The potential sales of Wii Fit

Akumajou

Regular
Hi guys let me just say that I have known about Wii Fit since Nintendo unveiled it last year and although I have yet to purchase a Nintendo Wii or even a Wii Fit (financial reasons) so far my next generation is PS3 based.

However as a long time gamer since the 80s with Nintendo, Sega, Atari and so on and as a major gaming debates fan the Wii Fit to me is the first time in history that I can definetly marvel and be scared of the future of videogames so without further ado:

Here is a small story that I mentioned some time ago, basically I have a gym membership and go religiously for fitness, then I started to attend the gym in the morning and two weeks into it an amazing thing happened. Two amazingly looking creatures of beauty were discussing the Nintendo Wii (way back in early May 08) and some "game" that they could play that would allow them to do excercise and yoga right in front of a television and therefore help in the holy quest of losing and or keeping weight managed or off.

An Metal Gear series double exclamation mark popped up over my head and I eventually worked up the courage to (eventually) get into the conversation with them because I assumed that perhaps they were geeky girls. I found out that instead they were not really geeky girls and that they were single so it was not a case of some boyfriend brain washing his GF into being a girl console gamer.

This set off a major alarm to me in that somehow WOMEN who are traditionally NOT GAMERS are very likely to purchase a videogame console and a fittness peripheral for the purpose of having an electronic personal trainer in the safety of their own appartment or home, one that may not grope them perhaps.

Then I found out that recently the Ellen Degeneres TV show, a morning tv show widely viewed by women pulled an Oprah and gave free Nintendo Wii + Wii Fits to their largely female audience.

So basically I am fully aware that a sleeping beauty or giant is about to wake up, the question is just how much of a wake up its going to be.

Feel free to discuss and just remember that its inevitable already, the die is cast and at least a pasty, acne having nerd has potentially gained a brand new ice breaker with a type 10 babe and that a whole new era is about to dawn in the history of videogames as women outside of asian countries and Japan make the leap into a game console purchase.

Another way of looking at it is, remember the tv commercial where Nicole Kidman is playing NDS Brain Age.

Finally I would like to estimate that at least 3 in 4 Nintendo Wii owners will buy a Wii Fit while Sony and Microsoft scramble in panic to respond or downplay.

Em... other than not being able to meet the two "amazingly looking creatures of beauty", I don't see what's bad about your encounter.

Nintendo made gaming relevant to more people by going to their existing lifestyles (instead of attracting them to a [new] gaming hobby). Sony and Microsoft can do that too (eventually).

Aiight, I'll be honest. Which gym do you go to ?

Wii Fit is a pretty great idea. I think I'll probably buy it. I do a bunch of pilates type exercises at home already, and I'd be interested in seeing what Wii Fit has to offer.

Well I was skeptical simply because it involves such an expensive peripheral and that would go against the theory that casuals won't spend as much as hardcore gamers that I've heard thrown around for years.
But it seems that preorders are being snapped up and it's getting great press on VERY mainstream programs. The Ellen show gave away a bunch for one and other big shows have jump on the bandwagon.
With the right press a game like this could(I said could not would) be bigger than hardcore games. It's appealing to a much larger audience,that is those people who DO NOT play games like Halo.

Yeah, I just went and tried to find one. I gave up fairly quickly because I knew what the deal was. Each store I went into was sold out, and there were already a number of people walking around, asking the clerks if it was sold out and when they'd have more. None of these people were children, mostly soccer moms. Hopefully it's not as painful as finding a Wii, though I was lucky getting mine.

Yap, I saw 3 in BestBuy yesterday and thought people didn't want one. :LOL:
Realized that it's only officially launched today. Picked up my Singstar for PS3 at lunch, and 2 guys in their thirties were asking for one (All gone before they walked in ~).

I placed a pre-order at Gamestop a day or two after someone at neogaf mentioned that it was available for pre-order at eb/gamestop stores. That was Feb sometime.

I picked it up a few of hours ago and only briefly tried it. Mostly it was my little niece and nephew going at it and having a blast. They even did some of the yoga ones, which I didn't think they would. I think Nintendo has another winner.

I see something like this as the interactive future of the exercise tape/dvd world. Other companies can make their own software to take advantage of the Balance board.

Or maybe someone can address a big shortcoming of WiiFit by releasing some sort of exercise tailoring program via WiiWare.

Being slightly off topic, does no-one else see this as a potentially bad thing?

I'm another guy who practically lives in a gym and I'm not entirely sure things like WiiFit can be considered a good thing...

I will readily admit some exercise is better than none, but using something like WiiFit is never going to be a good replacement for actual exercise and could be detrimental to the mindset of many people.
Granted, there will be some people who would never get out of the house for any form of real exercise but will use WiiFit and for them it is a good thing, but what about the people who are looking into doing some real exercise who now feel they can use WiiFit as an easy and adequate replacement? Let alone, as the OP suggests, people who currently do proper exercise thinking they can now give it up for the easy option of what is still, essentially, a computer game?

I just think there's a real danger of people thinking WiiFit is adequate for their exercise needs and not doing any real exercise, obviously the people who currently do serious exercise will go back to that if they don't find WiiFit suitable, but I think there's a danger people who do need to exercise will think they can get away with just WiiFit and what happens if they then find (as they almost certainly will) that it's not really improving their health and so now have an easy out for exercise in future with the "I tried exercise and it didn't help..."

If you live in a building with stairs walk up and down them 20 times, you'll get more exercise than a daily session of WiiFit I'd bet, do that three times a day and it would be almost beneficial.

For WiiFit to be seen as anything other than a game is actually a little harmful, I think... You'll all just think I'm mad ;)

I'm another guy who practically lives in a gym and I'm not entirely sure things like WiiFit can be considered a good thing...

I will readily admit some exercise is better than none, but using something like WiiFit is never going to be a good replacement for actual exercise and could be detrimental to the mindset of many people.
Granted, there will be some people who would never get out of the house for any form of real exercise but will use WiiFit and for them it is a good thing, but what about the people who are looking into doing some real exercise who now feel they can use WiiFit as an easy and adequate replacement? Let alone, as the OP suggests, people who currently do proper exercise thinking they can now give it up for the easy option of what is still, essentially, a computer game?

I just think there's a real danger of people thinking WiiFit is adequate for their exercise needs and not doing any real exercise, obviously the people who currently do serious exercise will go back to that if they don't find WiiFit suitable, but I think there's a danger people who do need to exercise will think they can get away with just WiiFit and what happens if they then find (as they almost certainly will) that it's not really improving their health and so now have an easy out for exercise in future with the "I tried exercise and it didn't help..."

If you live in a building with stairs walk up and down them 20 times, you'll get more exercise than a daily session of WiiFit I'd bet, do that three times a day and it would be almost beneficial.

For WiiFit to be seen as anything other than a game is actually a little harmful, I think... You'll all just think I'm mad ;)

Have you looked at the strength training and yoga exercises that are included in Wii Fit? It's actually looks pretty good. The aerobic portion is bullshit. Jogging on the spot is stupid. So in terms of cardiovascular fitness, people should do something else.

So many people at work talking about Wii Fit and how they weren't able to kid one yesterday. This is such a drag. I really want this thing, but I don't want to have to go out of my way to get one.

Not at all. You gain some (People with backaches, people who don't go to gym, kids who don't go out, busy folks, etc.), you lose some. But a LOT more people are playing games.

Em... other than not being able to meet the two "amazingly looking creatures of beauty", I don't see what's bad about your encounter.

There were other factors, I had to do buy routine and stay focused so at least the perhaps non-threatning ice breaker in the form of the Wii Fit helped start a conversation about a topic, I got extra information since one of my side stories involved a girl that I knew who became a gamer via her boyfriend, thats when they informed me that they were single and were informed by mainstream media ie talk show aimed at women.

Nintendo made gaming relevant to more people by going to their existing lifestyles (instead of attracting them to a [new] gaming hobby). Sony and Microsoft can do that too (eventually).

Although I am sure they can somehow copy the Wii Fit, the fact that the other two consoles are in a higher price range and heavily catered to casuals and hardcore gamers, not to mention the unreliable issues with XBox 360, noise and real estate both consoles take will really need to be addressed for non-gamer/casuals to get to purchase the console.

Aiight, I'll be honest. Which gym do you go to ?

Somewhere in New England USA ;)

Well I was skeptical simply because it involves such an expensive peripheral and that would go against the theory that casuals won't spend as much as hardcore gamers that I've heard thrown around for years.
But it seems that preorders are being snapped up and it's getting great press on VERY mainstream programs. The Ellen show gave away a bunch for one and other big shows have jump on the bandwagon.
With the right press a game like this could(I said could not would) be bigger than hardcore games. It's appealing to a much larger audience,that is those people who DO NOT play games like Halo.

Although the peripheral is expensive the talk is more centered around its offerings when it comes to those talk shows like The Ellen Show and fitness is involved with the product and when you add it up to almost any fad diet or excercise routine fad being promoted either freely or sponsored since the dawn of female talk shows and you can see the potential.

Also I would hardly believe that the stereotypical "hardcore gamer" would have to play Halo to qualify, specially considering that Halo is more of a console faction or specific experience that tradicional Playstation or Nintendo console consumers may not even play despite its popularity and hype.

Its almost like saying that you have to play GTA to be a hardcore gamer or if you never played a Mario game you are not hardcore.

Hey Jon Brittan as far as I know I don't believe that Wii Fit is being promoted as a "Gym replacement" and I don't believe it is being sensationalized as a "magic pill that burns away the pounds while you sleep"

Its just another alternative although this one has alot of potencial since you don't have to buy alot of heavy equipment and the majority of home purchased weight sets, nautilus machines, threadmills, stationary bikes, etc end up collecting dust in a basement and then put on a yard sale due to hardware breakdown, lazyness or just lack of motivation, at least since the console is family friendly it means that parents will think of their fattened up children.

On the other hand like the two girls I spoke with, they go in the mornings because (as per their schedule matching) less men try to come on to them and disrupt their workout routine by asking them out on a date specially when my gym lacks a "female only section"

I personally have seen female attendance, (that is hot babe material) drop in my gym to the point where they ended up scrapping the cardio and yoga and by side effect, the martial arts classes. All because when camera-cellphones were introduced some clowns decided it would be fun to turn into filmmakers, that is unwanted filming inside the gym, violating their space.

I am pretty sure that these girls are not going to outright quit the gym once they have a Wii Fit since they will still need to do stairmaster and threadmill, but at least things like yoga or pilates won't turn into feeling random eyes undressing your body (that is the female's body) and creeping them out.

The other problem is not everyone thinks the same way you do when it comes to fitness so while living in a building with stairs may seem like a good idea as much as going to a mall and doing laps or just running outside your neighborhood to save money paying for equipment or membership it may not work for everyone else.

And not to sound ignorant here but in my experience the majority of girls that I have met that were genuine gamers were almost always of asian origin. Chinese, Vietnamese, Laotian, Japanese, etc girls for some reason don't have the same mentality that white american women, European women, Black American women and Latin women have about videogames being little children stuff unless they happened to actually and rarely grow up with a parent or relative who gave them a games console, however even so they will only play the videogames that appeal to them in their minds and the way they think unless...

They were brainwashed into being halo players by their boyfriends or in some rare cases their brothers (most likely as a way to get another player for multi or lan) I actually have met very different girls, the few that were non-Asian who were mostly turned into gaming by their boyfriends, one of them a Xbox 360 fan-bot who basically recited anything negative about the Wii and PS3 or Nintendo and Sony while praising Microsoft (yet I knew for a fact that she indeed had never touched a Sony or Nintendo console)

Although I am sure they can somehow copy the Wii Fit, the fact that the other two consoles are in a higher price range and heavily catered to casuals and hardcore gamers, not to mention the unreliable issues with XBox 360, noise and real estate both consoles take will really need to be addressed for non-gamer/casuals to get to purchase the console.

If I read things correctly, they are too smart and too proud to copy Wii "as is". They will most likely assimilate the Wii philosophy into their future products.

Somewhere in New England USA ;)

That's too far :(
You know what... this thread needs a few photos.

EDIT: For people who have WiiFit, I'd like to hear your impressions, especially for people with backache (Can they play ? Does it help ?).
Mine is still strong, but the little kid has broken my significant other's back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back