.jpg

I don't think we'll see a specific cutscenes only model for Drake that won't be there for closeups during gameplay.

The model was better in UC3 in cutscene, better texture.

The lightning in cutscene in most of the game is better. They add more light source on the right angle like in photography or movie. It is the same for The Order or other game for example.

I'm just noting that gameplay assets always look worse than cinematic assets. You can tell with the materials, lighting, textures, different animation, etc.. Basically Drake doesn't look as well when you are in complete control of him with the joystick and able to move the camera around him at will.
It's probably not 100% true in all cases, here you see a fully controllable Nate looking almost if not completely the same as the cutscene model in geometry, texture res, shaders and lighting quality. Only the lighting condition differs a bit.
qds9q0w.jpg

I think you're underestimating the ingame model somehow.

if they can dynamically load stuff in cutscene according to camera view.... i can dream right?

"photo mode" in W3 is really crazy nice although only accesible from console command. But a freedom like that on U4? OMG!!!

@VFX_Veteran
the combined difference that happened when changes from cutscene to gameplay do make the game looks different and easily seen which is which

I can't wait for another pannel how they can push all that. Cerny said that the untapped graphical potential of the console won't be opened before probably another year or two. So I wonder how much tools they have prepared for the upcoming titles lol. No doubt why ND team participated in the hardware. They sure know their stuff.
My dreamt action game would be a Kojima X Naughty Dog game. I would die If they had made a Remake of Metal gear Solid.
Maybe after U4 we know that TLOU2 is int he work, it has been confirmed by Nolan north. I wonder If they will do something else like Guerilla Games and maybe do something open world ? I remmeber Guerilla Games also hinting at hiring people with experience in open world games. and polease no MMO lol.

Both of those models are from cut scenes. One you have no control, the other is just small control to move forward and press a button.

The ingame model is literally the model that you use to move drake around in the world and using the right joystick to move the camera around at your leisure. It's the same for The Order (which has a much less detailed ingame model than cutscene). It really shouldn't be surprising though.

Cerny said that the untapped graphical potential of the console won't be opened before probably another year or two.
He sad that before/around PS4 launch. We are approaching 2 year anniversary of that console, and U4 will come maybe even up to 6 months after that.

Both of those models are from cut scenes. One you have no control, the other is just small control to move forward and press a button.

The ingame model is literally the model that you use to move drake around in the world and using the right joystick to move the camera around at your leisure. It's the same for The Order (which has a much less detailed ingame model than cutscene). It really shouldn't be surprising though.
We're really in 'stating the obvious' territory here.
Of course in parts where the director had complete control over the scene, you will get detail cranked up to maximum. While in playable scenes you will always need some room for overheads and always making sure the framerate doesn't dip, hence you lower details wherever possible.
It's really no different from the CGI/realtime discussions. There will always be a difference but as it stands, in UC4 the difference and transition between playable scenes and cutscenes is close to a more than acceptable level.
The talent here is in blending the two to a level where it's hard to see where the game starts and the cutscene ends.

Um, you're a bit contradicting here. How is that when you can technically control a character whether moving forward only or whatever not being considered ingame? Cutscene means you can't control anything, but as soon as when you're in control you are in game since it means you are playing the game. As for The Order, aside from custom made light sources, the rest of character model is exactly the same in both cutscene and ingame.

It's probably not 100% true in all cases, here you see a fully controllable Nate looking almost if not completely the same as the cutscene model in geometry, texture res, shaders and lighting quality. Only the lighting condition differs a bit.
qds9q0w.jpg

A QTE is not "fully controllable".

Um, you're a bit contradicting here. How is that when you can technically control a character whether moving forward only or whatever not being considered ingame? Cutscene means you can't control anything, but as soon as when you're in control you are in game since it means you are playing the game. As for The Order, aside from custom made light sources, the rest of character model is exactly the same in both cutscene and ingame.

Because you can't control the camera. That makes it real gameplay. Only when that "custom" transformation is applied to rendering the scene can you call it true gameplay IMO.

Yes in the order they are the same but on closeup only, If you move away you can see lod switching.

Well that makes sense doesn't it? Do we expect teams to focus on having only one LOD? It is inefficient and probably unrealistic. I don't really understand the argument here, seems like an argument just for the sake of arguing.

Well that makes sense doesn't it? Do we expect teams to focus on having only one LOD? It is inefficient and probably unrealistic. I don't really understand the argument here, seems like an argument just for the sake of arguing.
it's not an argument, just a tech fact in a tech forum. i personally have no problem with cutscenes looking better, i even encourage this, i love beautiful realtim cutscenes where i have to ask myself if it's really realtime, and i don't need ultra detailed characters during gameplay if i can't notice it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back