Top Gear - Biggest Non-commercial Rocket launch in Europe

pocketmoon66

Newcomer
Using a Robin Reliant ...

large.jpg

And it started all so well...

large.jpg

But being a British endevour it all went a bit pear shaped. I leave it to someone else to find a pic of the crater :)

I never imagined that they would go to such a huge scale. I thought that they would put some small rockets in the back of the car but they really made a freaking rocket. This episode is one of the coolest things i have seen in my life.

A stunning achievement! Liftoff & booster separation was superb! Unfortunate that main fuel tank separation from orbiter failed. What was the budget!!??

Probably the first time a Reliant Robin has stuck to anything (they certainly don't stick to the road like that).

Very very awesome. If within reason I would love to see a second go at that. Besides the main tank it would very well. Awesome end though!

Top Gear are really pulling out all the stops. I bet they will receive awards for at least the last two episodes. :D

What a bunch of loons. :)

Top Gear are really pulling out all the stops. I bet they will receive awards for at least the last two episodes. :D

What a bunch of loons. :)

I love Top Gear just for the sake of humor, sure it has the added coolness of cars but the crew there just does such a great job with the comedy and presentation. Great show, I wish I watched more of it.

I have to say I laughed continuously from the moment of liftoff (I could not believe it just didn't explode into a million pieces at the moment of ignition!) until well after it cratered!

I haven't laughed so much since they were chased out of Alabama!

Jawed

Wow that was pretty incredible and funny too! :LOL: Too bad the separation failed. I wonder if they should've added a backup separation mechanism.

I have to say I laughed continuously from the moment of liftoff (I could not believe it just didn't explode into a million pieces at the moment of ignition!) until well after it cratered!

I haven't laughed so much since they were chased out of Alabama!

Jawed

Yes me too, I was really suprised when the thing actually took off. If you look at hammonds and may's face they also looked suprised it didnt just blow up.

Wow that was pretty incredible and funny too! :LOL: Too bad the separation failed. I wonder if they should've added a backup separation mechanism.

I was thinking why not have each coupling with two explosive bolts - you only need one to go off!

The most disappointed guy was the model plane enthusiast. From the footage it looks like he was desperately trying to pilot the robin reliant into land still strapped to the fuel tank :)

There is one thing that pisses me off about Top Gear. Clarkson has taken to saying: "Car x has 300 torques". WTF does this mean? 300Nm or 300lb-ft of torque?

There is one thing that pisses me off about Top Gear. Clarkson has taken to saying: "Car x has 300 torques". WTF does this mean? 300Nm or 300lb-ft of torque?

I suppose its along the same lines as saying you've got 250 horses under the hood ;)

But, yeh, that did annoy me!

I just finished the episode and

:oops:

WOW! That was stunning!. I wonder how much it costed to make such a huge operation, that was clearly the best thing I have ever seen in Top Gear.

WOW!

I didn't expect it to take off either, I half expected it was only a mock-up they would blow to pieces.

Great going!

Back