The potential sales of Wii Fit

If I read things correctly, they are too smart and too proud to copy Wii "as is". They will most likely assimilate the Wii philosophy into their future products.

That's too far :(
You know what... this thread needs a few photos.

EDIT: For people who have WiiFit, I'd like to hear your impressions, especially for people with backache (Can they play ? Does it help ?).
Mine is still strong, but the little kid has broken my significant other's back.

Yoga is fantastic for building core strength, which helps improve posture and balance, both of which should help with back pain. Most people have back pain because of poor posture and low fitness. If you actually have physical damage, I'd go to a doctor before starting any strenuous physical activity. If you're really out of shape, it's best to go to a doctor before starting any physical activity anyway.

There are fifteen yoga exercises that unlock as you improve in Wii Fit. There are also 15 strength exercises that unlock in the same manner. Looking at the exercises included, some of them are actually very difficult. It's a much more demanding routine as you progress than I thought it would be. I'm really excited to try it. I do a mix of pilates and strength exercises at home, without weights, so Wii Fit is perfect for me.

Another thing to keep in mind, yoga is fairly difficult and it is best to do it with proper instruction. I haven't seen the routine and how it progresses, but it would be best to at least go through the routine with a partner for the first while so you can have someone monitor your form. Having a real instructor would be best, at least until you are comfortable doing it on your own.

And I wouldn't do the Wii Fit aerobics. Jogging on the spot is very harsh on your knees, ankles etc, especially if you don't wear appropriate footwear. It would be best to jog or walk at the gym or outside where you can do so with a proper forward motion. Something like an elliptical machine or stair climber is more low impact and ideal for most people.

While there is no doubt wii fit is selling well, its also quite clear its not being supplied in GTA like volume. I'd be surprised if it does much over 1.2 million in the US for the month.

While there is no doubt wii fit is selling well, its also quite clear its not being supplied in GTA like volume. I'd be surprised if it does much over 1.2 million in the US for the month.

I agree, which is a huge pain in the ass. My dollars are right here waiting for a Wii Fit to come along. No luck.

Yoga is fantastic for building core strength, which helps improve posture and balance, both of which should help with back pain. Most people have back pain because of poor posture and low fitness. If you actually have physical damage, I'd go to a doctor before starting any strenuous physical activity. If you're really out of shape, it's best to go to a doctor before starting any physical activity anyway.

I agree completely with that. Improving one's balance is probably one of the major benefits of Wii Fit. You won't get huge muscles or a good cardio workout. But a good sense of balance is sg. that shouldn't be overlooked, especially for old people who are more likely to get hurt if they fall, etc.

hey, i live in hong kong and have had a wii fit for a pretty long time now. I'd say they're nice, worth the ~$100 investment, and useful. Wii Fit the software gets a little old after a while, but it definitely works. The yoga section is probably the worst in that it has no real way to judge the dynamics of yoga. All it can do is tell you whether your balance is good during relatively static yoga poses. It's still useful tho, since i've already taken some courses and think it's a decent intro to get more people into yoga. The traditional calisthenics section is great - almost too great - and i find myself shying away from the most challenging tasks (mainly just the lunges) because they pain me for days. ^^;

as for its effects on society, after almost a year of wii fit mania, hong kong is still far more obsessed with real gymnasiums, and still pretty fit. If you're a single american wimp who doesn't get out and talk to beautiful women much, i'd advise you to worry less about wii fit and more about getting more courage. This might sound harsh, but the reality is that no amount of wii fit's gonna help you meet chicks - the body may improve, but don't neglect your courage - think of it like a stat that needs practice to increase, and deteriorates with disuse! ;)

as a final note, the women in gaming "phenomenon" is so painful to hear about here. I'm an american, and my girl is too, and we're both avid gamers, and it's totally normal here. Everyone is a gamer here - even a good number of the grandparents. And it can't possibly be bad for gamers! A good gaming press may be more and more significant - so... jobs for everyone! :)

hey, i live in hong kong and have had a wii fit for a pretty long time now. I'd say they're nice, worth the ~$100 investment, and useful. Wii Fit the software gets a little old after a while, but it definitely works. The yoga section is probably the worst in that it has no real way to judge the dynamics of yoga. All it can do is tell you whether your balance is good during relatively static yoga poses. It's still useful tho, since i've already taken some courses and think it's a decent intro to get more people into yoga. The traditional calisthenics section is great - almost too great - and i find myself shying away from the most challenging tasks (mainly just the lunges) because they pain me for days. ^^;

I just wanted to mention that I have been doing dumbbell lunges for a couple of years now and even when you do them for the first time without weights, they are a paid for days, however eventually the pain goes away and the strength kicks in and then you add a little more weight and so on.

I do lunges as a warm up to squats and leg press, its a very powerfull excercise that in my case (I focus on athletic agility not body building) has helped me greatly increase my stamina and speed in long distance running and biking.

So far I see that Wii Fit is usefull enought no get a newbie to excercise into actually trying out and practicing excersises that are sometimes rare to see performed in a gym as well as introducing people to yoga.

as for its effects on society, after almost a year of wii fit mania, hong kong is still far more obsessed with real gymnasiums, and still pretty fit. If you're a single american wimp who doesn't get out and talk to beautiful women much, i'd advise you to worry less about wii fit and more about getting more courage. This might sound harsh, but the reality is that no amount of wii fit's gonna help you meet chicks - the body may improve, but don't neglect your courage - think of it like a stat that needs practice to increase, and deteriorates with disuse! ;)

Very interesting since I am fully aware that hong kong has a very strong videogaming culture there however remember and I stress that in the USA, since it is still such a huge country you still meet alot of people who frown on 20+ and worse 30+ men who own videogame consoles.

I have many friends, specifically those who like me barely touch alcohol, do not smoke, do not do drugs and excercise, as well as having a good work ethic and job and they will meet the girl that they were attracted to and when she arrives into his appartment/room and sees a videogame console to get remarks like "childish, or you have not outgrown your childhood years", then again some women are notorious for convincing a man they just met to sell and give up the "insert your car here" while they themselves are alien to such a hobby.

I do agree with you though on the aspect on american culture and women, I hope you understand what I was trying to say by "ice breaker" being the Wii Fit converstation, as being a less likely excuse to be filled with BS and more in having a social common bond to talk about. Specially with the rarity of american women being gamers and those that are, hardly if ever are single and you yourself pointed out with your relationship you lucky bastard you.

as a final note, the women in gaming "phenomenon" is so painful to hear about here. I'm an american, and my girl is too, and we're both avid gamers, and it's totally normal here. Everyone is a gamer here - even a good number of the grandparents. And it can't possibly be bad for gamers! A good gaming press may be more and more significant - so... jobs for everyone! :)

I don't know if in Asian countries there are ever any instances of certain groups claiming that videogaming is the "evil spirits full of black witchcraft" or "toys and games are just for kids" but if my grandmother ever picked up a Nintendo Wii I would surely faint in a happy shock.

wii fit is great fun. My girl and i played it for 4 hours yesterday.. you will work up sweat doing the balance exercises. we havent gotten to yoga or teh advanced calisthenics but its a tool to help motivate you when you really dont want to get out.

cool cool, akumajou. I'm glad that you can balance a love of video games with a love of exercise and the outdoors. Many people can't - and i also have troubles with it now and then. I'll pick up a truly great game and it'll ruin my productivity on every front for a week. >_<

glad you could see what i was getting at. I have to say that growing up in new jersey i was surrounded by female geeks - in the 80s they seemed to be a small minority but by the 90s my high school and college were full of em. When i moved to florida i got a chance to really examine america outside of the ny-philly metro area and saw that yeah, interesting women were harder to meet - lower population density and a climate that favored beach bunnies a bit more i guess. I just want to stress that even there, i found a lot of cool gamers, and a number of them women.

Although i respect the challenges - and maybe you were exaggerating - i often feel like the geek's toughest enemies are self-doubt and negativity, so i felt compelled to get all serious n shit ;)

Back