The scalability and evolution of game engines *spawn*

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by ultragpu, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Silenti

Regular

DLSS 2.0 is still technology. It is not, yet, magic. Damn near it seems at times.

We had the Atari 2600. A wealthier friend of my parents had the Intellivision and my brother and I would switch off playing Burger Time all night while the old folks played cards and drank. Same couple had an actual LaserDisc and it was where I first saw Raider's of the Lost Ark. An Uncle had the first Pong stand alone. Played the crap out of that as well. I mostly remember Pong, Asteroids, Combat, Adventure, 2 bad racing games and Pitfall. :mrgreen:

Barrabas likes this.
  2. jlippo

Veteran Regular

In Flight Simulators case DX11 may well be big part of why it is so CPU heavy.

3. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

He's six months behind Jason Schreier reacting to this. But isn't Tom Warren the Verge journalist whose been posting pro-Series X hints/narrative for months, supposedly informed by people in the know (presumably devs)? How has all this caught him unaware? :???:

4. cheapchips

Veteran Newcomer

Maybe he feels he'll get more of a contribution to an article (if there's one to be written) now that S is a confirmed thing. At least one element of the NDA developers have been under has lifted. Comments clearly have reached journalists either directly or indirectly to date, but that does mean those developers breached their NDAs.

BRiT likes this.
  5. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Jason Schreier stated that the concerns he raised earlier this year were "concerns from from devs". Perhaps Tom Warren wasn't getting his Series X info from devs, or maybe from devs without access to Series S ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ But he's been very active with Series X info/leaks/hints that have been pretty close to accurate (for leaks anyway) so it's weird he's been blindsided by this. Some devs will be biased, so maybe his source was giving him the good stuff but not the stuff others are expressing concerns about.

As a journalist you need to be balanced, but if you're not seeing the whole picture...

#325 DSoup, Sep 12, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
  6. MrSpiggott

Newcomer

The opinions don’t have equivalent worth.
    A negative opinion on any part of the hardware has to be specified, a developer saying a deficiency A prevents them from doing B is testable and falsifiable.
    A developer vaguely saying “I’m sure everything will be fine, we’ll just reduce some settings”, isn’t. There’s no detail to test, we’ll only know If this is true once the game is released.

7. PSman1700

Veteran Newcomer

This one should be running on XSX/PS5 and PC. No mention of XSS but it's from before the unveil. Atleast this game scales between those three, and it's up there with any other next gen game showcased so far. Scaling does work when they put efforts in it.

8. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

One aspect to keep in mind is the Xbox Series devkits have not really been ready for targetting Lockhart/Series S until the late Summer version. I think the software kit was released in late June or early July. This is based on the leaked release notes to the SDK.

Previously if they wanted to develop for Lockhart Series S, the developers had to use an entirely different software environment than what was for Series X. That alone would easily lead to developer resentment. Now that its a unified environment and development experience, things should be vastly improved.

Johnny Awesome, AzBat and Lalaland like this.
  9. TeamGhobad

Newcomer

More dev time = unhappy devs and also unhappy companies. regardless of the tools we now have 2 different consoles that you need to develop for. my prediction is that a lot of companies will go ps5 exclusive if sony is willing to throw cash their way. it would alleviate a lot of headaches having to work on a 4tlop system.

egoless likes this.
  10. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

Once again it's all tempest in a teapot stuff. I'm pretty certain the scaling from XSX down to PS5 and further down to XSS will be fine for 5 years and then we'll be moving on to new machines.

scently, turkey and AzBat like this.
  11. see colon

see colon All Ham & No Potatos
    Veteran

There are few games from that generation I return to, but B17 Bomber is one of them. Also, Poker and Black Jack. Don't know why, I'm not really into card games. But I've put hours into that.

Barrabas likes this.
  12. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

So you’re assuming that devs will develop for the X first and then ‘scale down’ to PS5? :lol:

egoless likes this.
  13. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

A little bit. The X has a 20% TF advantage after all.

14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

To be pedantic, 18% at a minimum with 25% memory bandwidth for the most part.

PSman1700 likes this.
  15. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

They’ll develop for the largest user base first, as it’s always been.

egoless likes this.
  16. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

PCs?

PSman1700 and AzBat like this.
  17. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Wii, obvs.

DSoup likes this.
  18. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Why are you speaking French?

PSman1700, AzBat and London Geezer like this.
  19. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Meh wii!

Games these days are developed on/for PC and consoles which are also PCs, for all intents and purposes, really.

This whole scaling up/down/sideways is such a boring argument.

20. Barrabas

Regular Newcomer

Isn't the most important question: will PC and XSX games scale up to the PS5 SSD speed?......