Think B3D will break it's user record today?

With the Hardware tech industry being pretty slow lately I was assuming that the highly anticipated(should get out my thesaurus for a better word than highly :)) release of the nv40 would have a big effect on readership of a 3D site like B3D. I was wondering how much the site traffic had increased in the build up? I see the number of users online record was broken - how about readers a day or similar?. Any way to produce a nice graph or would that be exposing too much information ie for advertising etc or too much hassle? There was a pretty big buzz on a lot of the tech sites I visit including the B3D forums...Actually there was probably more of a buzz on the B3D forum pages :) It's interesting to me as I'm sure I saw alot of rumour in threads here spread around on other sites and linked too, either directly or the site was mentioned indirectly, meaning a lot of tech junkies (like me) would have come here.

wow everyone in this thread has a factor of 10 or more posts than me....Disclaimer: :arrow: I have been reading B3D since before the Rev closed The Pulpit :( adding it to my favs when he started writing here.

Would it be possible to make a newbie forum, and make people maybe wait 7 days and like maybe 20-30 posts before they can post in the advanced tech fourm?

I guess there are some downsides too though. You wouldn't be able to get some of the anonymous or high profile people posting in the advanced forum unless they already had an active account here. That would limit some of the content to the newbie forum.

Perhaps instead of "advanced tech" forum, there simply was a "veterns" forum? You could make the same limitations on it, but it would have a bit of a different conatation than a restricted "advanced tech" forum.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
Would it be possible to make a newbie forum, and make people maybe wait 7 days and like maybe 20-30 posts before they can post in the advanced tech fourm?

I guess there are some downsides too though. You wouldn't be able to get some of the anonymous or high profile people posting in the advanced forum unless they already had an active account here. That would limit some of the content to the newbie forum.

Perhaps instead of "advanced tech" forum, there simply was a "veterns" forum? You could make the same limitations on it, but it would have a bit of a different conatation than a restricted "advanced tech" forum.

Nite_Hawk
I don't see this as a really great solution...if you limit people with X amount of posts you are going to weed out some people that have been around here for a while and have decided to de-lurk or that are smart. Also if you limit by posts you would see people start posting like mad in other parts of the forum till they have enough posrts to participate in that forum too. The way I see it the only real way to solve the problem is some really heavy handed moderation for the 3D Technology & Hardware Forum. This would ensure that posts don't go off topic, cover subjects that were already discussed, or incite flames. Granted this place hasn't reached the level of nVnews or Rage3D recently but it has become much much more difficult to find the good posts by knowledgeable people that attracted me to this place originally. Just lock a post when it goes downhill or send PMs to people warning them about topics they posted. Either way something needs to be done as the S/N ratio in that part of the forum has gone through the roof since right before the 6800 Ultra launched. :(

Things will settle down eventually. It's not the first, or last time the single to noise ratio will go to hell. I still remember back on ye olde orange Beyond3D forums the amount of bickering that went on before and soon after 3dfx and Nvidia annoucned and released their cards.

Things will settle down eventually. It's not the first, or last time the single to noise ratio will go to hell. I still remember back on ye olde orange Beyond3D forums the amount of bickering that went on before and soon after 3dfx and Nvidia annoucned and released their cards.

yeah, and back then I remember the forum be way more, leet! It's not the size of the population, it's the amount of control each individual exercises to stop contributing noise.

Back