Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really not getting all the hype around this game. The destruction of set pieces looks really good and goes a long way with enhanced gameplay. But overall, the game really isn't doing anything revolutionary. Why do the physical interaction with set pieces suddenly make this game the best looking game across ALL platforms? I still think there are a number of games that impress me more visually.. The Order/Horizon/Witcher3/Batman AK being a few to name.

NX gamer sums it up quite nicely. He showed things that I didn't even notice. The attention to detail ND puts in their games is on another level.

Yea, and he's wrong on a lot of terminology. Also points things out that are really standard fair for this gen like the static global illumination probes that all dynamic objects receive. FarCry 3 had that..

i just watched a few minutes of that analysis video. Its just my bad english or he talks out of topic too much?

its like the screen showing X and he talks about A.

yups, ND is really talented in mixing lots of aspects into their games. From "game stuff" like physics and interaction, to "cinematic stuff" like camera blocking, presentation, scene composition, etc. and with the sound art (the ambiance, the SFX, the dynamic range, etc).

ND is truly unrivaled in mixing everything into a video game.

For example when the bullet of the tank do a hole into the rice bag, the bag rice volume decrease and the rice flowing on the ground and Drake reacting to this with an animation where he leans down a little to continue to be cover by the bag... The wow effect comes from all the details, added to great art and graphics, one of the best animation system of the industry and a very robust streaming system.

It seems UC4 will try open the level design of set piece like in the car driving sequence or open the level design of some of the shooting like in the PSX demo with a better IA than other UC title.

http://abload.de/img/uncharted-4-ei0skp.gif

Same here attention to detail. it may be not the best in everything but it is an impressive package.

Last edited:
Can you you be more specific? Sweeping non-specific criticisms of someone elses' analysis is unhelpful.

The main one that grabs me is the adaptive tessellation for edges of the character's faces. How does he know they are using that for the characters?

The main one that grabs me is the adaptive tessellation for edges of the character's faces. How does he know they are using that for the characters?

I need to find the source but they don't use adaptative tesselation. They test it before but they use something else.

He also called standard ragdoll physics "impressive".
I don't think there's anything standard about ragdoll physics. It's been around for years, even decades but apparently it's quite difficult to get looking right. Usually bodies float too much, have little weight to them and just don't quite react as they should based on position, inertia etc. One thing I noticed from the video is that their ragdoll is more impressive than most.

That's a good observation. Are these really 'ragdoll' physics - weightless, resistanceless floppy people - or are they simulated human beings going limp? I haven't watched the vid enough to notice. But using the term 'ragdoll' as a catch-all for killed, limp people could bely the underlying tech, and hence the use of 'impressive ragdoll' to differentiate from 'typical rubbish ragdoll' makes sense.

Absolutely, the way one body fell on another, tripping animations and what not defenitely looks better than most.

Just watched the NX gamer analysis. Super impressive attention to detail. More like obsessive attention to detail that 99% of people would never notice if it were not pointed out to them in videos like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back