Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Real time cutscene is just more directed with the convenience of telling a scene, so that designers could place the lights and camera wherever they wanted from a perfect angle thus the scene could be seen from the most ideal view with the best composition of lighting and shadowing. Since it's all real time now, they can share the same quality in lighting, shading, shadow res, assets as they are transitioning to the follow up gameplay seamlessly. You might get the impression that the un directed gameplay view looks less impressive because you simply can't have a perfectly set up view angle every step you walk all the time. It's doesn't make sense to have a couple of spot lights around your face all the time does it?

It's more than that though. You can see vast differences in shading lighting between the two. There is deformation of skin, exquisite skin shading, way more hair ribbons, self-shadowing of hair, more GI, higher res textures, etc.. it just goes on and on with the cutscenes. The gameplay looks like any other game this gen TBH.

Cutscene vs gameplay model:
u4cutscenevsgameplayjbsun.jpg

I can't see any meaningful differences, polycount and shaders seem to be 1:1

I could understand your point for RotTR for example, where they actually use completely different assets/lighting/shaders for gameplay and cutscenes (this is the exact same location, seconds after the cutscene ends), albeit that's still technically real-time. But that's not the case for U4 it seems.

Those aren't good shots at all. I'm talking about taking a screen of Nate when he's in MP mode and turning the camera around and viewing him vs. the cutscenes. There are vast differences.

Indeed but that also means I wont be properly play through it without stopping every 10 seconds.

First playthrough without photomode, I've ruined this game enough by looking at every available footage, won't make the first playthrough a photo session :yep2:
Those aren't good shots at all. I'm talking about taking a screen of Nate when he's in MP mode and turning the camera around and viewing him vs. the cutscenes. There are vast differences.

Can't do that unless you have the game, plus they are using a custom in-house lod (which i'm pretty sure runs in screen space) for pretty much everything so i'm thinking main character models the closer you are, the close to the "cutscene" model. Shading doesn't change (maybe precision but even that could be tied to viewable distance, pretty sure distant shots of Nate like this one don't feature every bit of detail on his face because that'd be a waste of resources), lighting in specific scenes does slightly (not like RotTR). At least from what we've seen in the latest footage.

Last edited:
It's more than that though. You can see vast differences in shading lighting between the two. There is deformation of skin, exquisite skin shading, way more hair ribbons, self-shadowing of hair, more GI, higher res textures, etc.. it just goes on and on with the cutscenes. The gameplay looks like any other game this gen TBH.
Can you be kind nuf to do a comparison tho? Although if you're using MP Drake's model then I'd agree with you, there's a fairly noticeable difference between the SP and MP models. Also show both scenario in similar lighting condition, camera view distance and same level of sweat or wetness and preferably both in high quality.

First playthrough without photomode, I've ruined this game enough by looking at every available footage, won't make the first playthrough a photo session :yep2:
That's what I'm planning to do too, although it's gonna be real hard. But even without PM I'll still be taking shots left and right :).

You can see a seamless transition from cutscene to gameplay here at 18:25 (one of many examples)

Edit: Oh wait, you are talking about multiplayer? Of course the model there will be downgraded, it runs at a different framerate. Heck, even the hair shader is paired back a bit in the menu model in comparison to the single player stuff.

Last edited:
Let's just wait for the game to come out so we can put this to the test. My theory is, if actual gameplay could look like the cutscenes 100% of the time, then we'd have seen it already in other games. There is a reason why most cutscenes in today's games look drastically different than gameplay -- namely, the hardware just isn't powerful enough yet.

We already have.
HwI0fvX.jpg

jebwO64.jpg

hjFwCKL.jpg

HcyXTPD.jpg

Not a common practice I concur but it all depends on how crazy insane you want your cutscene graphics to look.

That's what I'm planning to do too, although it's gonna be real hard. But even without PM I'll still be taking shots left and right :).

share button, and especially photomode really brings my annoying habbit in PC gaming

- screenshotting every shit

Let's just wait for the game to come out so we can put this to the test. My theory is, if actual gameplay could look like the cutscenes 100% of the time, then we'd have seen it already in other games. There is a reason why most cutscenes in today's games look drastically different than gameplay -- namely, the hardware just isn't powerful enough yet.

as for characters, some games already have. Like the order, but you can also see LOD transitions when you zoom in and out.
It's not a question of power, as fixed cutscene will always have the benefit of offering more ressources to make them even more impressive.
in the end if the gameplay character is less detailed it's just to add details elsewhere, on background or other characters etc..., the raw power stays the same, it's just balanced differently compared to cutscenes.

Visually MP mode will be vastly inferior to SP mode because 60 fps against 30 fps and even at 30 fps all MP visual of ND games were inferior to SP visual...

In gameplay fake SSS apepximation are often disable. On TO1886 it is the most expensive shader with hair shading .

Like all ND games Drake will probably be the same LOD than cutscene maybe the same things for friendly AI...

Last edited:
Surely we're not entering into another, completely useless, discussion about what boils down to be the very existence of LOD in games running on hardware with limited resources? My eyes must be deceiving me. This can't be true.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back