Top Gear - Biggest Non-commercial Rocket launch in Europe

Hi everyone, just been googling and came across your forum :D - Hello!

I had a conversation today with a guy called Rex Garrod, of Robot Wars fame, and apparently he also works in special effects. He told me that this launch was a fake, and that they somehow filmed a small model instead of the real one they were seen building on tv.

Unfortunately he then had to go, so I didn't get to ask him how he knew, or why they did it.

Now, I'm not usually into conspiracy theories, but there were a few things I thought were strange when I watched the programme. Surely they would have to have clearance from the government, or some official body before attempting this??

What do you guys think, could there be anything in this?!

Surely they would have to have clearance from the government, or some official body before attempting this??
IIRC, it was on a military firing range and hence would only need permission from, say, the army. Top Gear have done this sort of thing with the army before so I don't see the problem.

I had a conversation today with a guy called Rex Garrod, of Robot Wars fame, and apparently he also works in special effects. He told me that this launch was a fake, and that they somehow filmed a small model instead of the real one they were seen building on tv.

Unfortunately he then had to go, so I didn't get to ask him how he knew, or why they did it.

Now, I'm not usually into conspiracy theories, but there were a few things I thought were strange when I watched the programme. Surely they would have to have clearance from the government, or some official body before attempting this??

I dont think its a fake. If you watch at those old(er) movies you can always easily spot if a model is used but in this the smoke and mass etc all looked pretty real to me. Also the in flight shots looked real in proportions.

I've read interviews with guests and collaborators on Top Gear saying that they're about as truthful as reality TV when it comes to their 'projects'. The basic idea and attempted execution of the stunts are 'real', but they have no qualms about fudging the presentation and/or eventual outcome for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

If this is a fake then someones gone to huge extents to construct a backstory, i.e. forum posts from the engineers, web pages for the rocket suppliers in the states etc. I'm sure a fair amount of 'reconstruction' took place in the editing suite, especially the crash which did appear augmented
- think Hollywood car rolling down hill and exploding :)

I've decided that it doesn't matter, I'm just gonna enjoy the hell out of Top Gear and take it for what it is. :)

Just starting season 2 now, I've done season 1 & 9 so far. (Caught up and now I'm going back to watch 'em all. :) )

Funny thing? My wife is in love with the show too.

Jeremy Clarkson is a bit of a dick, but he's witty so it evens out. :D

I've decided that it doesn't matter, I'm just gonna enjoy the hell out of Top Gear and take it for what it is. :)

Just starting season 2 now, I've done season 1 & 9 so far. (Caught up and now I'm going back to watch 'em all. :) )

Funny thing? My wife is in love with the show too.

Just wait until you see the Special Olympic Episode from last year when they were at Lillehammer in Norway :)

But yeah, Top Gear is hilarious :)

If this is a fake then someones gone to huge extents to construct a backstory, i.e. forum posts from the engineers, web pages for the rocket suppliers in the states etc. I'm sure a fair amount of 'reconstruction' took place in the editing suite, especially the crash which did appear augmented
- think Hollywood car rolling down hill and exploding :)
I think it's pretty hard to fake a robin reliant launching off the ground. Sure Nasa managed it when they told us they landed on the moon (;)), but Top Gear don't have that kind of money.

Evening all; just found this thread while looking for something else and thought it worth responding to...

Assuming the above quote is true then Rex Garrod (whoever he is - certainly he was not involved in this build) is talking out of his arse; there were no models involved - no strings - no CGI - just a lot of blood, sweat, cigarettes, tears, swearing AND paperwork from the CAA and related bodies.

There was some minor "adjustments" by the BBC - the Robin you see at the start is not actually the one they flew for example - but essentially what you saw on TV was what flew at the army range;

http://www.5280.org.uk/robin.mp4

Back