The origin/author of parallax mapping

Reverend

Banned
IIRC it comes from a few Japanese engineers and there was also a paper by them (a careful and extremely time-consuming search here seem to point to a hardware implementation via a shader in the OpenGL.org forum but my memory says it was proposed before that) . Can anyone provide me the link to that paper? Thanks.

The first time i heard about it was from terry welsh who posted it at opengl.org and later published the paper Parallax mapping : A per pixel approximation of uneven surfaces 2004

I almost thought Humus invented it :)
remember its demo, and the engine from Artificial Studios which used the same (free) textures to show their parallax mapping?

Well, Terry Welsh seems to have reinvented it. If I recall correctly, he has found the japanese papers only afterwards, as he was searching for existing implementations of his idea. I still remember his post on opengl.org, were is coused real enthusiasm :)

So I tend to call him the real inventor of parallax mapping, as his work coused the spreading o fthis effect.

p.s. This is a clear proove that new things can be still invented :D

Blazkowicz_ said:
I almost thought Humus invented it :)
remember its demo, and the engine from Artificial Studios which used the same (free) textures to show their parallax mapping?

I jumped on the trend pretty quickly, but Terry Welsh was definitely before me, and I learned the technique from his posting at opengl.org

I was writing up a paper too :)

I posted this in 2003 (which I believe was before the original opengl.org thread),

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=192321&whichpage=1%ED%B1%97%ED%BD%82

effectivly closer to occlusion mapping than actually simple parallax mapping. Although highly limited by my radeon 9500 at the time, using 5 iterations.

I eventually came to the conclusion it just didn't look good enoguh for the performance hit and concentrated on my stencil shadows paper which got published the next year.

Ohh well :)

Back