Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if that's SSS on the hair (or to be more precise, whatever ND is using for SSS approximation in the skin shader). There are a lot of other options that are better suited for this (ie. faster), for example our hair shader has a transmission attribute (however I'm not that familiar with this). Maybe we should call it simply just an advanced hair shader? :)

I'm not sure if that's SSS on the hair (or to be more precise, whatever ND is using for SSS approximation in the skin shader). There are a lot of other options that are better suited for this (ie. faster), for example our hair shader has a transmission attribute (however I'm not that familiar with this). Maybe we should call it simply just an advanced hair shader? :)

Yeah, i said previously that i don't think ND is using SSS for this but some sort of approximation/cheap trick, you can even see a similar cheaper effect in use for the multiplayer. But since we don't know yet, i just called it whatever it is trying to imitate :smile:

More examples of this in single player: Sam/Sam again/Sam and Nate/Nate and Elena

Edit: The fur seems to behave in a similar way, so is the vegetation. One example from PSX 2014 and some footage shown in TGAs (early December 2015): late 2014 -> late 2015

This is what i'm looking at in particular:
vegetationdift3bfs.jpg

And
vegetationdif2wgl7p.jpg

Check out how the plant in the tga footage is casting a shadow on the other plant and that makes it look less vibrant

And it seems to be a design principle in shading rather than "let's make hair look better".

Last edited:
The first of that series is up, be careful, more spoilers

Article on PS Blog: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/09/the-making-of-uncharted-4-watch-the-first-episode-now/

it'll be 5 episodes
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: The Evolution of a Franchise
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Growing up with Drake
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 1
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 2
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: In the End

Last edited:
it would be too much work but, it would be amazing if instead of filming themselves for their devs diaries, they whould do them with the game engine.
Or they could simply make a sort of false dev diary in which they would interview drake and other characters, that would be great.

The Making of Uncharted 4 video:

Not seen. Could be pr0n or malware. And a list of upcoming pr0n/malware masquerading as Making of Uncharted 4 videos:
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: The Evolution of a Franchise
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Growing up with Drake
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 1
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: Pushing Technical Boundaries Part 2
  • The Making of Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End: In the End

I'm unconvinced. Taking the scene without the main light and upping the gamma, there's just as much reflected light in the statues. It's very like turning on the main light increases the baked lighting 20%.

I'm still trying to figure out why in-game cutscenes are viewed the same as gameplay. The cut scenes look remarkable. The gameplay looks nowhere near the quality of the cutscenes.

Real time cutscene is just more directed with the convenience of telling a scene, so that designers could place the lights and camera wherever they wanted from a perfect angle thus the scene could be seen from the most ideal view with the best composition of lighting and shadowing. Since it's all real time now, they can share the same quality in lighting, shading, shadow res, assets as they are transitioning to the follow up gameplay seamlessly. You might get the impression that the un directed gameplay view looks less impressive because you simply can't have a perfectly set up view angle every step you walk all the time. It's doesn't make sense to have a couple of spot lights around your face all the time does it?

Wow this level of realtime animation is amazing, I see many subtle differences. Please do more comparisons if there is anything new in todays video, it is greatly appreciated! Can't wait for their technical boundaries video.

I posted some screens in this thread: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1898160/

You can see how their AA works: No AA -> After TAA is applied

The other thing i noticed but didn't post since it is something we already know was this (same scene with Nate touching his face was shown partially last E3): E3 2015 -> BTS 2016

Shading tweaked for leather, skin, metal and the new hair shader. Also, you can now see water dripping down his face, some geometry/shader/possibly ao (could be just geometry) differences in the background and some new rock textures i guess.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out why in-game cutscenes are viewed the same as gameplay. The cut scenes look remarkable. The gameplay looks nowhere near the quality of the cutscenes.

Cutscene vs gameplay model:
u4cutscenevsgameplayjbsun.jpg

I can't see any meaningful differences, polycount and shaders seem to be 1:1

I could understand your point for RotTR for example, where they actually use completely different assets/lighting/shaders for gameplay and cutscenes (this is the exact same location, seconds after the cutscene ends), albeit that's still technically real-time. But that's not the case for U4 it seems.

Last edited:
I posted some screens in this thread: https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1898160/

You can see how their AA works: No AA -> After TAA is applied

The other thing i noticed but didn't post since it is something we already know was this (same scene with Nate touching his face was shown partially last E3): E3 2015 -> BTS 2016

Shading tweaked for leather, skin, metal and the new hair shader. Also, you can now see water dripping down his face, some geometry/shader/possibly ao (could be just geometry) differences in the background and some new rock textures i guess.
Very interesting, you definitely see a noticeable improvement here:
e3acsr0.jpg

u4bts1j6l5x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back