The Order: 1886

So I played the first chapter now - wow, the game is stunning and looks to run above 30fps - I guess some affect makes it look that smooth.

Overall the gameplay is ok - the guns seem really light-weight with little punch in the sound (maybe it's just me) - it is early days though.

So I played the first chapter now - wow, the game is stunning and looks to run above 30fps - I guess some affect makes it look that smooth.

Overall the gameplay is ok - the guns seem really light-weight with little punch in the sound (maybe it's just me) - it is early days though.

It is the high quality motion blur combined with 30 fps mostly locked not many dips into this game.

No need to get defensive about the reviews imo. The game just isn't that great, it's a new IP on a new console and the developer was just creating a solid framework with great graphics (which was the point). The reviews were rightly critical of it, it's just that most people here and other forums/sites are being lenient because of what it is now in hopes of a sequel coming down the line.

It's not a good or even a great game, it's an okay one. Maybe that'll change with the sequel, but for what it is right now is nothing to be praised except for the graphics and sound quality.

Last edited:
I still think that reviewers are a bit super-negative with games like the Order and Ryse, which have a breath taking presentation and standard gameplay only...

I don't think I want gushing reviews of games that are primarily eyecandy. I mean how many generations of new eyecandy on the same gameplay do you really want? That by definition sounds "average" to me. And its form of the 3rd person cover shooter gameplay doesn't even sound very solid anyway.

I don't think I want gushing reviews of games that are primarily eyecandy. I mean how many generations of new eyecandy on the same gameplay do you really want? That by definition sounds "average" to me. And its form of the 3rd person cover shooter gameplay doesn't even sound very solid anyway.

But in relation to what? Because if you compare it to others games in the genre, it is solid. I don't understand why most games can bereviewed fairly and objectively, but when it comes to platform exclusives (Ryse, The Order, Sunset Overdrive, Driveclub) the reviewers expectations are somehow very difficult to met. Apart from The Order, I recently played Dying Light which in my opinion has a lame story, average graphics and iritating gameplay. And yet it is considered a good game and gets favourable reviews. If it would be a platform exclusive, it would get 2-3/10 rates.

Last two paragraphs are so true:

GPU power won't matter until we can specifically target it.
The Order shows that, and that's why a PS4 title can look better than other games which were still targeting the previous console generation and then where upgraded with a few extra techniques to push high-end PC GPUs.

Pushing certain marginal stuff to eleven doesn't make quite as much of a quality difference than creating assets and effects specifically for more powerful GPUs, and that's why even if PCs were already more powerful than these consoles at launch, we have to wait for console games to improve in order to see real advances in games graphics.

But in relation to what? Because if you compare it to others games in the genre, it is solid. I don't understand why most games can bereviewed fairly and objectively, but when it comes to platform exclusives (Ryse, The Order, Sunset Overdrive, Driveclub) the reviewers expectations are somehow very difficult to met. Apart from The Order, I recently played Dying Light which in my opinion has a lame story, average graphics and iritating gameplay. And yet it is considered a good game and gets favourable reviews. If it would be a platform exclusive, it would get 2-3/10 rates.
I don't think I want to try to make sense out of what pop culture likes and dislikes. :)

I haven't tried Dying Light. I've watched some videos and haven't felt like buying it based on those. I didn't enjoy Dead Island and it looks too similar.

Like I have said consistency. Everything is top notch... And no screen space effect like I said. The problem with The Order 1886 is to play another PS4 game after it is so far ahead of other PS4 game...

It will not be alone before the end of year but it is the benchmark...

Last edited:
To each technique its own abuses. First was bloom. Then lens flares. Then depth of field and so on...
There's always a new "must have" feature that gets cranked to eleven to be "cool" and hip until everyone gets disgusted and dials back, just to latch to something else.

Stop.
For PBR it seems metals can be problematic. More than one game I've seen nowadays that pushes shiny, perfectly polished stuff everywhere, I can't really understand why.

Dragon Age Origins: a wonderful game done with a wonderful engine.
But it really has some issues with shiny metals, the Orlais palace is one of the worst offenders.
The Order instead doesn't ever lose its composure. Materials are never constant, are never flat, they are varied and realistic and realistically blend into each other. Even small details, light lightbulbs and refraction, or the sheen of the ink on printed paper, is great.
Texture resolution is constant, you never notice issues between textures of nearby objects with different densities.

So true the graphics are polished.

I thought this game use some kind of hbao+, if you look at the char feet or dead bodies laying you can see some dark halo, or when you walk up close to a wall, you can also see some shades like LOU indirect shadows but much more subtle. I think they are using a very light version of somehting similar to HBAO+ so they are not over doing it and make it look artificial like many games.

They're also very sad. No high-end PC games like Crysis anymore :(

I thought this game use some kind of hbao+, if you look at the char feet or dead bodies laying you can see some dark halo, or when you walk up close to a wall, you can also see some shades like LOU indirect shadows but much more subtle. I think they are using a very light version of somehting similar to HBAO+ so they are not over doing it and make it look artificial like many games.
This was discussed a few pages back. They're using capsules to calculate the AO for the implementation is much more basic than in TLoU.

As for the soft shadows, I think the engine supports different filtering and resolution options for shadows on a per-light basis so they can fake indirect shadows here and there.

Just played till the first Lycan encounter, rest is still downloading and.......

Boy! This is the next gen we were waiting for ! RAD need a standing ovation for what they have done here :p !! A fantastic opening , super sharp gunplay(so responsive! And guns feel so solid) and dude the visuals !!!!!!if this was a launch title we would have been disappointed with everything that would have followed ! For the first time in my life, it actually felt like I was walking around in a real 'From Hell' London/ WWII London !!!!! The gfx are special in a way that you actually feel like you are in a CG movie.

Love it !!!! If u have a ps4, u need to play this, if not, get a ps4 and play this. For once, let the world and their opinions be damned, this game is a next gen fantasy actually achieved in realtime :cool: ! Love the grim, dreary setting and the story premise. Loved the opening, can't wait to see where it goes.

Last edited:
Played till CH 3. Awesome game ! Gunplay totally rocks ! The first real firefight was super fast, super hectic, took 3 tries to nail. Playing on hard, felt blissful.

Is the trophy a "Platinum Mad" to achieve? or its fun? (especially for ppl that utterly hate QTE exept on a few exception games like Asura's Wrath).

tumblr_nf09laX8FC1rnc9k5o1_500.gif

Back