Toshiba 1080p set?

Tahir2

Veteran
Supporter
http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...es/lcdplasma-lcdfreeview-42wlt66?opendocument

• Visible screen size (cm): 106
  • Screen format: 16:9
  • Display technology: LCD
  • Display resolution: 1920x1080
  • High Definition ready
  • Contrast ratio: 800:1
  • Brightness (cd/m2): 550
It's an LCD TV.. seen it for sale touting the same display resolution - however is that above resolution interlaced or progressive? Surprisingly cheap too (about £1800).

I was so gonna buy a PX60 too..... please help!

Well from what I understand a lcd is never interlaced, so it is the controller not the display you should worry about. And remember to make sure it will actually function before dropping all that $ down.

tosh42wlt66.gif

From the manual.

42wlt66.jpg

42wlt66-full1080.jpg

http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/products.nsf/pages/lcdplasma-lcdfreeview-42wlt66?opendocument

And I have learnt to not trust manufacturers specs...

What is full 1080 HD Ready? Is that 1080i or 1080p (LCD's can interlace or display an interlaced image post processing.

No where in the manual do you get a reference to the actual resolution of the display and even then some 1080 sets cannot accept a 1080p signal.

Cannot see the TV yet as it is released on Monday 1st May...

So how do lcd/dlp display 1080i formats, that can display 1920x1080?
Good ones.. not the cheap ones that just turn it into 540P :???:

Very fuddy indeed. This article clears it up for me:

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2006/04/1080p_hd_questi.html#more

It's a 1920x1080 panel with a decent deinterlacing capability for 1080i broadcasts, courtesy of a Faroudja DSP. So it can't handle 1080p input, it just does 1080i-to-1080p very well.

1280x1024 max on the PC input though, so I expect that you can take a 1080p video, lose 56 lines (e.g. using ffdshow) and get a pretty glorious, albeit cropped picture.

MuFu said:
Very fuddy indeed. This article clears it up for me:

http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2006/04/1080p_hd_questi.html#more

It's a 1920x1080 panel with a decent deinterlacing capability for 1080i broadcasts, courtesy of a Faroudja DSP. So it can't handle 1080p input, it just does 1080i-to-1080p very well.

1280x1024 max on the PC input though, so I expect that you can take a 1080p video, lose 56 lines (e.g. using ffdshow) and get a pretty glorious, albeit cropped picture.

interesting enough, my 26pf5520D DVI input officially does not support any 1080p modes, but while testing, it accepts and displays 1080p24, 1080p25 and 1080p30 right. So, I come to conclusion that DVI/HDMI (up to version 1.2) does not have bandwidth to support 1080p50 and 1080p60. (I soon later on found out that HDMI 1.3 should be capable for 1080p50/60.)

Last edited:
Nice link Mufu...

In the same way that "down conversion" happens, up-conversion also occurs, so if a 1080 panel is receiving a 720p image, the signal will be "oversampled" to fit the big screen resolution has to occupy - again all completed by very complex algorithm sequences.
What the heck does oversampled mean exactly in this context?
If it means the TV will have a fixed resolution and the content will be upscaled then great, but if it means there is a change of resolution in the panel then not so great.

The new debate is 720p media on a 1080 panel .... I need to experiment on my 20.1" 1050 LCD screen methinks.

One thing is confirmed, there will be no support for 1080p via HDMI officially so Blu-ray or HDDVD content at 1080p will not play on the above screen. (I think anyway).

Actually it will probably work like Nappe1's TV, where 1080p isn't listed in the specs but 1080p at 30hz and under works and that is more than enough for 24fps films anyway.

And as for your previous question, like all LCDs it it is a fixed pixel display so changing the resolution of the display is physically impossible; the 720p video just gets converted to 1080p video through upsampling so that it can be displayed across the full screen.

kyleb said:
And as for your previous question, like all LCDs it it is a fixed pixel display so changing the resolution of the display is physically impossible; the 720p video just gets converted to 1080p video through upsampling so that it can be displayed across the full screen.

I can understand upsampling or even upscaling but "oversampling" threw me.

The only thing about HDMI is that the spec will be locked and unless it got the correct response (i.e. I am only HDMI 1.1 and you are HDMI 1.3, please feed me in 720p) it may decide to play only at 720p. Luckily there is 1080p material out already with a HDDVD player so it won't be long before this is tested. In these circumstances it really is best to rely on user testing.

Looks like my plans to upgrade my TV have been put on hold for a 2nd time....gonna have to wait a few more weeks for more info.

I really would have been gutted if I bought the PX60 and realised that this LCD just came out without having a look at it.

Nappe1 said:
interesting enough, my 26pf5520D DVI input officially does not support any 1080p modes, but while testing, it accepts and displays 1080p24, 1080p25 and 1080p30 right. So, I come to conclusion that DVI/HDMI (up to version 1.2) does not have bandwidth to support 1080p50 and 1080p60. (I soon later on found out that HDMI 1.3 should be capable for 1080p50/60.)

That's only a 720p-ish panel though, right? Isn't the source downscaling first?

Nah, he is saying that the source is outputing 1080p signals and at up to 30hz his display accepts those signals. Being a 768p display it clearly does have to downsample the image to 1366x768, but that has no berring on it's ablity accept source signals up to 1080p/30.

MuFu said:
That's only a 720p-ish panel though, right? Isn't the source downscaling first?
no, PC with Powerstrip does not downscale. :)
the reason I was studying 1080 modes, was the fact that my 2600XP was not fast enough to playing 1080i samples with proper de-interlacer and downscaler, so I went to look for if I could make the tv make these things. I eventually got 1080i working so that TV did the all de-interlacing and scaling and it was better than using "rip off" (540p) scaling in PC side. Still, soon I got Athlon64 X2 and didn't set up the modes with powerstrip anymore. Now I am using 1366x768 (with infamous 1368x768 with active area of 1366x768 trick. after I got this mode working I noticed how many other LCD TVs didn't support this trick, because they only accepted EICTA HD signals on HDMI/DVI connector. Still, it's a bit of pain in the ass (2-4 hours of hand tuning.) to set this mode back up and working after every driver update, but so far it has been worth of the trouble. you just can't beat the sharpness of native resolution. )

Right, sorry - I was actually a little apprehensive to ask since I figured that was the case and you obviously know what you are talking about!

you just can't beat the sharpness of native resolution

Indeed. I am amazed at how many LCD TVs still have real issues with PC output (or at least what people would presume to be catered for by a feature labelled "PC Input").

Last edited by a moderator:
wishiknew said:
Why guess on 1080P60 when u can go for gold. Sony Bravia X series.

Well, for starters they're not out yet, and by the time they do arrive they'll be the best part of £1k more than the Toshiba (or the Sony V, for that matter).

MuFu said:
Well, for starters they're not out yet, and by the time they do arrive they'll be the best part of £1k more than the Toshiba (or the Sony V, for that matter).

They have been out almost half a year now. Of course only on home turf.

I'll ask Dave if he will let me borrow his...

Seriously though, I am going into a few stores on Bank Holiday Monday to see if they have the unit [Toshiba 42WLT66] on display.

Back