Thinking of trading in the 350Z...

ninelven said:
Considered a BMW 3 series?
Those don't have backseats, do they?

BTW- jumped down to the less ricey Impreza:

steelgraymetallic.jpg

The above decked out with all the options would be $29,430.

(And it would have different wheels, pictured below)

B3110FE000.jpg

I could live with that car pretty easy. :)

ninelven said:
Well they have 4 doors...

The Mazda is a stick btw if that matters.
Then I'll look up the beemer too.

Stick matters, we want a manual transmission....both of us prefer it. :)

EDITED BITS: The BMW 3 325xi might just be do-able, but we'd have to find a deal and really like it.

I have a feeling it'll option itself out of our price range once I start adding features though. :(

Well, since you both want a manual I would definately give the Mazda a try. The Subarus are very nice as well, but I personally find them to be rather ugly. Of course, the 3 series always wins best "in class", but really at +3-6k base msrp it damn well should.

DEFINITELY drive a bimmer. I have never driven a car that felt like a bimmer, some days i really wish I had a 330i rather than a C320 (but then I remind myself that a benz is slightly higher status and am happy again with my choice). Not sure if you would really need that many options, either...

I'm not into BMWs much, and it's out of our price range so a no-go.

Checking out the Mazda now, it's interesting! Thanks for the recomendation. :)

Somebody said Skoda?

Why do skodas have a rear wash wipe ?
...To remove the flies that crash into them.

How do you double the value of a skoda?
Chuck a penny into it.

There is a big competition at my local pub the first prize is a sKoda,
...the second prize is two skodas !

How do you double the value of a Skoda ?
Fill the tank !
What do you call a Skoda with a sun roof ?
A skip!

Why does a Skoda have a double rear window heater ?
To keep everyones hands warm when they are pushing it !

What's the difference between getting out of a Skoda and getting out of a sheep?
You don't get so embarrassed if someone sees you getting out of a sheep.

What do you call a skoda driver who say's he has a speeding ticket ?
A Dreamer.

Whats the difference between a Jehova Witness and a Skoda?
You can shut the door on a Jehova Witness!

You see the ads that say 'What's behind the new skoda?'
It's not really Volkswagen, it's 'People pushing it'!

What do you call a skoda in the winter?
A freezer.

What dp you call a Skoda Cabriolet ?
A Skip.

What do you call a brand new skip?
A Skoda !

What do you call a skoda with twin exhaust pipes?
A wheelbarrow.

What do you call a Skoda at the the top of a hill ?
A miracle.

What is the difference between a Skoda and the flu ?
You can get rid of the flu !

What happens if you apply rust remover to a Skoda ?
It dissappears!

How do you overtake a Skoda ?
Run !

Why are Skoda drivers like corned beef ?
They both come in tin cans !

Blitzkrieg said:
I still think Subaru is best bet. The only hiccup with subies is the gearboxes, otherwise normally really good.
Mitsubishi is only so so quality. GM = Shite quality to the nth degree. Since you want to seat 4 I would probably pass on the Skyline, the back seats are normally a bit cramped, and the newer models use the same engine as the Primera which is a bit lame.
Mazda is bringing out a really really nice 4wd souped up Mazda6. It should be good, Jeremy Clarkson loved the Mazda6 so this should only be better.
Toyota Celicas are good cars as well, but I am not sure how much room they have in the back. You could also go for a Mazda RX8 :)

Mazda6 is a very nice car in its class, definitely worth a test. Celicas don't offer enough space, it's rather for two people and a few sixpacks :)

digitalwanderer said:
I'm not into BMWs much,
Besides, if snow is the reason you'd sell your other car, I might point out that whenever it snows here I always seem to notice I high proportion of the cars that are stuck are BMWs. <shrug>

Snyder said:
Ok, I understand your reasoning, I've just never seen it that big of an issue. One thing is true - Audi/VW sometimes seem to produce simply too many different cars for the different existing market segments, trying to cover the market with two brands where often one is enough, which leads to several of them seeming to be redundant to me (as you said especially the A3, I agree with you on that one - using the same platform for different cars is one thing, but failing to differentiate them except for a few details seems stupid to me).

Well look at what Mercedes did - producing countless cars for all segments _and_ differentiating them through many unique parts, engines, gearboxes etc. And what's the result? Huge losses, quality issues, 8500 people being pushed to resign. VW doesn't have too many models, but really bad looking, uninteresting cars which are much more expensive than the competition (Astra, Focus, Corolla, Peugeot307, Mazda3 etc.) and offer less features. Also, they tried to enter the premium market with the Phaeton, which was a completely stupid idea. That car has the flair of a dead log, awful design and noone buys it. And it still costs them many, many millions.

But that's about to get better a bit. Try googling for world engine, for example.

digitalwanderer said:
EDITED BITS: The BMW 3 325xi might just be do-able, but we'd have to find a deal and really like it.

I have a feeling it'll option itself out of our price range once I start adding features though. :(

What features do you want to add except a good stereo and maybe a phone? It's got everything you'll ever need. And it's also got the best compromise between sporty and comfortable driving EVER. A real treat, makes the Z look VERY old.

EDIT: and you'll save lots of money on gasoline over the next few years as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon F said:
Besides, if snow is the reason you'd sell your other car, I might point out that whenever it snows here I always seem to notice I high proportion of the cars that are stuck are BMWs. <shrug>

That's because of the RWD, it's worse in the snow, especially if the engine's not of the underpowered kind. But digi looks for AWD anyway.

_xxx_ said:
That's because of the RWD,
Yes I'm well aware of that. I just used to think it was funny when cold weather coincided with the TV adverts saying the BMW has "near perfect 50:50 weight distribution". A colleague from a previous job always used to drive his with a huge bag of sand in the boot :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
_xxx_ said:
Well look at what Mercedes did - producing countless cars for all segments _and_ differentiating them through many unique parts, engines, gearboxes etc. And what's the result? Huge losses, quality issues, 8500 people being pushed to resign. VW doesn't have too many models, but really bad looking, uninteresting cars which are much more expensive than the competition (Astra, Focus, Corolla, Peugeot307, Mazda3 etc.) and offer less features.

True, that (well, except for the "bad looking" part - call me boring, but I like the laid back design :) ),
but it's gotten far better, esp. with the Fox, Golf Plus and the new Passat (which I found surprisingly cheap compared to the competition!).

Also, they tried to enter the premium market with the Phaeton, which was a completely stupid idea. That car has the flair of a dead log, awful design and noone buys it. And it still costs them many, many millions.

I never understood the Phaeton - VW could be glad that it's such a flop, because they would only have cannibalized the typical Audi segment with it. I like the car (pure understatement! ;) ), but for me it makes no sense as a VW.
The W12 Coupe is the same (ok, not exactly, it hasn't been released yet and probably never will)...would be a great racer for the Audi brand, but makes no sense IMO as a VW branded car.

Digi, I can attest that if you drive the STi or the regular WRX you will love it, but it screams give me a ticket, so does your Z though. The legacy looks much more sedate, but will still be pretty darn fast. I am glad to hear you like manuals. The original pree 2004 suby;s had a funny bit with their transmission in that you had to pretty much stop to get it in first, and reverse was a pain b/c they did not use a "dual cone" arrangement or some such crap but they changed that afterwards. Since you are getting a new one it doesn't matter I guess.

Back