Top 100 Selling Games Last 12 Months (All Platforms)

Crysis pushed more than 1mln boxes, that's a fact.
And considering that the last place in ranking is 460,000 it means that Crysis sold at least 600,000 in Eastern Europe, do I need to say more?

Well we know for a fact that crysis didn't sell very much at all in the US (its first month NPD was 86,633). So if it did sell a million, they must have come from somewhere else. Eastern Europe and Asia seems as good a guess as any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they reveal their sources and methodology, it's all just guess work on our part. It could be either, neither or even both. Their analysis is questionable anyway. The numbers may be more suitable for discussing consumer taste in general (since they are not normalized or comparison purposes).

more like discussing NPD real numbers sold to consumers VS reported corporate, shipped to retailers numbers.

Discussing Edge's Guesstimates is nothing like discussing NPD. They may have a good source for the US (npd) but they don't for Europe.

ive never played any COD games (ww2 FPS dont appeal), but it must be doing something right as its become the number one FPS franchise without being marketed as strongly as some of the competition

Selling to people that don't know any better through a massive marketing campaign. Much better FPSs out there and much better multiplayer as well.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

Selling to people that don't know any better through a massive marketing campaign. Much better FPSs out there and much better multiplayer as well.

COD4 is the best "cinematic experience" out there. You don't get to sell 9 million by being a good FPS alone.

Crysis pushed more than 1mln boxes, that's a fact.
And considering that the last place in ranking is 460,000 it means that Crysis sold at least 600,000 in Eastern Europe, do I need to say more?

You dont "know for a fact" what Crysis sold anyway. Shipped often seems a lot higher than sold. We know Crysis sold a paltry 86k via NPD it's first month.

Discussing Edge's Guesstimates is nothing like discussing NPD. They may have a good source for the US (npd) but they don't for Europe.

You dont know they dont for Europe either.

There was speculation on GAF that they might well have GFK source through MCV or something like that.

I wonder where that leaves us.
There was speculation on GAF that they might well have GFK source through MCV or something like that.
I heard the something similar for vgchartz. :|
Speculation is free apparently.
Enough with my free advertising of that site,

What we know is there is zero public data regarding to sold (to customer) numbers for PAL.
Clearly trackers don't let customers to release those numbers, and if publishers somehow have independent and better estimates for sales, they choose not to reveal anything.

Why would EDGE get a different response, and for not one but 100 games? Plus they clearly say they also used public data, which is where exactly?

Of course, in the end they may be accurate within 10%, by luck or MI6, but why would anyone take those numbers as official? Burden of credibility and proof is not on deepbrown you know.

I expect they do have GFK - though it says in their own footnote that they've had to guestimate. Question - why don't they list all their sources?

ah ha! :LOL:

we finally admit that you're all GUESSing with the EU numbers and all of this "PS3 is winning over there" is just as likely to be bullocks. :D ;)

Well, i've never said that anyway. And i certainly wouldn't say over "there" anyway, I'd say over "here" :) lol But the observation of a trend from official numbers - ie. those given in France etc. is very different to reporting actual concrete numbers for particular titles.

Germany top 1, for how many weeks?
UK - 2nd in top.
Spain - 2nd.
Seems Western Europe to me.

What does 2nd in spain for a week mean? 5000 units maybe? Well that must have pushed it over a million...

Where something appeared on a chart doesn't tell you how many units a game sold. It just tells you it sold relatively well for a time in that region.

And crysis was at #11 in the UK its first week, not number 2. It did not chart the following week at all in the UK.

And in Germany it was only #1 the week it released, after that CoD4 and NFS were ahead of it.

The really good guess: these numbers are fictional.

seems some of your argument is what is fictional.

Aaron Spink
speaking for myself inc.

It's a pretty massive stretch to say a game sold 8 million copies, when it consistently received fantastic reviews from critics and users, because it was massively marketed to people that didn't know any better.

You don't have to like it, but it's pretty elitist to suggest all those other people that do are just gullible idiots being force-fed mediocrity.

I don't get it, you seriously mean that East Europe buys games? PC games? Levels of piracy? Doesn't ring a bell?
You seriously mean that EA reports 1mln sold and half of it sits in stores?

I'm not saying it didn't sell 1m (although it wouldn't shock me if EA was talking shipped WW), but if it did, it didn't do most of it in NA and Western Europe judging by the numbers we have available in those regions.

I'm certain the numbers in the list aren't 100% accurate, but they aren't fantasy land either.

Really? Reviews disagree with you. You're in the minority. I guess you think halo 3 is better? :eek:

God no, Halo 3 wasn't that good either. The primary issue is that both Halo 3 nor CoD 4 offered anything that hadn't already been done and both were FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR too short. It wasn't like they did what had been done before better either.

I don't know, they were just meh.

It's a pretty massive stretch to say a game sold 8 million copies, when it consistently received fantastic reviews from critics and users, because it was massively marketed to people that didn't know any better.

You don't have to like it, but it's pretty elitist to suggest all those other people that do are just gullible idiots being force-fed mediocrity.

We're talking about the gaming press here, not exactly known for the journalistic integrity.

Look, it just wasn't that great of a game, pretty much a rehash, nothing unique about it, and so short to be totally forgettable.

Back