The Technology of GTA IV/RDR *Rage Engine*

Sure, so here's a clue as to how much the spu's are being used. Forget that the 360 exists, and remove the spu's from the PS3. Just stick with me here for a second. You now have a single core 3.2ghz machine with 256mb of ram, and an NVidia 7 series gpu with 256mb of ram as well. Now think back to how games looked back in the heyday of the NVidia 7 series card, back to around 2005. Here's a pic from Call of Duty to refresh y'alls memory:

That's what games looked like on NVidia 7 series cards on PC's back in 2005, and those PC's arguably had more memory and probably more cpu power than the non spu version of the PS3 even back in 2005. Now add those 6 spu's back to the PS3 and look at how RDR looks today in 2010. There's your clue as to how much of a role the spu's play on the PS3 today. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me!

Are you suggesting that without the SPUs, the PS3 would be producing tech like that? Seems a tad unreasonable when COD is a 2003 game! Half Life 2 or Doom 3 would have been a better comparison.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21355476&postcount=704

MazingerDUDE did some direct screenshot comparison & gave his verdict at the end, I'm definitely going to switch my order to 360 ver. now. Its more than just worse resolution (which is actually the least of my concern as 640p is very close to 720p), it was fine till the 3rd comparison....after that things got real ugly.

And its already doing that but still doesn't (allegedly) keeps up in framerate.

Not seems to me. I'm talking of buffer. I'm notice only the terrible blurring but not a differences in the folliage.

Not seems to me. I'm talking of buffer. I'm notice only the terrible blurring but not a differences in the folliage.
hmmm....checked again & you may be right.
Then again the PS3 ver is using a cheaper alternative in form of alpha test compared to 360's alpha blend

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you suggesting that without the SPUs, the PS3 would be producing tech like that? Seems a tad unreasonable when COD is a 2003 game! Half Life 2 or Doom 3 would have been a better comparison.
But could be even...only I don't understand how valid is it post like that when we talking of general ps3 graphic or R approach to ps3...

For those who don't know, joker454 is an actual game developer, who has worked coding on published PS3 games. His opinions are not to be taken lightly.

hmmm....checked again & you seem to be right about buffer size.
Then again the PS3 ver is using a cheaper alternative in form of alpha test compared to 360's alpha blend

I think MazingerDUDE meant that the 360 version looks closer to alpha blend. Like AlStrong said earlier it's still A2C on 360. The Rio Bravo image really shows it on the trees.

For those who don't know, joker454 is an actual game developer, who has worked coding on published PS3 games. His opinions are not to be taken lightly.
We know. And just for this some post little worried me, But back to RDR I revise my statement: it's true, use even low folliage on the ps3
a0037809_4bf350a3500ab.jpg

a0037809_4bf350ab7f67f.jpg

Definitely a bad port, mazinger dude is right, I'm quote.

Well that pic is from COD2, a 2005 game. Doom 3 was all indoors so it's not really comparable. Did Half Life 2 run at full spec on an NVidia 7 card? I seem to recall having to disable msaa to keep performance, but it's been a while. Either way, the point was to demonstrate what used to be considered 'high tech' for an NVidia 7 card, and how much further the spu's have carried it in 2010.

Well that pic is from COD2, a 2005 game. Doom 3 was all indoors so it's not really comparable. Did Half Life 2 run at full spec on an NVidia 7 card? I seem to recall having to disable msaa to keep performance, but it's been a while. Either way, the point was to demonstrate what used to be considered 'high tech' for an NVidia 7 card, and how much further the spu's have carried it in 2010.
Not demonstrate anything technically talking. And you know that better of me. It is how to post a pc GTA 4 pic and said this the best which pc high-end can to do.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=21355476&postcount=704

MazingerDUDE did some direct screenshot comparison & gave his verdict at the end, I'm definitely going to switch my order to 360 ver. now. Its more than just worse resolution (which is actually the least of my concern as 640p is very close to 720p), it was fine till the 3rd comparison....after that things got real ugly.

And its already doing that but still doesn't (allegedly) keeps up in framerate.

Cool ! At least I have a better feel of the game's visual. Will check out how the game plays.
Thank god I waited this time.

That's Call of Duty 2 :oops:? I haven't played it so I don't know, but I had the impression it looked much better than that.

But remember, a lot of PS3 launch titles did not/barely use the SPUs, and they were running at 720p with plenty of graphical candy (eg Genji, Resistance). They were being entirely carried by the RSX.

That's Call of Duty 2 :oops:? I haven't played it so I don't know, but I had the impression it looked much better than that.

But remember, a lot of PS3 launch titles did not/barely use the SPUs, and they were running at 720p with plenty of graphical candy (eg Genji, Resistance). They were being entirely carried by the RSX.
That's a PC shot, I do remember than the game looked better than that atleast..on 360. [it never came out on PS3 ofcourse]. Speaking of launch PS3 tittle, F1 CE is still a mighty fine example. (well its a near launch tittle, came a month later)

I too would love to know how many PS3 developers actually do design their file systems with redundant data on the disc to improve seek times. I know Bethesda does that for Oblivion and Fallout 3, but I haven't heard anyone else really talk about it.

This is something I want to know as well. In a game with a lot of streaming like RDR, the large BR space could be a benefit, when you use it for a clever redundant data layout. But DF learned us that typically the the amount of data is the same on DVD and BR (maybe sanse the additional space of high quality sound). A reviewer of my local mag once even stated to this topic that they often recieve their PS3 copy on DVD (I didn't know that this is even possible?!) and that they wonder as well when MP devs will start to use the available space!

So, easy question there...without counting in the graphical side of things and ignoring the discussion of superior graphics hardware. The PS3 has a HDD+large BR space available. RDR is an open world game with lots of streaming. In average, the BR speed is the same compared to the DVD (there was a long discussion here on B3D).

Why the heck are the load times in RDR PS3 twice as large as the load times of RDR Xbox360 - this cannot be due to RSX! Joker, it would be great if you could maybe give some hints on this issue as well, because I don't understand the technical reasons for the loading issues (in fact, for me I thought that at least loading could be faster on PS3 due to the listed advantages). As I don't understand this loading issues...this is the reason where I doubt that R* put this much effort into the port (I used the word "port" because the loading issues for me indicates a port of from Xbox360 to PS3...or that RAGE is not well optimized for PS3 in this regard!)

The PS3 version only has a 600MB install (GTA4 was almost 4GB). Perhaps they could improve loads by allowing the option for more. Unless it's a world that is being generated which from the looks of the scale and type of wilderness seems very possible.

When do loads actually occur in RDR by the way? The world is completely streamed right?

This and Joker's comments leads me to the question: if the PS3 and 360 are not equal in capabilities, should we instead be expecting more from 360 devs - as the 360 doesn't really have anything in the league of GoW3 or Uncharted or KZ2? (I would say Alan Wake, but the 540p issue makes it contentious)

That's the strange thing, on one hand we have technically stellar PS3 exclusive titles but the vast majority of cross platform titles run or look better on 360 - even those from technically adept devs.

So is there a general undestimation of the 360's capabilities and exaggeration of the PS3's?

Also, do we know what the differences are between RDR running on a 360 without a HDD versus a HDD equipped 360? I have always wondered if games cut back graphical features (eg. harsher LOD, lower res textures etc) on HDDless 360s or are the differences solely limited to longer load times? Digital Foundry and other comparisions never look into this.

If there are no graphical cutbacks when a HDD isn't present; that'd be quite the achievement on 360, as it means it looks better than the PS3 version which has a HDD AND a mandatory install (IIRC).

Is this only due to PS3's BR drive being slower than the 360's? Is it really that much slower? Especially Considering the large variances in quality and performance of 360 disc drives and the fact that the vast amounts of space on Blu-ray means you can pad it out with multiple copies of the same asset to reduce seek times.

When you develop with in mind a single hardware is more simple to tap is potential and mask is weakness. It's simple to understand. Rage engine gives me the impressions with in mind an hardware but not the ps3. It seem more simply 'arranged.

Well that pic is from COD2, a 2005 game.

Yup!

Did Half Life 2 run at full spec on an NVidia 7 card? I seem to recall having to disable msaa to keep performance, but it's been a while. Either way, the point was to demonstrate what used to be considered 'high tech' for an NVidia 7 card, and how much further the spu's have carried it in 2010.

Ya even with their HDR solution, 4xMSAA perf. TSAA and 16xAF (Loast Coast/Cinematic Mod earlier versions). Had a 7900 series card some years ago. But yeah that is besides the point!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's difficult to make any blanket statements about the PS3 and 360 in terms of performance.

However, when it comes to PS3 exclusives, there is a fairly significant difference.
The PS3 architecture lends itself to rendering multiple frames in parallel. The SPUs can certainly help out with rendering, but what few people realise is that this often occurs in parallel with RSX.

For example, while frame X+1 is rendering, the post processing for frame X is occurring on the SPUs. This form of parallelism fundamentally cannot be done on the 360 and is simply not needed. This is clearly very hard to implement when writing a multiplatform engine.

On top of that, the SPUs are often used to do vertex processing for the RSX (Well, you basically have to). This actually takes a huge chunk of total SPU time (I believe it's around 40% for uncharted 2). Combine that with other tasks (shader constant patching, etc) and you have be very very careful in how a rendering architecture is setup to prevent stalls.
Naturally, if you are only working with the PS3 you can tailor to it a lot more.

On the other hand, the 360 has issues with memory latency. The GPU has a fairly small texture cache - and if you overrun it, the hit is usually pretty huge. Things like that. But it's more likely to get good performance from 'dumb' code. (I hesitate to use that word, as it's still very difficult thing to do - ps: anyone who utters the term 'lazy' doesn't know what they are talking about)

At the end of the day, I can bet you that some exceptionally smart people worked exceptionally hard for an exceptionally long time getting both the PS3 and 360 looking and running as good as they do. Some people forget just how old and crappy both systems are :mrgreen:

It's difficult to make any blanket statements about the PS3 and 360 in terms of performance.

However, when it comes to PS3 exclusives, there is a fairly significant difference.
The PS3 architecture lends itself to rendering multiple frames in parallel. The SPUs can certainly help out with rendering, but what many people do not realise is this often occurs in parallel with RSX.

Ie, while frame X+1 is rendering, the post processing for frame X is occurring on the SPUs. This form of parallelism fundamentally cannot be done on the 360 and is simply not needed. This is clearly very hard to implement when writing a multiplatform engine.

On top of that, the SPUs are often used to do vertex processing for the RSX (Well, you basically have to). This actually takes a huge chunk of total SPU time (I believe it's around 40% for uncharted 2). Combine that with other tasks (shader constant patching, etc) and you have be very very careful in how a rendering architecture is setup to prevent stalls.
Naturally, if you are only working with the PS3 you can tailor to it a lot more.

On the other hand, the 360 has issues with memory latency. The GPU has a fairly small texture cache - and if you overrun it, the hit is usually pretty huge. Things like that. But it's more likely to get good performance from 'dumb' code.

Thank you very much for the explanation. Pretty clear & objective. :D I hope the speculations over here.

The PS3 architecture lends itself to rendering multiple frames in parallel. The SPUs can certainly help out with rendering, but what few people realise is that this often occurs in parallel with RSX.

For example, while frame X+1 is rendering, the post processing for frame X is occurring on the SPUs. This form of parallelism fundamentally cannot be done on the 360 and is simply not needed. This is clearly very hard to implement when writing a multiplatform engine.

On the other hand, the 360 has issues with memory latency. The GPU has a fairly small texture cache - and if you overrun it, the hit is usually pretty huge. Things like that. But it's more likely to get good performance from 'dumb' code. (I hesitate to use that word, as it's still very difficult thing to do - ps: anyone who utters the term 'lazy' doesn't know what they are talking about)

At the end of the day, I can bet you that some exceptionally smart people worked exceptionally hard for an exceptionally long time getting both the PS3 and 360 looking and running as good as they do. Some people forget just how old and crappy both systems are :mrgreen:
Very good insight there...thanks :)

Back