TV tuner card for this situation?

Pozer

Regular
Thinking about adding a TV tuner card to my HTPC. My lcd TV looks horrendous with SD cable. I know lcd's don't handle SD feeds very well. But my tv does an especially bad job with them than the others I've seen. Not only are they extremely noisy but the color is even washed. SD is practically unwatchable. I think it maybe the tv's scaler is low quality.
My thought is if I can upscale the tv feed to the lcd's native res using my MCE/htpc it may improve it a bit. Looking at the ATI theater 550 card and some of the Hauppage cards. Anyone think this will work?

Buy an inline amp for your cable signal first..
I actually get a better cable picture from analog cable through my HTPC, that I do through my TV in my other room.
But I have an amp inline with the HTPC because of the long cable run.

My HTPC is running MCE2005 with an ATI 550 card and the PureVideo codec, and SDTV looks much better than running the cable directly to my 37" LCD TV. I'm actually surpsied at how good of a job it does, considering how poor the picture quailty is from my cable company. I'm already running RG6QS to every room from a Leviton 1x8 bidi cable amp, so there was nothing more I could do in the signal quailty department

When deinterlacing SDTV though HTPCs I've always found motion artifacts that I can avoid by running the interlaced signal directly to my display, but as for scaling WMC looks nice and MPC with ffdshow can look excellent if you take the time to set it up right.

I have problem making the interlace matching on the TV, so normally I'd deinterlace the video first. But maybe it's just my video card :)

Back