The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

Although the Witcher 3 was on my radar I was only really interested in it as a stepping stone to Bethesda's next epic adventure but what with the 4 minute trailer from last week and the 37 minute gameplay video released last year, I've gone from 1 to hype factor 11 in just a few days. Although I'd rather play something like this in first person, this game look utterly brilliant.

For the style of combat they are going for (fluid, highly acrobatic and responsive melee), I don't think a first person perspective would work. Imagine Demons/Dark souls or Bloodborne with a first person perspective. It wouldn't work.

One promising thing I noticed is that they mentioned in a Q and A that Demons/Dark souls combat was part of their inspiration for Witcher 3. Obviously they aren't going to just copy it and it's likely to be more fluid and less heavy. But I'm quite interested in their take on a Souls influenced combat system. I already notice that there appears to be more movement, dodging and positioning required than in previous Witcher games combined with having to plan (think 2 steps ahead) your attacks against harder monsters. Witcher 2 already went down that path a little, but Witcher 3 seems to extend that quite significantly.

Regards,
SB

But you do know that the point is finding the shortcuts, or alternatively running past the enemies to get where you need to go, if you don't want to fight. Right?
Yeah still could have a lantern just outside of the boss entrance, I don't see why it's unreasonable to include it.
Hey, once u know where the boss is just run for it ! WHen I actually gofor killing a boss, I just run past everything and straight to the fog most of the time! Why waste time and resources midway. And anyways I want the least amount of souls on me when I go for a boss.

as for the BSB, you haven't tried the Pungent Beast cocktail yet? If nothing, ring the beckoning bell near the Lamp and wait for someone to drop in, then get the boss. You saw the boss didn't last for even a minute in co-op.
I sold those cocktails way earlier since I didn't know what to do with them haha, I guess I'll ring the bell at some stage even though I very much like the satisfaction of defeating it myself.

Sold :runaway: ?!?! Heresy !!!!! Why would u sell something without trying it.
You know what: Dodge ! I think u r just afraid of it because u r not dodging. I dodge so much that my niece literally says that I don't really have to half of the time, but then that's the trick: dodge, sidestep.... Game becomes easy.

You're right I'm just afraid to engage hits, I dodged a lot too but either the damn camera got in the way or got stuck around some obstacles:(, the poison is also a bitch since I died many times due to HP going down without me noticing. But I think I'm off tracking here now:).

iPsb.jpg

Thanks to gaffer misho8723: resizable HUD elements on consoles!?! What is this madness. I'm certain I've also read the devs state the HUD will be fairly customisable so this bodes well.

Five loooooong weeks before this is out. Meh. :yep2:

customization on console? O_O

i wonder what else they allow to be customized. Graphic/frame-rate? 30 mode / 60 mode :D

As a Witcher n00b I found this Witcher 3 FAQ particularly helpful on what to expect. This is a long list of Game Pressure (who!?!) reader questions that the devs answered. Including important ones like can you steel all the plates like in Skyrim :LOL:

Q: Will the saved games store bitmap previews just like Witcher 2? *cough*

Q: Will there be more auto-saves? >_>

Q: Will the saved games store bitmap previews just like Witcher 2? *cough*
I'd dearly love a note field for game saves for RPGs. Sometimes I return to a game and can't remember what the hell I have done and was intending to do - particularly on the nth replay.

I'd dearly love a note field for game saves for RPGs. Sometimes I return to a game and can't remember what the hell I have done and was intending to do - particularly on the nth replay.
"Going to bang ____"

"Going to bang ____"

Not in Fallout 3, New Vegas or Skyrim. At least not as far as I can remember!

Recent brief interview (just under 7 mins) with Damien Monnier, Senior Game Designer.

I took two things away from this: a) Polish folk history is freaking terrifying and b) he's playing the game on PlayStation 4, Microsoft-platform bitches. Ok, ok.. only because his PC died and he doesn't own a One. :yep2:

Just give us the common (or at least used to be common before we started getting all the damn console ports) PC method of naming your saves whatever you want when you save your game. Thank god some PC games (usually RTS) still do this. To all the others that don't? F-U consoles. :p Oh, and Lazy Devs! :D

Regards,
SB

As a Witcher n00b I found this Witcher 3 FAQ particularly helpful on what to expect. This is a long list of Game Pressure (who!?!) reader questions that the devs answered. Including important ones like can you steel all the plates like in Skyrim :LOL:

Finally got to look at it.

Is the experience level of monsters scaled up to the player’s?

No. In this regard, the third installment of The Witcher is more reminiscent of Gothic than ofSkyrim. In the prologue, when you’re on the first experience level, you have to be really careful about where you wander off to. It is noteworthy, though, that especially tough enemies are properly marked (you can learn more about this matter in Gameplay mechanics section).

Thank freaking god! I can't wait to wander into an area I have no business being in and either getting my arse handed to me or having to run away screaming like a little girl. If they had don't auto-leveling enemies everywhere I'd have blown a gasket. Worst thing ever next to...

Is there automatic health regeneration in the game?
There is no automatic health regeneration. There are, however, abilities in the character development tree that impact speed of health recovery on eating. Also, meditation replenishes health.

Yes! Thank you for not bowing down to the conventions of the previous decade. Regenerating health has to be the absolute worst thing ever introduced to gaming...ever. Well, that and QTE's. But they got rid of the QTE's from Witcher 1 a long time ago (even patched it out of Witcher 1, IIRC).

Lots of good information there.

Regards,
SB

I'm now an ever-so-slightly-less Witcher n00b thanks to having caught up on the Witcher and the Witcher 2 in these 15 minute game retrospectives by Elder-Geek.com. They obviously contain spoilers to those game's core stories so only view them if you won't be playing the first two games.

Witcher Retrospective

Witcher 2 Retrospective

I'm now an ever-so-slightly-less Witcher n00b thanks to having caught up on the Witcher and the Witcher 2 in these 15 minute game retrospectives by Elder-Geek.com. They obviously contain spoilers to those game's core stories so only view them if you won't be playing the first two games.

Witcher Retrospective

Witcher 2 Retrospective

I have the first one on the PC -got it at GoG.com- and the second one on the PC and my X360, but I haven't completed TW2, so I shall only take a look at The Witcher 1's video. It was a very fun game to play on the PC -I have memories of wintry nights playing it with a USB mouse on my laptop-, and from the little I played of TW2, I liked the original more than the sequel.

Anyways..., a few 4k captures from The Witcher 3.

34pc3CrvRw-c.png

wNu8dk1ARPiG.png

Y8iXrDxoR4aV.png

BkAb1QSzRf2I.png

Last edited:
Well you could certainly come up with some interesting points about Geralt and his potions and stuff.

I have the first one on the PC -got it at GoG.com- and the second one on the PC and my X360, but I haven't completed TW2, so I shall only take a look at The Witcher 1's video. It was a very fun game to play on the PC -I have memories of wintry nights playing it with a USB mouse on my laptop-, and from the little I played of TW2, I liked the original more than the sequel.
Going only on the two retrospective videos that I've watched, I like the actual branching story offered by the choices in second game and CDPR have outdone themselves for the Witcher 3. From the FAQ I linked to above:

How many endings are there?

CDPR: There are three different epilogues, as well as 36 conditions in which the game’s world can end up.

Condition 34: Cocaine wolves conquer all :yep2: That wolf really doesn't look like he's committed to the attack - he has one of those 'hmm.. did I leave the gas on back in the cave?' looks.

Back