This proves that when programmed properly the Sega Saturn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... I don't exactly get that from this video.

What did you see here that couldn't be done on PSX ? Polygons, texturing, animation... I think in all these respects, the old gray box could have one-upped the footage shown in this video.

Eh, well sega certainly put a lot of work into shenmue, but who's to say if they put that work in a psx version it wouldn't look just as good or better.

And even still I'm not really seeing anything that destroys the psx...maybe the faces, but just about everything else looks well inferior to what was seen in psx games.

Well...does it matter now...even Shenmue with so called Playstation-destroying graphics could not have saved Saturn.

sriously, though. i'm a huge sega fan, and have a pretty immpressive number of saturn games both domestic and import. some games have a much higher level of graphics quality than psx games, but really... does it really matter? if i bothered to look hard enough i could dig up some 3do or jaguar games that look better than similar games on either the psx or saturn, but in reality it doesn't matter. not only is it ancient history, it's artistic vision and direction that makes games stand out, not technical merits. any game on the saturn was technicly impressive if you look at the amount of work developers needed to put into a project to get comparable results to what they were achieving on psx.

otoh, take a cool at tobal #2 on psx. let me first state that i think tobal is rubbish for a game, but t#2's graphics are astounding. better looking than anything on the saturn in a technical way. it just goes to show, if you program properly the psx was more powerfull than the ss. see how easy and fun this is?

the Sega Saturn has many technical advantages over PS1, yes. but I would disagree with someone saying that Saturn was far, far more powerful than PS1. the PS1 has quite a few advantages over Saturn and vice versa.

a console of the same generation as PS1 that i would concider to be far, far more powerful, would be the 3DO M2, not Saturn.

M2 wasn't really the same generation, and anyway it was never released so...

Errrmmm Why is there another thread about Shenmue on Saturn, after it has been debated to death when the last generation was still interesting?

london-boy said:
M2 wasn't really the same generation, and anyway it was never released so...

Errrmmm Why is there another thread about Shenmue on Saturn, after it has been debated to death when the last generation was still interesting?

And when this footage was still 'new'. ;)

new Xmas tradition "eternal shenmue/saturn homily"

I was always more impressed with Virtua Cop 2 as a showcase for the Saturm. It's a complete game running at a good frame rate - rather than a fixed animation playback running between 5fps and 20fps

Saturn was meant to be THE 2D system. And it was excellent at that. Can we just leave it to rest now? It's 2 generations of dead consoles away afterall!

Its sega ..... How i miss thier quality games. Hopefully one day they will release a new system and bring balance back to the land .

2 systems of crappy games and 2 systems of quality games .

jvd said:
london-boy said:
jvd said:
2 systems of crappy games and 2 systems of quality games .

Which ones do you mean?
Please u know me well enough to know which two i think would have quality games 8)

... No i mean, there were 2 systems with crappy games and 2 with good ones? or there will be?

Oh u mean there would be Revolution and the new Sega system with good games and, well, we know the rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back